Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Little help for first time MD hunting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Bounty Hunter QD2
    718 times
    Metal Detecting
    I cannot believe people are advising the op to ask some clueless paper-pusher in a city office for permission to detect public areas. We all pay taxes. Just go detecting. It's pretty simple. I'm not saying jump the White House fence and start wildly swinging a detector, but for the love of God... If you cannot find anything in your own research prohibiting metal detecting in a public park, don't sweat it. Let sleeping dogs lie. *facepalm*

us
    Deep1

Dec 2018
    Carolina Lowcountry
    Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
    230 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by against the wind View Post
    SunnyRo,, welcome to the forum from Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania. Always approach the hobby of Metal Detecting on a legal manner. Ask for permission. Also, try not to take advice from Tom_in _Ca. The man is a little off.
    So I take it every time you walk your dog in a public park or drive your car on a public road, you call your local officials and ask permission?
    If it is public land and there is no express laws prohibiting metal detecting , you call and ask permission?
    How's that work out for you?
    There's someone off in this conversation but ,it's not Tom.
    Last edited by Deep1; Apr 16, 2019 at 09:29 AM.
    If it's old, I'll dig it, dive on it, detect it or sometimes when I get lucky just bend over and pick it up.

us
    Mar 2019
    KY
    Fisher Research Labs F2
    31 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep1 View Post
    So I take it every time you walk your dog in a public park or drive your car on a public road, you call your local officials and ask permission?
    If it is public land and there is no express laws prohibiting metal detecting , you call and ask permission?
    How's that work out for you?
    There's someone off in this conversation but ,it's not Tom.
    In defense of against the wind, this hobby places a great deal of emphasis on asking permission before detecting on private property. I don't think it's much of a stretch to extrapolate that guideline/rule to areas that have historically resulted in at least a few instances of "get off my lawn" or similar encounters.

For the record, I'm on the side of "unless there is a local ordinance or rule specifically prohibiting metal detecting, go ahead and do it; it's easier to apologize than ask for permission."

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9859 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by mh9162013 View Post
    In defense of against the wind, this hobby places a great deal of emphasis on asking permission before detecting on private property. ...
    Ok. But as you see, this was not about private property. It was about a public area with no express rule forbidding md'ing.
    Deep1 likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Mar 2019
    KY
    Fisher Research Labs F2
    31 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Ok. But as you see, this was not about private property. It was about a public area with no express rule forbidding md'ing.
    I know. As I said in my previous post, I didn't think it was a stretch to extrapolate the always-ask-for-permission mentality for private property to public parks.

Figuring out rules, regulations, what's allowed or what's prohibited ain't easy. That's why (or at least one reason why) there are so many lawyers and so much frustration with the legal system and government.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9859 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    I know. As I said in my previous post, I didn't think it was a stretch to extrapolate the always-ask-for-permission mentality for private property to public parks.....
    Well then this is where we're going to have to disagree. Because the moment we go down that road, is the moment you risk the: "No one cared until you asked" phenomenon.

I also don't agree that it's not easy to find out what's allowed and prohibited. If someone can't find the list of park rules (dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc...) on-line, and if they *really* feel the need to talk to a live person, here's a compromise: Go ahead and contact the pencil-jockey, and ask: "Where can I find the listings of any rules or permits that are applicable to the park ?" They should be able to direct you to where it exists as a web-link, or in binder form at city hall, etc.... If they try to say "what is it that you wanted to know?", you stick to your guns and say "To know where the public can avail itself of rules or laws that apply to the park's usage".

If there is nothing there that says "no md'ing", then so-be-it.

Personally I don't fret myself to that degree. But for someone who's skittish, that's an alternative.
    Tahts-a-dats-ago likes this.

us
    Deep1

Dec 2018
    Carolina Lowcountry
    Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
    230 times
    I know. As I said in my previous post, I didn't think it was a stretch to extrapolate the always-ask-for-permission mentality for private property to public parks.

