Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: Not sure if I can continue metal detecting - health, restrictions, etc. - Saddened

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1575 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    LOL no I've Have a Pair of "Real Tree" Suspenders https://www.suspenderstore.com/realt...SABEgJoh_D_BwE from Walmart

I saw a Pair with Nuts & Bolts online https://www.absoluteties.com/nuts-bo...SABEgKC-vD_BwE

but I don't think anyone else has thought about Detectors or Teeth.
    Never know though, I Never thought of Nuts & Bolts
    Thanks again Jeff!

Do the metal clips set off security metal detectors? Occasionally I go through actual security at gov't buildings and have to remove my belt. But I've seen no instructions to remove suspenders. (if I was dangerous, I could pinch somebody with those suspender clips..."Watch out - I have suspenders and I'm not afraid to use them")
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jul 06, 2019 at 08:35 AM.
    jeff of pa and Real of Tayopa like this.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    32172 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Thanks again Jeff!

Do the metal clips set off security metal detectors? Occasionally I go through actual security at gov't buildings and have to remove my belt. But I've seen no instructions to remove suspenders. (if I was dangerous, I could pinch somebody with those suspender clips..."Watch out - I have suspenders and I'm not afraid to use them")
    I don't know I Only started Wearing them Recently, But I Have almost always Set off those Detectors.
    they just use their handheld Garrett Wand & Pass me through.

us
    Dec 2014
    St Helens, Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro
    113 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I wish I could use a belt pouch - but weight in one just helps pull my pants down.
    Now that just cracks me up!
    RustyGold and Hughett like this.
    "There are only three things to do in this part of Oregon. You either work in the woods, collect disability, or grow weed. I don't work in the woods, and I'm not disabled."

- a casual remark made by a man I met while bushwhacking in rural Oregon.

us
    Dec 2014
    St Helens, Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro
    113 times
    Metal Detecting
    OMG Megaladon - Western Civilization as we know it is doomed!
    RustyGold and Hughett like this.
    "There are only three things to do in this part of Oregon. You either work in the woods, collect disability, or grow weed. I don't work in the woods, and I'm not disabled."

- a casual remark made by a man I met while bushwhacking in rural Oregon.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1575 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
    OMG Megaladon - Western Civilization as we know it is doomed!
    When you think about all the stuff we carry in and pack out in & on our pants, I'm surprised metal detecting butt has not replaced plumber's butt in popular lexicon.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    311 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    Hi Tim. I'm in a similar boat as you are. Over 300lbs and arthritic. I have a herniated disc as well so I know the pain too. I don't get out much to detect, but my detect sessions are short. It will come to an end for me sometime down the road due to other medical reasons, but no matter what I still try to do some detecting at some time. Activity is vital for everybody no matter ones age or health. Not easy in many cases for sure. I do use knee pads and would love a chair, but as you pointed out, there's allot to carry as it is. Using a long digging tool to prop me up is something I haven't tried as I haven't carried a big long digger on a hunt in quite awhile. It's a minimizing of things needed to be carried thing. Mine is straight handled though and I suspect a D handle would suit better or like the one that was already pointed out with a question mark shape to it. I also know of some garden type stools that you can kneel onto and are versatile. I just haven't tried anything like them as of yet and again, it's more to carry. You aren't the only one that has the problems you face. I also know other detectorists won't go with you because they think you'd hinder them somehow. Maybe, but most just don't want to share finds with anyone else so you get to do this solo. I too am going to keep a heads up on this thread to see if any NEW ideas come forth that may help.
    RustyGold, Hughett and Hawks88 like this.

us
    May 2019
    Northwest GA
    Garrett gta x 1250
    799 times
    Don’t give up and don’t sell if you haven’t already. Use the hobby as Motivation. Find a local club. If you where in my area I would go and dig it up for you. Good luck! As for your digger issues. Open carry a big gun Holstered to you your belt. They most likely will not say anything about your shovel.
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    Timothy Gilmore

Jun 2019
    Mundelein, IL
    Ace 350
    27 times
    Metal Detecting

Scooter - Bank Coins - Ohio farm dig metal detecting news.

I can't wait for the Ohio hunt at my father in law's farm. On a related note: I bought an EMS-48 scooter that is fast - can go up to 25 or 30 MPH on a 45 mile electric charge. I'm getting my Outback fitted tomorrow with a towing hitch and will pick up a carrier for the scooter. I have also ordered a small crate size trailer (2 wheels) that hitches behind it to carry my metal detecting stuff. Its really for my wife to get her out of the house (doesn't drive) but I'm going to use it also when I can. I'm not sure if I will need to take it to Ohio from Illinois but it's doable.

Other exciting and surprising news. My recently married 30 yr old son from KY (grew up in CA) texted me as he is getting into metal detecting and has an Equinox 800 ordered. I told him about this site being the best there is in treasure finding. Currently he just started buying 1/2 dollars in large quantities from his bank ($5K-$10K) and has found a few 90% silvers but mainly 40% and clad(?). I'm sure he'll be a new member if not already soon. Too bad he didn't live so far away in KY as I'm from IL.

I'll post pictures of my detecting in Ohio in a month from now when I go.

Tim
    releventchair and Hughett like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links