Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out with several folks digging farm fields looking for colonial items from one spot and CW items from another spot. This is what I found with a side by side with the Tesoro Tejon, XP Deus and Equinox 600.

All will find relics. We stayed close to each other and would call the other guy over to "check out this signal" before digging, to find out what the other machine would or would not do.

The Tejon is the hardest hitting, deepest machine. Excellent machine for finding the target in the hole. Deus also rocks when locating a target in the hole. The Equinox struggled to locate the target. I do not know why, but this was a repeatable effect. It's meter got "confused" and read various numbers even going into the negative range on a mid range target. Most of the targets were brass and lead. No silver coins were found on any of our sites.

Deus and Equinox were about equal in depth, again, with the Tejon going the deepest and giving the cleanest signal. On more than one occasion the Deus would just chirp, indicating it did see the target, but not enough to get the VDI to engage. On a couple targets the Equinox did not see the target at all but on a couple occasions it would also do a little chirp like the Deus to indicate it had seen the target.

Discrimination win goes to the Deus, as it had no issues telling hot rocks from aluminum from iron from good stuff. The Equinox's meter jumped around a lot. Both sites have some iron, but not a huge amount. The CW site has very little iron, compared to the colonial spot. The Tejon has a dual discrimination circuit, but takes no time to switch between them, but came in about the same as the Equinox, as it could not ID a hot rock as readily as the other machines, but it was no slouch.

With both the Equinox and the Deus, a large hand forged iron item might show as a high tone, but this is a known habit of both machines, however, we occasionally get a cannon ball on our colonial sites so you still want to dig it. Same with the Tejon.

Effective use of the coil: The Tejon with the 11 x 8 coil would yell out with a solid signal as soon as the edge of the loop passed over the target. The same thing happens with the Deus. The Equinox for unknown reasons would just chirp or squeak once the coil passed over the edge of the target, sometimes very faintly, and on occasion not at all, and only when you got within 4" of the center of the coil would you get a solid hit. Effectively, this made over half the coil useless. It also had trouble locating some of the brass targets while out of the hole! I can't figure that one out.

Now for settings. For the Deus, we used Deus Fast with the HF elliptical coil and the 31 hkz setting on version 5.2.

On the Equinox we used factory presets and used both Field 1 and Field 2.

The Tejon is an analog machine, so forget setting it like the others.

The best items were found by the Tejon, CW breastplate, minies and some others.

The Deus found a Virginia coat button, minies, buckles and buttons.

The 600 found some flat buttons, and misc lead. I think the finds were mostly a matter of which machine got over them first.

Just an observation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon, you are correct. I got another one new in box if nothing else to cannibalize if necessary, although my daughter is a whiz at electronics and I'm sure she could repair any detector in existence. Once upon a time ago, when she was in high school, I came home from work to find my brand new cassette tape deck (1990's) in pieces on the dining room table with numerous wires running over to the computer. She's in there doing something and yells quite loudly "MOM, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!" Well, I didn't. She was 15 at the time. So later everything was put back together. A couple days later I'm at the computer console and make a typo and this deep, male voice comes on and loudly states "You can't do that!" She had programmed the computer to play one of several audio clips anytime a certain set of typos were made. She has a computer science degree today.

I got a kick out of that story.
Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need hundreds of hours on any machine. ANY. The only time you need that is when you tweak the factory presets and goof up the machine's capabilities.

My rule of thumb is if I don't find something good within 2 hours, at MOST, I move sites. If I move to another site and don't find anything good, I then switch machines. Funny part is, I DO NOT go two hours without a decent target, the definition of decent is any coin, a button, CW bullet, etc. I am also picky where I go, I don't like wasting time, and I go sllooowww, which makes a huge difference. Even on my hunted out Civil War spots. On the other hand, I have 40 years experience doing this stuff, so how many hours is that? "Hours on the machine" is mainly for folks without much experience, and park folks, hoping to squeak out one more coin where 500 people have been there before them, not relic hunters. I don't have the patience for that. My cat arthritis tells me I have so many hunts left, make sure they've got a good chance of success in getting something besides a Zincoln. Heck even wasted Mercs only bring $1.15 or so. This 600 probably has 300 hours on it. I generally don't count by hours, but by days of the week.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the White's due to the lesser weight. And it's a lot less expensive. Having sold a few slightly used, they are NOT hard to sell. Seems whoever buys them, well, they pay 90% of retail when on an auction. I must NOT sell any more machines. NOT NOT NOT. I cannot under any circumstances wield a GPX machine. Only way I could, is to PAY someone to swing for me, which takes all the fun out of detecting! Just put the TDI together just now. Going to a PI type battlefield Saturday and trying it out. And the Tejon on this particular site.

