Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Smokey and I have been working this site right in my back yard and its been pretty amazing. While Smokey worked on an epic hole I worked the periphery of the site to good effect. We've gotten a few cannon balls here so I was digging up every plowshare and tool in hopes. I even got a sledge hammer head. Finally I got onto the two grape shot, or " British walnuts" as they were called. They about blast your headphones off and its some work to get them out.
I got onto a nice little pile of KG2s and older colonial coins at 12-15". They rang loud and clear between 16-20. I kept pounding the site as I needed to pull out some bucket listers to try n keep up with Smokey. I was not disappointed. I got into a pile of 20-30 45 cal casings and they rang up beautifully. I just kept cleaning them up and suddenly I had the Charles 3 reale in my hand! Its beat up but was only as deep as the shell casings. Weird. Then I kept wandering until I hit another little pocket of coins. I could smell the Spanish silver and frantically flogged the dirt. I got another 25vdi on the Nox which was what the shell casings and the Reale rang in at. I cut a big plug and flipped and there she sat at about 4 inches on top of the plug. Shes rusty and dinged up but nice clean date on this Spanish 1/2 r pistareen from 1737 makes it my oldest coin with a date on it! I was pumped. I flogged up a couple more pieces of toast and then back to check on Smokey.

Needless to say she smoked me. I didn't have the patience for an archeological expedition but in hindsight I missed out. When she showed me what she had I jumped in that hole and dirt was flying out. Bones, pipe stems, ashes, rocks, buttons and some pottery and ceramics came up but my arrival closed up the good luck on her hole. I was amazed and perplexed how much metal is at the site at the 18-30" level. It could be we aren't finding the old coins since they are out of range of our detectors. The hole sort of petered out and we didn't know which way to dig and were pretty beat so we backfilled it and wandered around until reinforcements arrived.
My buddy came with about an hour to dig and said his bucket lister for the day was a trime. I laughed and told him this was the wrong era site for a trime but anything was possible. I took him to the back nine where I had left off and we started working a new chunk of ground. I was trying to grid it but the daylight was fading and he was wandering willy nilly. I got another beat piece of toast and tightened up my search and called him over. I got a 20 on the nox and squished the plug and saw silver. "I got one!"
I hold up the half dime and my buddy asks if I got a trime.
"Almost" I said.
He said his batteries were crapping out or his machine was messing up but he thought he had a signal. His wife called and he said he had to beat it home. I felt bad since he barely got to dig. I went over where he left off and got a 20 on the Nox. I flipped the plug and theres the cutest little button shaped like a flower. I get a 16-17 right next to that and TRIME! I yell out but I hear his truck revving and he's gone. I still haven't told him yet.
Next target, half dime and I wonder if I died and went to heaven! Then I couldn't tell which way was up in the headlamp and lost my holes. At that point I was alone in the dark and felt like Smokey and I had been through a great battle and were quite victorious so I decided to head for home. Somehow I didn't hit the 8 reale cobb cache but I know its there waiting for me with a few gold coins to boot. One thing this site and hunting with Smokey has taught me is dig deep and iffy and always assume its treasure in the hole. I'll also tell my buddy to speak only of gold coins, 8 reale cobbs and capped bust silver for bucket listers lol. It seems when you talk about a certain variety of coin enough it will eventually pop up. Here Virginia half penny....
There are two whatsits with the grapeshot n knee buckle. One has a cork plug in it and the hole goes through it. The other looks just like a silver trade brooch that has been featured here before but this one is gold plated or low carat gold and I find no reference for a gold one. I am pretty sure its period since it was in with everything else and theres almost no modern metal on the site. I'll do a wrapup with all the musket balls and buttons etc on this post but wanted to get a post in since I've been so busy digging. 2019 is going to be the year of bucket listers!

Attachments

• IMG_20190128_184829649.jpg
    IMG_20190128_184829649.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20190128_185117897.jpg
    IMG_20190128_185117897.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20190128_184819773.jpg
    IMG_20190128_184819773.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 117
Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tommy
Looks like you had a great day with all the old coppers and love that old "Bat Wing" buckle.
Your Heart is it Silver ?...
Kinda looks like some of the Scotland`s Luckenbooth Heart Love Trade Brooch`s... but i can`t find yours ,maybe a better search will find it ....love that little heart.
Gary

Last edited:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Are you kidding me? You guys are killing it!!! :thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No he's not kidding you. I love the title! And I'm glad some of my craziness is wearing off on others.

Last edited:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
No he's not kidding you. I love the title! And I'm glad some of craziness is wearing off on others.
Yeah that title is cool...you can figure it out but you MUST see it!!..lol

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And all true. 2019 is starting off magnificent. My one really good CW spot is frozen solid but March is coming!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys are on an amazing spot. Congrats on all of your finds. Any one of those coins would make for a successful hunt, but Wow!

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi GAP metal! It sure does look like a Luckenboothe but I haven't ever heard of a gold plated one. Its either gold plated or lower carat gold. I found it with some tombac buttons so I feel like it is an older item. What a day! We're frozen here now so back to plotting and dreaming!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice, keep diggin’

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all those great saves I’d be going back real soon. Congrats to both of you on what sounds and looks like a great day for both of you.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, right now it's frozen, however, that is going to end soon. In the 50's next week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread