Hidden cost of selling your Metal Detector.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this belongs in this thread but I thought some of you might like to know.

Today was the first time I have sold and shipped a metal detector. I used paypal which charges a fee ($15-$20 dollars) then I boxed the machine in the original box surrounded by a larger box. (36" x 11 x11) roughly and shipped UPS with Signature and Insurance for $800.

Total cost to ship $55 that's from Indiana to Illinois

So the total cost on me to sell the machine was roughly $70 dollars off the selling price.

Then I ordered a V3i so..yeah I might be in the dog house if the wife asks to many questions.

Upvote 0

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you made out because PayPal usually charges 3.9% fees. If you had used the Bay that would have been another 13% in fees. I usually try to ship items via flat rate boxes provided by USPS, that’s how I shipped my Xterra 705. Congrats on the new detector and good luck.

KindManTall

Greenie
Sep 1, 2012
Merced Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ship USPS Ground $30 - $40 It only like 2 days longer than Priority almost haft the price ... Signature $3

My Choice UPS is offering a one time fee on all shipping of $70 do not remember if it a month or year

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that flat rate box would have helped. Also I declared Lithium Battery not sure if that raised the rate any or not?

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
eman, sorry about the costs, but you'll love the V3i,
Stay Gold!
Opie

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I quit shipping UPS. FedEx is cheaper and gets it done in 4 days. USPS is cheaper yet.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if this belongs in this thread but I thought some of you might like to know.

Today was the first time I have sold and shipped a metal detector. I used paypal which charges a fee ($15-$20 dollars) then I boxed the machine in the original box surrounded by a larger box. (36" x 11 x11) roughly and shipped UPS with Signature and Insurance for $800.

So the total cost on me to sell the machine was roughly $70 dollars off the selling price.

Then I ordered a V3i so..yeah I might be in the dog house if the wife asks to many questions.

Not really "Hidden" costs, as the fees are known. It's becoming MUCH harder to sell on Ebay if your profit margin is only $30-$50. I can't compete with Amazon if I sell factory knives on ebay.

V3i? Sorry to hear that. An overly expensive piece of heavy, intricate, and difficult to master equipment. Good Luck!:occasion14:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever I sell something that involves shipping, the cost of shipping and handling is on the person making the purchase. As a Tnet Charter member, you can sell on Tnet Classifieds. Then you avoid the sales charge.

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I totally understand being in the dog house. I picked up a White's Spectra VX3 that has a 2014 manufacture date but has never been hunted with or taken out in the field. Pretty much mint/new old stock that was a display at a detector shop. Well to be totally honest I didn't know about the manufacture date until I scrolled through a few pictures. Either way, my wife of 26 yrs is very upset with me.. So I'm going to either need to return the detector where I purchased from or sell it here.
I would need to price it at least $650-675.00 to cover shipping/insurance like you are speaking of. It's supposed to be here today. Not even received it yet.
Been in the dog POUND 3 days now.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably best to head off problems by discussing purchases in advance. Our possessions can really get out of hand. Often, the compromise is to sell something else first before buying the latest thing. My wife doesn't care about my buying metal detectors because she trusts me and knows that she can use them if she wants. But I had a kayak collection that was truly out of hand and she was absolutely right to "put her foot down" when I had filled a large basement with boats and started looking at hanging one that didn't even fit me from the cathedral ceiling because it was so decorative (to me). I've been in kayaks for about 50 years and know which ones do best in different conditions - so I had some for calm, others for wind, sea conditions, a few with enough primary stability to fish, some for just going fast, in different materials, like kevlar, carbon-fiber, fiberglass, and plastic composites, equipped with skegs and rudders of different designs, or none at all. Some had storage sufficient for a metal detector. Some were better suited for paddling with others, some for speed alone, some more scratch resistant when running onto the sandy shore to fossil hunt... Eventually, the fleet took up a full 75' length of wall in the basement, hanging 2 and 3 high from kayak hangers.

When she said "you have too many boats", I made a joke about it usually saying "you can never have too many boats..." but i knew she was right and moving to a smaller house after retiring forced me to sell all but 3 boats - one of which is her own.

All that said, I would be inclined to say "you can't have too many metal detectors"...

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably best to head off problems by discussing purchases in advance. Our possessions can really get out of hand. Often, the compromise is to sell something else first before buying the latest thing. My wife doesn't care about my buying metal detectors because she trusts me and knows that she can use them if she wants. But I had a kayak collection that was truly out of hand and she was absolutely right to "put her foot down" when I had filled a large basement with boats and started looking at hanging one that didn't even fit me from the cathedral ceiling because it was so decorative (to me). I've been in kayaks for about 50 years and know which ones do best in different conditions - so I had some for calm, others for wind, sea conditions, a few with enough primary stability to fish, some for just going fast, in different materials, like kevlar, carbon-fiber, fiberglass, and plastic composites, equipped with skegs and rudders of different designs, or none at all. Some had storage sufficient for a metal detector. Some were better suited for paddling with others, some for speed alone, some more scratch resistant when running onto the sandy shore to fossil hunt... Eventually, the fleet took up a full 75' length of wall in the basement, hanging 2 and 3 high from kayak hangers.

When she said "you have too many boats", I made a joke about it usually saying "you can never have too many boats..." but i knew she was right and moving to a smaller house after retiring forced me to sell all but 3 boats - one of which is her own.

All that said, I would be inclined to say "you can't have too many metal detectors"...

Good luck!

That's exactly what I did. Sold the Nox600, & some old handgrippers (not sure why I had 20 handgrippers?) , plus it's my 39th birthday present ..I figure I'm due a midlife crisis and I certainly didn't pay anywhere near full price as it is used.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly what I did. Sold the Nox600, & some old handgrippers (not sure why I had 20 handgrippers?) , plus it's my 39th birthday present ..I figure I'm due a midlife crisis and I certainly didn't pay anywhere near full price as it is used.

And far cheaper than buying a sports car! Happy birthday!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dog house does get cold I spend alot of time in there even the dog throws me out

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The dog house does get cold I spend alot of time in there even the dog throws me out

Forget the dog house, I was in the POUND waiting for that last needle. Thankfully I was removed from there and it has been ok since yesterday around here. Of course this is after I "made things right"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread