Went and tried my hand at water hunting.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have been wanting to try to hunt of local lake, Lake Ponchatrain, which I already know produce some old coin relics that used to be used by ships from New Orleans to my neck of the woods for trade. Well with the heat and everything things lined up with the low tide being at 6am, I have the stealth scoop, I bought chest waiters the whole 9 yards. Well water hunting absolutely sucks!! I can’t do it it’s not for me. I’m a dirty mud digger and my hat goes off to all the water hunters out there. It’s not as easy as I thought.

Upvote 3

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful, you enter the food chain when you are in the water...

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like I said you beach guys deserve every dollar you get. My 11” coil was dragging so slow I was in waist deep water and started feeling like a idiot I guess I was having newbie flashbacks. Lol

I may give it another try one day. We have no beaches just lakes and rivers and they’re all sand. The rivers are rich with history but the sand bottoms are 6ft and a lot of beer is drunk down here. Like I said I’ve found 20 gold rings in my 3 years of hunting and I don’t do ring returns lol Hell with that. I’m the “finders keepers losers weepers kind of guy”. Gold rings in the ground are to hard to come by.

I”ll take something like this IMG_1998.jpg IMG_1997.jpg over this IMG_1375.jpg any day. But both where major bucket listers in my life, but I wouldn’t sell my 8 for anything to where one day if I start selling my gold rings it’ll be easier.

But the “gold coin” is still my dream. As well as getting this sand out my ass. Lol

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'm land locked but enjoy water hunting now and then. My best lake hunt was when it was drained.
Love that large silver, Truth, grats! Maybe you'll get bit by some scenario...like a person contacts you about finding a lost ring at, say a private doc. You give it the ol' collage try and start finding all kinds of goodies whilst looking for the lost ring.
I'm getting old but sure can day dream still! Back to work....HH ALL

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here here!
I've been trying my hand at it down here at Carolina Beach and it is a bit difficult.
The waves tend to give my Equinox 600 lots of false signals and make digging pretty difficult. It may be a bit easier going where there are smaller waves like Clearwater beach

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm land locked but enjoy water hunting now and then. My best lake hunt was when it was drained.
Love that large silver, Truth, grats! Maybe you'll get bit by some scenario...like a person contacts you about finding a lost ring at, say a private doc. You give it the ol' collage try and start finding all kinds of goodies whilst looking for the lost ring.
I'm getting old but sure can day dream still! Back to work....HH ALL

xr7ator I think you’re right I’m not gonna give up maybe I’ll find that black silver coin and turn my attitude around. There maybe hope for me yet [emoji1317]

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here here!
I've been trying my hand at it down here at Carolina Beach and it is a bit difficult.
The waves tend to give my Equinox 600 lots of false signals and make digging pretty difficult. It may be a bit easier going where there are smaller waves like Clearwater beach

I had no waves and it was rough.
Can’t imagine doing it in waves. Lol

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, if you water hunt get an Excalibur.

My doctor wants me to give up detecting, it's hurting my joints. Maybe in a a year or two it will be "Smokey the cat invitational dig". Everybody bring the soda and pizza! I'll watch and laugh.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, if you water hunt get an Excalibur.

My doctor wants me to give up detecting, it's hurting my joints. Maybe in a a year or two it will be "Smokey the cat invitational dig". Everybody bring the soda and pizza! I'll watch and laugh.

I’m gonna bring you some “special” brownies that will heal those joints up just fine. They call me Dr. Truth [emoji268]

