Emailed local Parks and Recreation about Metal Detecting - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Emailed local Parks and Recreation about Metal Detecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    9597 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You could try hitting the wooded areas of the park, non mowed areas. 100 years ago some of these areas were picnic / grove sites. I have never had a problem digging in County or Local park woods. 99% of the time no one knows I’m there.

us
    World's Grumpiest Old Man

Dec 2014
    St Helens, Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro
    135 times
    Metal Detecting
    I too felt the "need to heed" local officials. Rules are rules, after all. This compelled me to search private land, after seeking permission from the landowner. I quickly learned to use my own judgment when it comes to public land. Fear of lawsuits, coupled with a bizarre sense of "ownership" compels many officials to Just Say No to requests to search. For example, I received similar "search but don't dig" advice from a U.S. Fish and Wildlife "official." He said that he hadn't considered it before but, come to think of it, he wouldn't allow any detecting on his beach.

I would advise prudence and good judgment. When asked, many officials will say "no" in order to avoid hassle. Also, don't forget that it only takes one slob to set precedent. The real reason behind regulation is that too many people are trying to do the same thing . . . And doing so with no apparent concern for others.

That is why I am secretly rooting for Ebola.
    Last edited by Trapper John; Jul 01, 2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Joe-Dirt, ROIGuy and sprailroad like this.
    "There are only three things to do in this part of Oregon. You either work in the woods, collect disability, or grow weed. I don't work in the woods, and I'm not disabled."

- a casual remark made by a man I met while bushwhacking in rural Oregon.

us

Dec 2014
    St Helens, Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro
    135 times
    Metal Detecting
    As a rule of thumb, never flee from a person who carries a loaded sidearm - and is authorized by their job description to use it.
    Joe-Dirt and Dirt Eater like this.
    "There are only three things to do in this part of Oregon. You either work in the woods, collect disability, or grow weed. I don't work in the woods, and I'm not disabled."

Charter Member
    us
    Bob

Jan 2018
    Central Massachusetts
    Minelab Equinox 600, AT max, AT pro, 8 coils, 2 Garrett carrots, 2 trash barrels (full) and some dull shovels.
    5393 times
    Coin shooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    So, carefully snip off the ends, then wrap them in a ziplock bag with a few pine needles and grass and when asked what you are doing simply act appalled that you had to actually pick them up...............then, ask if they want to see them or take them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D960C91-0120-4190-B0B3-02D3FE8D0999.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	1728629  
    Trapper John and ROIGuy like this.
    “I was a kid once, but I wasn’t very good at it”

us

Dec 2014
    St Helens, Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro
    135 times
    Metal Detecting
    Right on, Bob. As Cicero supposedly once remarked, "O tempora, o mores!"

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    327 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    Make it more realistic as some of those needles should have rust on them.

us
    George

Jun 2019
    Ak,Tn
    Minelab, Fisher
    695 times
    Prospecting
    That's one of the reasons I always waited for after a rainstorm to hunt parks, the ground is softer for one and hotter too I might add, easy to dig and no damage can be done, I've seen the results of careless digging and why a park was closed.. If you are interested in finding things of old, spend some time in your local library in the 900 section or visit a local historical society and chat with some old timers, they have long memories.

us
    Samantha

Apr 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    White‘s Sierra Madre White‘s TM–600
    177 times
    Cache Hunting
    “ The best way to deal with bureaucrats is with stealth and sudden violence. “

–- quote attributed to former UN secretary-general Boutros Boutros-Ghali
    Last edited by Samanthy; Jul 06, 2019 at 01:49 PM.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pro Find 35 Pointer Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher F-Pulse Pointer
    1561 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yes, I'd detect the park just put the detector on low sensitivity/etc so you detect surface targets /recent drops only and easy to localize w pointer. Nothing wrong with that, particularly in high traffic areas where there would be regular drops. Targets in stone parking areas are on the surface anyways. Lots of advantages to surface (0 - 2") hunting, including not sweating your butt off or wasting valuable detecting time digging nails and foil pieces at 6 - 9". More sensitivity/deeper isn't always better and, besides, you'll cover a lot more surface area.
    RustyGold likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    19910 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdg8934 View Post
    As I live a block or two away from a local park, I found their website and asked about their policy on Metal Detecting.

Their response:

In response to the questions about metal detecting:

Metal detecting in of itself will not be a problem. However, digging into the ground to unearth an object is not allowed per the Park District Ordinances.

PARK DISTRICT ORDINANCES - SECTION 3.20 DESTRUCTION OF LANDSCAPE

“…No person shall pick, gather, uproot, remove or destroy any flower, plant or grass. No person shall remove or cause to be removed any sod, earth, humus, peat, boulders, gravel or sand.”

If you have any more questions you are more than welcome to contact me directly if that is helpful.

Derek Solberg

Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds

Mundelein Park & Recreation District
    ----------------------------------------- -----------------------------

It sounds like I can go metal detecting but I just can't dig anything up.

Any way around this, anyone can think of?

Thanks,

Tim
    The way around it is to not lean into it.

No sign prohibiting detecting then detect. IF you can detect without looking like you are doing something wrong.

And of course you leave no evidence behind you.
    That includes improper ,or improperly timed disturbance,plugs, moved monuments , cut wires,broken pipes....Shall I elaborate?
    sprailroad and RustyGold like this.

Sep 2017
    103 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Never ask for permission from public workers, 99.9 % of the time its easier for them to just say NO, kind of the same way as going up to people and asking them if the need life insurance .

Always keep a few pieces of shredded aluminum cans, rusty nails and box cutter blades, needles. What are you doing diggings Holes? "no I am just opening the surface of the grass and going down no more than 2 inches looking for old coins and such" and then show them the pouch full of dangerous items that you have just removed. Most police or public security/workers will say thanks and walk away. I did that the other day and the security officer was really nice after I showed him the garbage I was removing from the baseball field. If they tell you to leave, just leave and come back some other day or as others have suggested try the parks as the sun goes down.
    Last edited by IN DA HOLE; Jul 08, 2019 at 12:00 AM.
    RustyGold likes this.

Jan 2015
    104 times
    Someone mentioned “don’t ask,don’t tell” that’s great advise. Once you’ve been told “no” the answer is no, it’s always better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission. You could have detected that park forever with no problems.
    sprailroad likes this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Whites SURF PI; MXT All Pro
    16 times
    Metal Detecting
    I use a longer, thinner screwdriver sharpened like an icepick as long as I am only hunting clad and newer targets. Center up with MD, pinpoint 0"-3" items with good pinpointer, "stab" to locate target and then work a finger size hole and pop coins on edge and retrieve. Simply squeeze the hole back together. No plugs necessary for 99%. Deeper targets are your call.
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    31978 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I agree with Jeff I think peoples dogs do more damage than we do
    RustyGold likes this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    31978 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    welcome to tnet

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links