Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 9v Batteries

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23378 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I use rechargeable EB 600 batteries! last a few hunts, but recharge after each hunt now! I have one in the pin pointer an carry two in my back-pack, usually to loan to my friend who seems to always have a dead battery!
    jeff of pa and Loco-Digger like this.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    31143 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have a Problem with Rechargeable's Getting a Memory,
    Or just Going Bad. Even The Minelab Rechargeable's that are not Supposed to Get memories
    barely give me 2 Hours on a full charge. so I've switched to Alkaline's for a better chance of Steady Power

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    303 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    Jeff, NiCads are the ones that have a memory problem. NiMH do much better and have a higher capacity. The NiMHs that come fully charged or precharged are of a longer lasting formula for storage of the cells. In any case, a quality charger should be used.

I forgot to add to buy ones with a base voltage of 9.6v as the other voltages of 8.4v and 7.2v will not power your stuff sufficiently even though the batteries are not technically dead.
    Last edited by Swaveab; Feb 06, 2019 at 01:58 AM.
    jeff of pa likes this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    303 times
    Here is proof 9.6v batteries exist and I have this one.
    http://www.mahaenergy.com/powerex-9-6v-230mah-1-pack/
    Last edited by Swaveab; Feb 06, 2019 at 02:06 AM.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    31143 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaveab View Post
    Jeff, NiCads are the ones that have a memory problem. NiMH do much better and have a higher capacity. The NiMHs that come fully charged or precharged are of a longer lasting formula for storage of the cells. In any case, a quality charger should be used.

I forgot to add to buy ones with a base voltage of 9.6v as the other voltages of 8.4v and 7.2v will not power your stuff sufficiently even though the batteries are not technically dead.
    The Minelab Batteries are
    NiMH

https://www.amazon.com/Minelab-Batte...03383011&psc=1

They still don't Hold a Charge anymore.

12 Hour Charge Nets about 2 Hours Use. if I'm Lucky.
    & If I start with 2 Hours Worth of Batteries 30 minutes in they are 1/4 of the way Dead already.

If it sits for 2 Days after the Charge, & I Go out, I Usually end up Loading a Dead Rechargebale
    Or walk into the Field & Have to Walk back to the Vehicle for Alkalines 3 Minutes into my hunt.

I Gave up on Trusting any Rechargeables considering Price.

Plus the chargers Don't last Either.

Of Course I Just Purchased another Explorer Last Year
    that came with a Rechargeable. But No idea on it.

I'm more Comfortable Buying Alkalines off ebay Bulk these days.
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Feb 06, 2019 at 03:05 AM.
    Rawhide likes this.

us
    Sep 2012
    Beaumont, TX
    Garrett AT Pro Minelab Equinox 800 Fisher CZ-21 White Classic 3 SL
    49 times
    NiMH batteries are better than NiCad but they still go bad over time. Lithium ion batteries are the next generation.
    jeff of pa likes this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
    NiMH batteries are better than NiCad but they still go bad over time. Lithium ion batteries are the next generation.
    You're right that the Li-ion have their good points too, but no battery is perfect as even these diminish with time.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    303 times
    @Jeff, I can't say for certain what the problem is you are experiencing, but the batteries sound as if they're old and ready to die. Even rechargeables eventually die. I can't rule out that you got some bad batteries as it does happen or it could be something wrong in the charging process. Finding out can be expensive so go with what you know.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    23998 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    duracell costco dollar batteries you get what you pay for dint use rechargables in a pin pointer either
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Sep 2012
    Beaumont, TX
    49 times

Which batteries have you found with that voltage? All the NiMH I found are lower. What voltage are they after say an hour of use?

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    303 times
    Which batteries have you found with that voltage? All the NiMH I found are lower. What voltage are they after say an hour of use?
    See my post #19. The voltage is a nominal 9.6v, but it will be a bit higher after an hour of use coming off of a full charge. Even alkalines are a bit higher than their stated voltage for quite some time. BTW, you can find this battery at B&H for $10.95.
    Last edited by Swaveab; Feb 07, 2019 at 04:15 AM.

us
    Sep 2012
    Beaumont, TX
    49 times
    See my post #19. The voltage is a nominal 9.6v, but it will be a bit higher after an hour of use coming off of a full charge. Even alkalines are a bit higher than their stated voltage for quite some time. BTW, you can find this battery at B&H for $10.95.
    Sorry, I missed it. The Tenergy ones I have are 250 mAh so they may be the same. I just have never put a meter on them. They were recommended by several CZ21 users so I bought a couple of sets. I just haven't used them much yet. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190207-063339_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	1678307

Charter Member
    us
    Rawhide

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
    2044 times
    Those work. Rechargeable are nice but have found my detectors and pp work different. I try to run Duracell when possible, but every day hunts I just use the cheapest battery's I can find. I will say the only fault with cheap battery's is they leak so I never leave them in my machines. I would say always have a back up. I will say I have had the best luck with Duracell. But unlike my F75 that gets a lot of swing time on Duracells, my AT Pro gets just a few hours or about one hunt with any battery. My rechargables for my Etrac last about 4 hours, I have considered investing in the new dnb batts for my etrac. Hope this helps someone.

us
    Sep 2012
    Beaumont, TX
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Those work. Rechargeable are nice but have found my detectors and pp work different. I try to run Duracell when possible, but every day hunts I just use the cheapest battery's I can find. I will say the only fault with cheap battery's is they leak so I never leave them in my machines. I would say always have a back up. I will say I have had the best luck with Duracell. But unlike my F75 that gets a lot of swing time on Duracells, my AT Pro gets just a few hours or about one hunt with any battery. My rechargables for my Etrac last about 4 hours, I have considered investing in the new dnb batts for my etrac. Hope this helps someone.
    My experience with Duracells has been all bad. As I've said before I have lost several devices due to them leaking, much more than any other brand. They work fine as long as they are new but if I forget them in something like a flashlight for a few months and they will leak and a light without batteries in an emergency is useless.

If I'm not going to use my detectors for any more than a week or so the batteries are taken out just to be sure.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    303 times
    My experience with Duracells has been all bad. As I've said before I have lost several devices due to them leaking, much more than any other brand. They work fine as long as they are new but if I forget them in something like a flashlight for a few months and they will leak and a light without batteries in an emergency is useless.

If I'm not going to use my detectors for any more than a week or so the batteries are taken out just to be sure.
    I concur with your experiences with Duracells. I lost a very expensive flashlight due to leakage that occurred 1 month after I bought it and the batteries were supplied by the flashlight manufacturer (Maglite) to boot. Maglite offered to replace the batteries in the same flashlight and as a result I dropped both companies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links