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh jeez! I can't hardly wait! Had another adventure today, no machine, just lots of artifacts. Now it's too dark to get a good picture!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OMG This discussion is SO FUNNY because I'm a surf hunter and absolutely love it.
But recently bought a Nox 800 (for beach/surf hunting) and have been using it a lot in the past 2
months in dirt. I also have been using my CTX 3030 more recently in dirt.
I HATE DETECTING IN DIRT!
On land, too much trash, too hard to recover targets; my god, I get my hand
and fingernails dirty with dirt! Aaaaaauuuuu.
You dirt diggers can have it!
Man, metal detecting dirt is hard work.
Return me to the surf, any day.
Sure there are sharks, jellyfish, rip currents,
and women (or if you prefer, men)
dressed in the most inappropriate skinny,
shoe-string, attire.
Most harmful to the eyes. iiiiiiiiiiii
8-):nono::love10::sunny::lovestory::walk:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG This discussion is SO FUNNY because I'm a surf hunter and absolutely love it.
But recently bought a Nox 800 (for beach/surf hunting) and have been using it a lot in the past 2
months in dirt. I also have been using my CTX 3030 more recently in dirt.
I HATE DETECTING IN DIRT!
On land, too much trash, too hard to recover targets; my god, I get my hand
and fingernails dirty with dirt! Aaaaaauuuuu.
You dirt diggers can have it!
Man, metal detecting dirt is hard work.
Return me to the surf, any day.
Sure there are sharks, jellyfish, rip currents,
and women (or if you prefer, men)
dressed in the most inappropriate skinny,
shoe-string, attire.
Most harmful to the eyes. iiiiiiiiiiii
8-):nono::love10::sunny::lovestory::walk:

I don’t know what it is man I just love that dirt

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth,
Water hunting is tough, but if you have the machine to do it, DON'T GIVE UP!

Water hunting has PAID for this hobby for me, and I have THREE detectors & pinpointers, and much equipment, all paid for with only jewelry finds, most of which has been recovered in water locations where people gather & party. Wetsuit, snorkel & mask help but not necessary most o the time. Check out my "rings" photo album.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/135154-albums5363.html

MANY of these, and all the good rings except the class ring, were recovered from water. Hope this changes your mind....

Ocean detecting, now THAT is tougher yet, and I haven't found anything of value yet. Even on calm days, those damn waves will wear you out, or beat you to death at other times. Plus at the prime locations, many detectorists hit the same area's over & over. But, I still won't even give that up because I know that the next swing could be a real prize!

Good luck, and happy hunting!

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn everyone must betaking about the old oversized waders killing you. The waders I have I can go swimming in and not have a problem.neoprene is the way to go.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn everyone must betaking about the old oversized waders killing you. The waders I have I can go swimming in and not have a problem.neoprene is the way to go.

Yeah my waders wasn’t the problem at all mine fit to size and actually feel great. It’s the swinging of the 11” coil and having to scoop so many times for my target. Just frustrating

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent Thursday 4hrs, Friday 2hrs, Saturday 2.5hrs and Sunday 3hrs in the water hunting. I hunted last weekend in the water as well. I could spend every day in the water in the summer if my arms and wrists could handle it. You need take a day off here and there to rest. The easy/ calm sites were scrubbed clean by other detectorists. I mean so clean I couldn't get two targets an hour. The ocean beach was impressive this year. I was getting a target every foot, sometimes 2-3 in the same spot. I went two blocks in 2.5 hrs and never had time to stop digging. The only problem is I only got junk, junk jewelry. and coins So far the Equinox is my least lucky machine. Its amazing in the salt water but its just not getting on the gold. The AT pro is my lucky detector. It sucks in salt water but I seem to find gold every time I turn it on. It'll drive me crazy. I am excited to get back out there already. I like the added challenge of water detecting. I blow all the air out so I sink onto my target and crab around the bottom and I just love it. Its been a tough season and a tough year but as long as I am out there I am content. It doesn't hurt that my girl comes out in her bikini to hold my scoop. What a dream. She's not great in the big surf but I can just duck dive under the waves all day and still pull up a few targets.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Id rather be hunting land but Id rather not be constantly knocking on doors to stay on the finds. Thousands of miles of shoreline and no permission required

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dabbled in water until yesterday when I got waterproof headphones. Then I was able to go further than waist deep. Found 3 jewelry items, platinum men’s wedding ring, a religious pendant with 20-30diamonds, a silver pendant with a black stone. Looking forward to working another beach!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread