Regrets

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far I think my best find was a horseshoe and a nice carbine once. Not really that much.
My question is more about personal ethics I guess, not so much the legality of it.. Finding something valuable and making some money selling it would be great, I'd like to do it all the time. However, that ring I might have just found belonged to somebody before I found it.
Do they deserve to get it back?
Do I deserve to have it because I actively went searching to find something?
I know that there are things that I have lost that I would dearly love to have back in my possession, some valuable and some not.
I would like to think that if (and when) I find something of value that I would actively pursue finding the owner to return it. It would seem to be the right thing to do and lets face it, I think karma follows me around sometimes just waiting....
I would love to sell a ring I found for $10,000 and buy a new bike with it but would I always feel guilty? and should I?

I just read a post about someone returning a class ring and the owner was over the moon about it. A really good experience for him and the finder of the ring.
There must be the times though when you go through all of that only to get a mediocre thanks or even less. Or return something that the person had replaced by insurance, a win for them.
Has there ever been a time that you regretted either keeping an item or returning it? Did karma catch up with you?

Upvote 0

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
years go I was detecting an old abandoned stone quarry , didn't find much at all just plenty of snakes...I came across what must have been the office building which was in real bad shape but I had to go inside to check things out . inside was an old metal desk. I opened the drawers and found a small bible with a name inside and an address...took some time to find the lady who owned the bible but I did find her ..she was at the time in her early 90's and was shocked that I had found the bible she had as a kid, she misplaced it and never could find it...found out her grand parents owned the stone quarry way back when and they often took her there to watch the "big machines "work...anyway it was a good feeling just to she how happy she was to get the bible back, made my day

Great Story and Great Return...I bet that meant the world to her.

Kace

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only gold was a men’s wedding ring at myrtle beach. Only thing I could think of was posting it on Craigslist
I would return anything of value if I found the owner
If not, it’s my retirement money

Ps my raiding of bigwavedave 401k is his problem

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank You for sharing KevGA!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread