Not sure if I can continue metal detecting - health, restrictions, etc. - Saddened

tdg8934

Greenie
Jun 7, 2019
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500, Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been practicing in my back yard for a few minutes to a 1/2 hour on the weekend - Garrett Ace 350 / Pro-Pointer. I really enjoy it (except for the bugs-lol). I'm in my mid 50's and about 350lbs and getting up/down to dig my findings has been very hard if not almost impossible at times. I get grief from my wife about me doing this hobby at all - not supportive, and with restrictions in digging and not knowing where to go, I've gotten a bit down on this to the point where I have my detector and pro-pointer for sale on a local neighborhood app. Have others experienced this like I have? Any words of encouragement? I suppose the biggest issue is not being able to easily get back up off the ground (painful a bit on my knees if down too long also). I tried making a pvc pipe extension for my pro-pointer which helps but ultimately I need to get down to dig. I also have a short 36" shovel for metal detecting and digging roots (saw blade on sides) I found on Amazon. But I'm afraid to take it with me for fear of others seeing me digging up the park or wherever. For now in my yard, I have been trying to keep it simple with just my detector, pro-pointer and a screw driver for coin popping - but finding only pennies, dimes and many beer caps.

Thanks for your help. (Tim)

Upvote 0

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, this poster says he has health issues and is sad and heavy. Several people post that he should watch what he eats, instead of giving advice for detecting and the encouragement he asked for before he sells all his detecting gear.
He has health issues that most likely pertain to his weight and the detecting was his way of having fun, his wife didn't get it. Then he comes here for encouragement. The first post after his is about food. Then many others say the same. He's probably sold his stuff and never going to respond. I wouldn't.

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Timothy, you may be feeling overwhelmed by all of this "advice." I sure hope you haven't been scared off. A common sentiment seems to be supportive, understanding, and encouraging. Have you reached any conclusions at this point?

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Tim. This is a great site to be part of. Hope you can find a way to continue detecting. I find beach detecting to be helpful for bad knees. Just find a beach and get there real early in the morning before the crowd. Hang out on the shore line or in shallow water for an hour or so then leave. Nobody around, not as hot near the water and no bugs or people. Please just try it. Take care.

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bogeyman, after re-reading you post I remembered taking my grandson (age 14) to a "tot lot" for his first experience. He promptly found a clad quarter - but thus far has shown no further interest in metal detecting. To your point, the site allowed for easy going and aided in providing an introduction to the hobby.. My grandson may never swing a detector again, or he may recall the event and take it up in his sixties, as I did. What was more important to both of us was shared time afield on a nice summer day!

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, this poster says he has health issues and is sad and heavy. Several people post that he should watch what he eats, instead of giving advice for detecting and the encouragement he asked for before he sells all his detecting gear.
He has health issues that most likely pertain to his weight and the detecting was his way of having fun, his wife didn't get it. Then he comes here for encouragement. The first post after his is about food. Then many others say the same. He's probably sold his stuff and never going to respond. I wouldn't.

My post was the first after the OP. I have re-read it and stand by it. Unlike your post, mine was made in kindness. It was not all "about food". And the OP had already made a decision to sell his gear. But hey, if you get your kicks blaming me as the only reason why a new OP does not return - when new posters commonly do not return, go ahead and bring it on with your simplistic blame games and i won't see it anyway (you are now on my ignore list).

Last edited:

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, not very nice. Not blaming you. Just saying what is. He said he has health issues. And, he hasn't responded. Yes simple, if you have a good thing to say thats great. This guy is asking for advice for detecting etc, oh we'll texting doesn't always convey the exact message. No need to get in my face.

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OUCH. I sent Timothy a PM. Let's give him a chance to reply. If I don't hear from him within the next day I'll ask the Moderator for advice.

In the mean time, let's all be aware of the fact that there really are Trolls out there! They delight in lobbing a verbal grenade into an active forum and then sitting back while good folks eventually self-destruct by dropping out. We have to put up with this in other aspects of life. Some of us actually try to learn from and share with other ground pounders.

I'd include all of you in that category.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tdg8934

Greenie
Jun 7, 2019
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm here!

