Coin beach Delaware - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Coin beach Delaware

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2518 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    I disagree on Too deep

2013 Sunday Coin Beach

The water , From the Ocean was Washing up on the Beach.

I bet if you go to Coin Beach Right Now, The Water is Washing up on the Beach.
    You will not have to walk to the Edge & look down 8 Feet & I Doubt the Ocean has Risen 8 Feet
    in 6 Years

I think All the sand they Place on the Beaches Washes out to sea
    In a short Period of Time & Levels off Where it Should Be
    There are times when sand is deposited onto a beach and that deposition buries items. I hunt fossils at a Bay beach nearly every day and see a huge variation with storms. Wind from the south, east and southeast cause sand deposition on the west side of the Bay. It buries items under fine sand and hunting is a waste of time but still good exercise. Strong sustained wind from the W and NW are more likely to do two things - cause a blowout and also carry fine lighter sand off the beach with wind-blown currents. I use an old model T truck transmission tunnel buried in the sand as a guage of how much sand is on the beach. The ocean is a bit different, but the principle of moving sand is the same. it has nothing to do with sea-level rise. The beach is still sloped - but there is no doubt that the depth of buried items on a beach changes greatly with the amount of sand either deposited or removed.

In the most perfect conditions when fine sand has been removed by wind and storm generated currents, coins will be on the surface sitting on pedestals of sand, just waiting to be picked up. Its a beautiful thing about beach hunting but it is rare.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jul 13, 2019 at 05:45 PM.
    jeff of pa likes this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2518 times
    The most disappointed I ever was with a MDing partner involved a missed opportunity at Coin Beach in the mid 1980's. He wanted to hunt Ocean City and I wanted to hunt Coin Beach and we discussed/argued about it all the way - about 2 hours. I acquiesced only because he had so much experience hunting Ocean City. The hunt was terrible for me because I don't care about all the clad garbage and junk jewelry. I insisted on going back via Coin Beach even though it would be dusk when we got there. When we got there, we were greeted by a Boy Scout troop on their way out and all the kids were carrying 5 gal buckets of coppers - surface finds! Some were heavy enough for the kids to struggle under their weight - maybe 1/4 to 1/3 bucketful. Every bucket had at least the entire bottom covered with coppers. I already knew we had made a big mistake and here was the proof. We pulled out the detectors and hunted until dark, each finding about 15-20 coppers just under the surface.

I didn't have to say anything on the drive back, but hearing that I was right all along has never felt so unsatisfying.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jul 13, 2019 at 05:46 PM.
    jeff of pa likes this.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    33985 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've never been Much of a Fan of Beach Hunting.
    When I Had a Bad Heart the Worst Part was walking To & From the Beach.
    And when I Joined in on Beach Competition Hunts, I Got Chest Pain
    Just from Trying to Hurry around the Hunt Area.

I Felt Comfortable Heart Wise, When Casually Hunting, Actually Felt Great.
    But Paid for it with Sore Calves. They would Tighten Up once I Rested.
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2518 times
    It takes me about a day to recover from one of my fossil hunts and I'm 64. The hike itself is not the issue - its only about 4.5 miles. The beach is the worst I have seen in 40 years. The floods last year undercut the trees at the edge of the cliffs and the trees crashed down onto the beach into the water. A lot of them are covered either with poison ivy or thorns, including large locust thorns. So I have to climb over, crawl under, or walk around the trees in water to chest deep being careful not to scratch skin that would be exposed to Vibrio infection. Because wading around trees would soak a backpack with Vibrio contaminated Bay water, I don't pack water - which means sure dehydration. I will not drink from a canteen or bottle exposed to Bay water. If conditions are absolutely perfect like consecutive days of 20+ wind from the W or NW, I'll do two days in a row. My fossil hunts take from 4 to 5 hours, depending on how much shoreline is exposed. I bracket low tide.

The heart stuff is scary. I almost went to the hunts at Sandy Point SP in the fall, but lack that competitive instinct. I'd probably get distracted by an interesting bird in the middle of the hunt.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jul 13, 2019 at 06:49 PM.
    jeff of pa likes this.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    33985 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yea I've been to Sandy Point's Hunts twice. Hunted Once
    As I said, I only lasted 10 - 15 Minutes before Chest Pain Drove me Out of the Hunt Field.

Hunted Twice (I think ) at Atlantic Cities Minelab Hunts.
    Same Thing As soon as it started The chest Pain started "Stress"
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Jul 13, 2019 at 06:54 PM.
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2518 times
    Sandy Point SP is one of the better places in MD to see raptors migrating south in the fall. I just knew if i saw something cool, I'd be too distracted. A snowy owl and forget it, I'd be finished.

As soon as I turned 62, I bought a Golden Age Pass from the Maryland Park Service for free admission and boat ramp use for life at Maryland state parks. (Also got the National Park Service federal recreational lands pass.)
    jeff of pa likes this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    2518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    Yea I've been to Sandy Point's Hunts twice. Hunted Once
    As I said, I only lasted 10 - 15 Minutes before Chest Pain Drove me Out of the Hunt Field.

Hunted Twice (I think ) at Atlantic Cities Minelab Hunts.
    Same Thing As soon as it started The chest Pain started "Stress"
    The last hunt I went to was a Federation hunt at Atlantic City, thinking about 1986 or so. There must have been 500 of us. I went with a friend (not the guy who insisted on hunting Ocean City...) and he found one of the tokens for the grand prize - a mustang parked right on the beach. He got in line by his token number which was second to last (thinking there were 20 tokens). They were smart about not allowing the guys to try the keys - these guys would have broken the ignitions... They had a cute girl in the driver's seat and she put the keys in and tried them. It came all the way down to him and the last guy, so he had a 50:50 chance to win a new car - and his key didn't start it.
    jeff of pa likes this.

Jeff, your coins were found in the golden 9 months after Sandy. I think my last one was in 2014. After that, we detectorists got them, or most of them. Another big storm or the guys playing with bulldozers is what is needed.
    jeff of pa likes this.

us
    TexasJeff

Sep 2019
    New Caney, Texas
    White's MXT & Garrett AT Gold
    68 times
    Metal Detecting
    Depends on whether the beach is sanded in or has been recently eroded. If eroded, beach hunt. Find a good rip with erosion detect it. Water is always good unless conditions suck.
    A2coins likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links