Figuring out rules, regulations, what's allowed or what's prohibited ain't easy. That's why (or at least one reason why) there are so many lawyers and so much frustration with the legal system and government.
    Maybe it's different in Ky.
    Here in Beaufort, S.C., it's simply a matter of googling Beaufort, S.C. code of ordinances, Beaufort County code of ordinances or South Carolina code of laws.
    By doing so, I can research every S.C. municipal, county and state law.
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist or even a lawyer, you can actually do this yourself if you have a computer.
    If you don't own a computer you can wonder down to you local city hall or county admin and request to see their code of laws.
    It's all in public domain, They are clearly written, so it really doesn't take a lawyer to decipher, just a little common sense.
    It is your responsibility to know the law whether it is traffic law or metal detecting law.
    As far as asking permission to public property, I covered that in an earlier post.
    Research is vital to being a good detectorist.
    I probably do 5 hours of research to every 1 hour of metal detecting.
    Part of that resarch is property ownership.
    When I find a piece of property I want to detect, I will research history, ownership(private or public) which is complicated here, we have city, county, open land trust, heritage trust, historic land trust, WMA land, ACE basin land, state land, federal land and the laws related to each particular piece of land.
    I have been confronted by local, state and federal officials and all they could do was walk away because I was within my rights to be metal detecting on the property.
    I was once given a warning ticket by a possum popo. After I spoke district commander and explained to him the same thing I told the young man who wrote me the warning, that I had permission. I told the commander, that we had talked to the owner and he said I had permission, but yet he still wrote me a warning ticket.
    He assured me this will not happen again. Yeah right.
    I know my rights and where I can and can't go.
    I don't do that by picking up the phone and calling some official.
    I do my research.

I'm going to close with this funny thought that hit me while was writing this:
    i wonder when we're going to see a thread where someone says they called an official about metal detecting a piece of public property and gets someone who doesn't GAS
    and says yeah go ahead, no problem, only to get ticketed because it is illegal.
    Respectfully,Deep1
    cudamark likes this.
    If it's old, I'll dig it, dive on it, detect it or sometimes when I get lucky just bend over and pick it up.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9859 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep1 View Post
    ... i wonder when we're going to see a thread where someone says they called an official about metal detecting a piece of public property and gets someone who doesn't GAS
    and says yeah go ahead, no problem, only to get ticketed because it is illegal.....
    There's already been posts like this. Well, not "ticketed" (as I believe that's extreme fluke exceptions anyhow). But "severely reprimanded" and "scrammed". EVEN IN SPITE OF SOMEONE'S "YES".

One story that comes to mind, is the fellow who gets a "yes" from the front desk at the city hall park's dept. office. Later, some park dude came out yelling at him. The md'r proudly whips out his "permission" to show the griper. When the griper sees whose name is on there, he merely gets on his cell-phone, calls to that person's desk and says that the md'r is "tearing the place up" (which isn't true, of course). Whereupon the desk-person tells the field person that the md'r never mentioned that he'd be "digging".

The griper then severely reprimands the md'r for getting permission under false pretenses. Mincing words, deception, etc... The poor md'r was sent away with his tail between his legs.

Gee, I guess the way we need to phrase it is: "Hi, can I dig and destroy the park, and take park features for my own profit please ?" Lest you be "mincing words" and "failing to give your true intentions".

us
    Mar 2019
    KY
    Fisher Research Labs F2
    31 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well then this is where we're going to have to disagree. Because the moment we go down that road, is the moment you risk the: "No one cared until you asked" phenomenon.

I also don't agree that it's not easy to find out what's allowed and prohibited. If someone can't find the list of park rules (dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc...) on-line, and if they *really* feel the need to talk to a live person, here's a compromise: Go ahead and contact the pencil-jockey, and ask: "Where can I find the listings of any rules or permits that are applicable to the park ?" They should be able to direct you to where it exists as a web-link, or in binder form at city hall, etc.... If they try to say "what is it that you wanted to know?", you stick to your guns and say "To know where the public can avail itself of rules or laws that apply to the park's usage".

If there is nothing there that says "no md'ing", then so-be-it.

Personally I don't fret myself to that degree. But for someone who's skittish, that's an alternative.
    Fair enough and point taken.

I have thought about doing your compromise suggestion myself, if I can't find anything online.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6398 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    There's already been posts like this. Well, not "ticketed" (as I believe that's extreme fluke exceptions anyhow). But "severely reprimanded" and "scrammed". EVEN IN SPITE OF SOMEONE'S "YES".

One story that comes to mind, is the fellow who gets a "yes" from the front desk at the city hall park's dept. office. Later, some park dude came out yelling at him. The md'r proudly whips out his "permission" to show the griper. When the griper sees whose name is on there, he merely gets on his cell-phone, calls to that person's desk and says that the md'r is "tearing the place up" (which isn't true, of course). Whereupon the desk-person tells the field person that the md'r never mentioned that he'd be "digging".

The griper then severely reprimands the md'r for getting permission under false pretenses. Mincing words, deception, etc... The poor md'r was sent away with his tail between his legs.

Gee, I guess the way we need to phrase it is: "Hi, can I dig and destroy the park, and take park features for my own profit please ?" Lest you be "mincing words" and "failing to give your true intentions".
    Yup, if verbal permission can be easily given, it can just as easily be taken away. If it's written law, it's a lot harder to rescind.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links