I'm still here guys! I have been reading your wonderful posts of encouragement. Thank you all. I think my main issue is I just can't get off the ground once down easily. Hard to lift up 350 lbs but I will figure something out. I plan on going to Ohio next month with my family for a long 4 day weekend visit (8 hr drive) where my father in law has built a house on what they call "the farm" which is an old piece of property in Elyria I believe. I hope to bring my detector (vice having an argument with my wife), 36" root saw shovel, pro-pointer, etc. Lots of wooded and open area, barn, garden, campground like settings to detect that I know wont be a problem. Hopefully I wont just find nails or junk. Set the Ace 350 to coins and I should be fine. I'm looking forward to it - but since I can dig, it wont be a problem as much getting up/down I hope. I'll keep the group posted of my finds (Aug 9-12). Thanks again! (Tim)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go get a folding heavy duty aluminum camp stool. Sit on it and dig. You NEVER need to go on the ground again. That's what I do. IMG_0453.JPG You will probably pass a sporting goods store on your trip, or find one locally. Since I drag mine around, I wear one out every year, but they are not expensive.

OP
OP
T

tdg8934

Greenie
Jun 7, 2019
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks smokeythecat. I do have a couple of aluminum camping chairs from Amazon that support up to 500 lbs. But now there's all the extra stuff to carry. Currently in my back yard, it's just been the Ace 350, and a screw driver in 1 pocket and pro-pointer in the other. I was carrying the garret ace large bag over my sholders where it had a PVC extension I made for the pro-pointer (good idea) as well a one of those grabbing devices for reaching items on the ground or up high (as seen on tv) as well as my 32" root saw shovel. I know the bag for the aluminum chair would be heavy and they having to get it out of the bag to set up each time...and dropping to the ground everything to unload each time...but your folding stool looks interesting where it could be easily unfolded each time. I'll look into that on Amazon.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey tdg: It's good to see you check in.

Should you want to experiment down the road with your Ace....
I get in the habit of having the 350 set on jewelry mode for general detecting.
Not to crazy on the sensitivity setting unless signals are far and few between. To much sensitivity can result in fun ,( for the onlookers) as you try to locate an ants pocket watch sized target...
Iron discriminated out just up into the lowest foil area. As you know , iron can still be observed on your detector when notched out. No bell tone like when it's not notched out. Though it (hitting iron and how the detector responds with iron notched out) can also "null" everything else out until you get away from the iron that triggered it.

I'll dig bigger foil and pull tabs. Only in hopes of sniffing gold. But if you can live with skipping the odds of gold ,you can reduce tabs.
Nickles you might want to recover. If you do...Your practice and experience will show by recovering them...

Your 350 likes bottle caps. Research can help locate some ideas on how to tell on some to most. (I tend to dig them. They sound so nice ,so have forgotten the tips to avoid digging them. Plus...I don't know what's below what I don't dig if they are left.)

So, if you get bored or experimental try jewelry mode. It's different and for whatever reason coins come better for me deeper. Deeper not meaning your feet sticking out of a hole before you find it , but better tones giving just a couple or more precious inches of clearer sniffing power it seems.

I'm wondering about a big footed cane for you to try. (See, I'm back to therapy in my mind. And yes ,I've been there) A triangle type foot exists on some models ,and a four footed one too.
The triangle (blunt edged not pointy) or a square with rounded corners as a "foot" can distribute more weight than a pointy cane tip.
A wooden cane can often be found on the cheap (and does not excite detecting equipment) .
Just leaving the foot and it's material strength, and attaching it to foot to consider.
There are press on kind of tri kind of feet seen in the past.
If you like to tinker you'll find a way to adapt I;ll bet.

You could build a foot (With a sheath to cover all edges above it for safety's sake) for the end of your shovel if your shovel is strong enough too maybe.
Add a t-handle or two ,who knows?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never take a carry bag, just a belt pouch. I use a long handled MD shovel, works as a cane too, I hate to admit that, but it's true. 1 drink, don't overload your stuff. I also take 1 pinpointer. I drag the chair behind me on a rope so don't have to carry it.

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tim, it 's good to hear from you! I was beginning to think we scared you off. There's a lot of room in these forums for different individual circumstances. When that changes, I leave.