Davers, since I can go only so long and hard, would you hit the "dug out" battlefield, which is NOT dug out first with the Tejon or TDI?

There is a lot of aluminum on the site.

I'd take em both out (like you stated) & learn the TDI as much as I could handle then switch to the tejon & go from there.

Your right about the Heavy GPX 'Tho I have never swung one ' I'd think being a Wood's mostly hunter digging deep holes through Roots & Rocks would kill me. I'd love to use one in the low country or Sand.

I also suppose that the TDI 'I have never swung either ' would "Beep/Freak out" on the Aluminum.
I also guess that being able to tell how deep a target is with the TDI. ???

Take both & go there as much as your allowed .
& Good Luck

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need hundreds of hours on any machine. ANY. The only time you need that is when you tweak the factory presets and goof up the machine's capabilities.

My rule of thumb is if I don't find something good within 2 hours, at MOST, I move sites. If I move to another site and don't find anything good, I then switch machines. Funny part is, I DO NOT go two hours without a decent target. I am also picky where I go, I don't like wasting time, and I go sllooowww, which makes a huge difference. Even on my hunted out Civil War spots. On the other hand, I have 40 years experience doing this stuff, so how many hours is that? "Hours on the machine" is mainly for folks without much experience, and park folks, hoping to squeak out one more coin where 500 people have been there before them, not relic hunters. This 600 probably has 300 hours on it. I generally don't count by hours, but by days of the week.

I'm a press & Go guy , I always used my XLT in the factory modes , except back light & bottle cap reject , volume.

I'd say I avg 1 usually fired Minnie per 6 hours of swinging . & only 2-6 Gen Service buttons a year , & 1 Confederate a year if i'm lucky.

I recall an article by Butch H in NSCWT many years ago called 'Leftovers' It was written as We N Ga Hunters will take the Va, Hunters "Bottom Pocket " finds as 'Top notch finds'.
Well it is what it is , guess ill try to find a Minnie or 2 by dark today ..Oh & a few fired 30? cal Balls ???

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder why they couldn't run the same battery setup on the Tejon as the Vaq. My one and ONLY gripe with the Tejon.

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, I picked up a Mars lion 7" dd coil for my tejon and from what I have seen using it, it's gonna stay on the tej. Goes almost as deep as the stock coil and really weeds in and out of the junk. If you'd like to try one, let me know and I'll send it to you to play with.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great post Smokey.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By mid week I'm putting a minie or button on a stick and inserting it in the ground until I cease getting a signal. Might be interesting.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

I absolutely agree with smokey on this. Once you've come to faith with your first detector, then you've a clue as to what you're listening for. Solid signal, and then solid again at a 90 degree swing is a dig, period.

I've owned many machines over the years, still have 6 or 7 (my best friend cat is asleep right now in my detector corner).

I can take any of them and make magic happen. If I bought another detector I'd never used before, the learning curve would be very very short.

That is unless you're into "programming" your machine. I question that philosophy. I ain't dickering around with any machine's settings.

I just want to turn it on and listen to what it is telling me.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Tesoro Tejon is a very good machine! I have found many awesome finds with it in the field! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tejon found minies today at 12 inches. It's going to play on a battlefield tomorrow.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it's tomorrow. We've got the Tejon, White's TDI SL, XP Deus, Equinox 800, Minelab GPX 4500, Fisher F-75 and a couple others in a mind blowing, ear splitting, thunderous (WWF style) head to head matchup today! Bring on the popcorn. Film at 11.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions