Looks on the beach - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree440Likes

Thread: Looks on the beach

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2003
    Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
    16 times
    Doug.
    I lived in India for while,Ha,try that!..I had a Family pass by where I was resting on a Rock at the beach.My Fins and Mask were on the Rock.They stopped and asked what are those for? True Story.Country Folks I would Guess.
    A2coins, SD51, Hawks88 and 3 others like this.

us
    May 2014
    Cumberland, VA
    White's coinmaster pro Garrett at pro Equinox 600
    90 times
    Anywhere I can find coins
    Wow, I didnt know when I started this thread there would be so many great replies. Thanks guys.
    A2coins, Truth, RustyGold and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    27944 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    See what you started
    Hawks88, RustyGold and dsdigger like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1483 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug H View Post
    This has been referenced in different threads but I couldn't find a thread devoted to the topic. Going to the beach the past year or so has meant grabbing the fishing pole and leaving the AT PRO at home because I wasn't happy with the way the PRO performed in the salt. Yesterday I went to the beach with my equinox for the first time. Here's the thing...I had forgot about all the weird looks and stares I get when metal detecting on public beaches. Detecting on land if someone sees me it's like "oh look, there's a guy metal detecting". But on the beach it seems like its "there's one of those creepy old guys with a metal detector". I equate it to the looks and stares that some handicapped or obese people get. I never do anything to shine a bad light on this hobby but sometimes I think I'd like to scream "what the hell". Just wanted to see if you experience this and what your thoughts are when it happens and do you do what most of us I assume do and just ignore it.
    I confess to being the likely source of "the creepy old guy" persona, and I don't even need to have my metal detector with me!
    dts

us
    May 2014
    Cumberland, VA
    White's coinmaster pro Garrett at pro Equinox 600
    90 times
    Anywhere I can find coins
    Quote Originally Posted by dts52 View Post
    I confess to being the likely source of "the creepy old guy" persona, and I don't even need to have my metal detector with me!
    dts
    DTS you dont look like a creepy old guy in that picture although I cant tell, is that a skunk your holding? :
    Last edited by Doug H; Jul 27, 2019 at 09:39 PM.
    A2coins, dts52, dsdigger and 1 others like this.

Jul 2019
    25 times
    I am not prejudice and will hunt any and all parks and playgrounds. The ones that really catch people’s attention is detecting in the black neighborhoods. People come out on there porches and in there yards and will gather to watch me. Sometimes people will walk up and ask me what I’m looking for and if I found anything and what the machine cost. Second to that would be kids, I may not see them but they see me and I’ll have a group following me in no time asking a million questions. They don’t bother me and I usually let them keep what I dig up.

Mar 2014
    Pembroke Pines, Fl
    Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2. Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
    333 times
    I simply keep myself focused on my machine and the digs, most folks that approach me are friendly. When I get a smart ass I put them in their place with an equally smart comment.
    SD51, Hawks88, trdking and 3 others like this.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pro Find 35 Pointer Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher F-Pulse Pointer
    1549 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If you want to be left alone on the beach dress as a Clown with face paint while using your metal detector and I guarantee EVERYONE including children will leave you alone.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneshirt View Post
    Doug.
    I lived in India for while,Ha,try that!..I had a Family pass by where I was resting on a Rock at the beach.My Fins and Mask were on the Rock.They stopped and asked what are those for? True Story.Country Folks I would Guess.
    I spent a year in India as well. Where were you? I was in the south Kerala State Trivandrum Right off of MG Road (Mahatma Gandhi) Its true, they are not hip to certain things from other cultures and are very curious about things that are American. They try to emulate us and was often asked if something they had was American and if, not they were very eager to know what was and where to get it.
    RustyGold, A2coins and dsdigger like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, 720i Stealth Scoop
    7094 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    One time a kid was following me around at Seal Beach and was super curious about it all and that I was treasure hunting especially. When I got a hit in the damp sand with his help we pulled out a quarter. I gave it to him and said “here is your first treasure” he was so happy!
    Unbeknownst to me two Older gentlemen we’re watching the episode unfold and as I looked up they nodded their approval.
    It was a very good day!

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGold View Post
    One time a kid was following me around at Seal Beach and was super curious about it all and that I was treasure hunting especially. When I got a hit in the damp sand with his help we pulled out a quarter. I gave it to him and said “here is your first treasure” he was so happy!
    Unbeknownst to me two Older gentlemen we’re watching the episode unfold and as I looked up they nodded their approval.
    It was a very good day!
    Better than hooking kids on drugs by far!!!
    RustyGold, dts52 and dsdigger like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    1483 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    Not a skunk but two black bear cubs. Their mother was tranquilized while our state wildlife folks weighed her, took blood, gave her ear tags, etc. They were the cutest little guys imaginable even though they scratched the heck out of my face trying to climb higher - I guess that's their natural instinct when creepy old guys hold them-climb to the highest point!

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    1483 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    Better than hooking kids on drugs by far!!!
    Good karma! Nice job.
    dts
    dsdigger and RustyGold like this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2029 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dts52 View Post
    Not a skunk but two black bear cubs. Their mother was tranquilized while our state wildlife folks weighed her, took blood, gave her ear tags, etc. They were the cutest little guys imaginable even though they scratched the heck out of my face trying to climb higher - I guess that's their natural instinct when creepy old guys hold them-climb to the highest point!
    My only regret about retiring after 32 years at DNR is that I didn't get to do exactly what you are doing - hold bear cubs. Unfortunately, the timing was wrong and bears were weighed and examined at the western part of the state. Would have been the best retirement gift ever.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Yesterday at 09:20 AM.
    SD51, dsdigger and RustyGold like this.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links