Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It has been reported by a British insurance company that 11% of wedding rings are lost every 5 years. That comes out to be about 2.2% of wedding rings lost every year. If ring loss follows a similar trend in the USA, this would have some interesting implications which are explored first here!

White Gold Engagement Ring.jpg

What about engagement/wedding rings?
In 2018, there were 61.24 million married couples in the USA. Assuming that, say, 80% of married people wear a wedding ring; this suggests that about 2.7 million wedding rings are lost each year in the USA.

14k Gold ring on Day 2.jpg

What about GOLD wedding rings?
In 2011, 70% of engagement wedding bands were reported to be made of white gold in the USA. I’m confident most of the rest were platinum or yellow gold. The few remaining metals would be titanium, tungsten, stainless steel, etc., - those off-metal wedding rings we find metal detecting.

Tungsten and Multicolor ring.jpg

What about All rings?
The recommended maximum number of rings to wear is 2 or 3 rings across both hands, ignoring cluster rings. If we assume that the average adult wears 2 rings (194 million adults in USA), somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 ½ million rings of all types are lost each year in the USA.

Given that I found only 13 gold rings in 2018 and only 3 in 2019, so far, I’m going to stop writing now and get my detector and go find a few more gold rings…I know they’re out there!
Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it hard to believe that 70% engagement wedding bands are white gold. I think yellow gold rings far exceeds white gold rings sold in the U.S. But what do I know. There must be gobs of white gold rings in the parks that few folks ever find with their detectors as most found are yellow gold.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish i could find a ring. Boo hoo.

Matt.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I find it hard to believe that 70% engagement wedding bands are white gold. I think yellow gold rings far exceeds white gold rings sold in the U.S. But what do I know. There must be gobs of white gold rings in the parks that few folks ever find with their detectors as most found are yellow gold.

The ref for white gold is in reference to the year 2011. But it might be interesting to tabulate how many of each type one finds - for me along the Gulf most appear either white gold or Platinum (and a good number of the off metals).

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wish i could find a ring. Boo hoo.

Matt.

You have the right equipment and I see a Gold ring of some importance in your immediate future...:tchest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions