May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been referenced in different threads but I couldn't find a thread devoted to the topic. Going to the beach the past year or so has meant grabbing the fishing pole and leaving the AT PRO at home because I wasn't happy with the way the PRO performed in the salt. Yesterday I went to the beach with my equinox for the first time. Here's the thing...I had forgot about all the weird looks and stares I get when metal detecting on public beaches. Detecting on land if someone sees me it's like "oh look, there's a guy metal detecting". But on the beach it seems like its "there's one of those creepy old guys with a metal detector". I equate it to the looks and stares that some handicapped or obese people get. I never do anything to shine a bad light on this hobby but sometimes I think I'd like to scream "what the hell". Just wanted to see if you experience this and what your thoughts are when it happens and do you do what most of us I assume do and just ignore it.

Upvote 0

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humans are funny. If we see something different or unusual we stare it’s normal human being behaviour. I think some people are intimidated by us. We stand out amongst the ordinary like a black sheep on the beach and I love it. I’ve always liked being different than everyone else. Some people are scared of being different and follow the norm. Some people are also jealous of other people who stand out and are doing something they never thought of. Most people I think are actually saying to themselves when they stare is .. “that would be cool”...I bet he finds some good stuff “why didn’t I think of that”.

I used to work with a guy who had a Harley shirt that said "If you want to be like everyone else, Ride the bus"

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let-em look its free that's all there good for. your doing something constructive like finding treasure there just jealous

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You mean looks like this. Girl on the left is dripping with Grrrrrrrr! Then stopped me and all turned out ok. Funny how things change when you show them a bit of gold. 964E99C5-943D-46F2-A359-D67DE94C3730.jpeg

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind the stares as it gives me a good excuse to go over and talk to them in my "Psycho" voice. Ten minutes later there is a whole large section of beach cleared out for me to hunt. :)

Seriously, I do not care - I've been doing this for so long that I have grown used to the stares. However, if I'm on a beach detecting and I see a couple of people looking my way, I will see if I recognize them and if I do, I will walk over and visit with them. As luck would have it, I usually talk a few into giving my detector a try. As they are walking around with it, people will come up to them, or me, and start asking questions. This is a perfect opportunity to get new Detectorists involved in our hobby and for me to go virtually unnoticed from that point on.

An easy way to break you of your shyness, and break the ice with "company" is to get dressed in your metal detecting garb and head out to the beach, yup... a Nudist beach, and start detecting. You will find out in about 5 minutes who the SHY ones really are and find out that it's not really you.

-DH-

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experiences at the beach, while metal detecting, for the most part has been a positive one. When I first started I was a bit shy about being in front of people but as I gained more experience and confidence that all has faded.
After awhile you know where to position yourself so as not to “get the looks” or kick the hornet’s nest.

PM sent.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You mean looks like this. Girl on the left is dripping with Grrrrrrrr! Then stopped me and all turned out ok. Funny how things change when you show them a bit of gold. View attachment 1813024

Holy Moly! Even a holy man would check that out. Simply ridiculous to dress like that and then be offended if you get looks.

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dc.gronlund

Jan 24, 2018
portsmouth, va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelabe Excalibur II
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Garrett "Carrot"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try doing in Japan. The locals seem to get very intrigued, and follow or watch very closely, haha. I had a couple gals steal a pop can I unearthed and took pics with it, haha. Most of the time it's young kids that want to see. If i happen to pull a coin, I'll give it to them. Other times its older folks that say thanks for cleaning the beaches. I've never had a bad experiance...yet, haha.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to go at the crack of dawn to avoid the crowds. When people start arriving, I know it's time to leave. I still manage to get in a good few hours though...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Low Tide, 5:00am, Jones Beach, Long Island, NY

Attachments

• jones71911 003.jpg
    jones71911 003.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 73

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not a beach hunter (yet) Im typicaly in my local parks. Always have had plesent interactions with people. Im fairly anti-social and would rather mind my own business. It seems every time I go out at least one person asks " Have you found any gold today?" Unfortunately my answer is always no. I've NEVER found any gold.

Only one time someone yelled out there car window "STOP FREAKING DIGGING HOLES!" but they didnt say Freaking... Takes a real big person to make a drive by comment like that.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe most are jealous. Have met so many people who tell me they always wanted to metal detect but never did. All people have some treasure hunter in them. Most repress it. We Dont !

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at Hampton Beach a few years back with my AT Pro when I was approached by a couple foreigners (I think middle-eastern) and asked if I was looking for oil. Am I missing out on a big opportunity?
dts

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Put on earphones and ignore everyone. But don't detect close to people. Keep away from them or pick a time when there are not many people on the beach like early morning plus it is cooler.
I have not gotten those type of looks on the East or West coast of FLA. Some will ask if you found anything, but earphones keeps most people from disturbing me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread