Attention: I found a cannonball and can not ID it.

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
I have found a cannonball and can not ID the type or date it was made.

I dug a cannonball here in South Texas last month. It looks more like a pineapple than cannonball.

I am sure it is an early form of a fragment bomb as it has serration?s all along the outside. It is about 5 inches wide, 8 lbs., has a brass cap with a copper center. I was talking to a collector who is in the business and he also has not seen anything like it. The 2? wide cap has been screwed on as it has scaring from a tool on its out side edge.

I could attach a j-peg but the file is too large for the TreasureNet mail (329kb). We believe it is from the French (Maxamillion) 1850-1860?s.

I also believe piece is still armed. I have it re burred on my own property, as I do not want to take any chances. I also need to know how to disarm a cannonball. I understand that there are a few who disarm as a hobby.

I am sure the local law enforcement or the government would do it their way. But I am not up for all that.

Here is the question Is there a sight or a cannonball expert out there that I could get in touch with to get an ID on it.

Have fun digging.

SW

Upvote 0

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dude, You must post a pic of this for anyone to help you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread