Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Permission Rejection Psychology

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    It is what it is, until it "Is" what it is.

Aug 2013
    Northern Utah
    I currently run White's Spectra V3i wireless, Fisher F-70, Garrett AT-Pro, Minelab Etrac. I have owned other Fisher, Teknetics & Garrett models. Hands on with Equinox 800, Garrett AT-Max, & New Chase
    160 times
    Metal Detecting
    Deep, this is without doubt the best thread I've read on here in years!
    Awesome!
    Stay Gold!

us
    Feb 2019
    Vernon, Texas
    Equinox 800
    22 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great post. Just one question, what did you do for ten minutes in a corner to gain permisson? Sounds a little disturbing.

us
    Deep1

Dec 2018
    Carolina Lowcountry
    Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
    345 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by 70ss454 View Post
    Great post. Just one question, what did you do for ten minutes in a corner to gain permisson? Sounds a little disturbing.
    Kind of a strange question and comment, but I'll answer it for you.
    I was riding around Sheldon(if you want to know where it is, look it up)looking for sites, came across a man cutting his 2 acre yard on a riding lawnmower. On this yard was a kinda new million dollar house and a Confederate camp and later a union camp.
    I stopped and asked if it was ok to metal detect his yard. The yard was not yet established and he was cutting more weeds than grass.
    He considered awhile and said he preferred not. While he was considering I was looking around the yard and saw a piece in the corner(if you don't know what a corner is,google it) of the lot that had been tilled for a garden. I pointed to the garden and asked if he would give 10 minutes to detect there and show him how I worked.
    After some thought,he agreed. 10 minutes, 2 eagle buttons and a knapsack buckle, later I stopped him on his lawnmower and showed him what I had found, offered him a button and the buckle, which he had no interest in and thanked him and asked him if he would reconsider. At that point he gave me the ok to do(metal detect) his yard.
    To answer you question of what I did in the corner was, showed the owner I cared for his property by covering my holes, made 3 nice finds and built his trust by showing him what I found.
    If it's old, I'll dig it, dive on it, detect it or sometimes when I get lucky just bend over and pick it up.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    XP ORX, T2SE, Minuteman
    141 times
    Metal Detecting
    It's frustrating.
    Years ago I used to fish and hunt regularly. It got so bad that idiots ruined it for me. They would go in without permission, leave trash and garbage everywhere, throw fish up on the banks to die, go "4 wheelin" and tear up land.
    The Land owners got tired of it, and although I was not the offender, they still painted me with the same brush- NOBODY has permission anymore they said. Was deeply upset over it for a couple reasons. #1- someone came in and abused/mistreated a nice person's property. #2- the fact I got booted out for nothing I did.
    In light of that and people being dangerous/stupid I stopped hunting. And due to a-holes ruining all my fishing permissions I stopped that too.

Well today we have a different bunch out in the lands. They are worse than the old ones back in the 90's. Not only do they trespass and destroy property they try to blame it on everyone else.
    So here is my take on the situaton.. Ask for permission and emphasize you care about their property(and if you can't truly say this and mean it you don't need to detect in anyone else's land). SHOW them you mean it. If you see something strange or funny TELL them about it. If you do not tell them it is possibly you can kiss that place goodbye. Treat the property as your own. Respect the owner. If you can't do that in my opinion please get yourself out of metal detecting and take up something else so you don't ruin it for all of us that use this as a release, exercise, and fun. Take up Golf or something-forget about metal detecting!

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    XP ORX, T2SE, Minuteman
    141 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 70ss454 View Post
    Maybe he showed the land owner he wasn't an IDIOT.
    ecmo and Deep1 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links