One thing that strikes me is that some of us - me, for instance - are retired and have time on our hands. I note that you are a systems engineer and by your stated age I assume that you are still working. Perhaps you haven't had time to get used to this site. Sorry if I began to sound like you weren't real, but those are the (cyber) times we live in.

My PM and friend request were quite sincere. As for myself, this will be my last response to this message as I believe I've added all the value and encouragement that I can here. I hope that as time permits you will explore and post to other forums. There is a lot of knowledge to be shared and I hope to see you again as you interest, proficiency, and curiosity continue to grow.

And I hope that is true for everyone else as well!

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been practicing in my back yard for a few minutes to a 1/2 hour on the weekend - Garrett Ace 350 / Pro-Pointer. I really enjoy it (except for the bugs-lol). I'm in my mid 50's and about 350lbs and getting up/down to dig my findings has been very hard if not almost impossible at times. I get grief from my wife about me doing this hobby at all - not supportive, and with restrictions in digging and not knowing where to go, I've gotten a bit down on this to the point where I have my detector and pro-pointer for sale on a local neighborhood app. Have others experienced this like I have? Any words of encouragement? I suppose the biggest issue is not being able to easily get back up off the ground (painful a bit on my knees if down too long also). I tried making a pvc pipe extension for my pro-pointer which helps but ultimately I need to get down to dig. I also have a short 36" shovel for metal detecting and digging roots (saw blade on sides) I found on Amazon. But I'm afraid to take it with me for fear of others seeing me digging up the park or wherever. For now in my yard, I have been trying to keep it simple with just my detector, pro-pointer and a screw driver for coin popping - but finding only pennies, dimes and many beer caps.

Thanks for your help. (Tim)

Never say Never ! I'm 230 These days a Bit Lighter then you, But I've had my share of Leg pain.

Most places I've carried this. WILCOX Trawl. 21 Inches Long. I Don't remember original Size, Probably 24.
I've ground it Down a Few Times Sharpening it. From Kellyco

DSCF0001.JPG
New c0fde02.jpeg

I Hammered the Digging end into a U shape, for more Stability when prying. & Padded the Other end,
To save my Palm. & mostly Used it as a Push Cane, to Push Myself up onto my Feet.

Except for Super deep digs, I Don't Dig with it.

I've never Been Questioned On Digging with It though.

a weeder is Preferred
for digging
shopping.png
I Thought I was Done.

Since I Had Congestive Heart Failure and
a Quadrupedal Bypass.

My Legs have Gotten their Muscles Back .
& My Lungs Have Gotten Much Better.
I No Longer get Chest Pain.

& Though I Do get some Back Ache, I Think Just need to Get more Exercise.
Hard to do with worst Weather in Years But, Again, Never Say Never ! Not Wishing that on You ... But Good Luck, Beats Siting & Vegging :icon_thumright:

OH & Knee Pads ! They will do Wonders !
coffee2.gif

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck Tim when you go on vacation. I know it will be difficult sometimes but I think you will have a blast.
Show us your finds when you return.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck Tim!

This is a great hobby that I use for relaxation when I get a chance. Unfortunately I don't get as much of a chance as I would like.

Keep at it and hope you find some good stuff, it will motivate you even more.

Pete

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never take a carry bag, just a belt pouch. I use a long handled MD shovel, works as a cane too, I hate to admit that, but it's true. 1 drink, don't overload your stuff. I also take 1 pinpointer. I drag the chair behind me on a rope so don't have to carry it.

I wish I could use a belt pouch - but weight in one just helps pull my pants down. I use a carpenter's nail apron that goes around the neck and ties around the midsection. Not ideal, but it puts the weight on the neck rather than the belt. We must make a sight out there!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Jeff, I've used wilcox trowels for a long time, thinking about 40 years. I like the quality of the stainless steel. They are good tools where digging is easy, but in the last decade or so, there have been some amazing digging tools. There are reviews of them on this site.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Timothy,

Megalodon has some very good points! The most important thing is your health, in time with effort you will be in a better position to detect. :icon_thumleft:

Good Luck and May God Bless!

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread