Can you run your Whites 4x6 DD shooter at normal gain?

f3user

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2012
North MS
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, XLT, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I have a 4x6 DD coil that I purchased new several years ago. I used it a few times and put it in storage. I've used the 6x10DD for 95% of detecting but I've gotten tired of only finding clad in the parks so I decided to give the 4X6 another try. First time in awhile that I dug a TON of pull tabs, a nickel, a spoon and the usual clad. It felt good to be going slow and finding my first nickel in awhile. But I did notice if I turned the gain on my MXT Pro any higher than 8 (not even the triangle preset) it overloads. It will do it in the air or on the ground. I removed the coil cover even though it and the coil still look new. It made no difference.
It works fine though, I was finding targets at 4-5" (ground is pretty moist right now). I just wondered if that is common to have to reduce the gain on these tiny coils? I'd appreciate hearing from people who have used them and what gain they could run. None of my other coils behave this way so I don't think it is my machine. Thanks for any ideas.

Upvote 0

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello f3user,
I think that you have a defective 4x6. I had a problem with mine also but my problem was different. Mine worked fine when I got it but I didn't have time to use it for a few months. When I got it out to use it the MXT wouldn't ground balance sweeping to the right. It would sound off loud on a right hand sweep but work fine sweeping to the left. It would work okay if I set my gain at 5 or lower. I sent it back to Sweethome for evaluation and they sent me a new one that works just like it should. This has been over a year ago. You need to contact Whites and tell them your problem and I'm sure that they will fix you up. I have noticed that several people have had problems with coils the last few years and it is several manufacturers so something is up with coils. Good luck and by the way I love my 4x6 DD. It really separates coins from the iron trash.

OP
OP
F

f3user

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2012
North MS
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, XLT, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Nevada. I’ll call Whites tomorrow if they are open and let you know what they say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread