I used a pinpointer for the first time today.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when Noah and I got off the Ark, we didn't use pinpointers. They were for old men and sissies. We just rustled up a couple of wild boars to do our digging for us. Now that I am an old man and a sissy, and getting back into metal detecting, I bought a White's TRX pinpointer and used it for the first time today. This is the second time I've been detecting in at least 15 years; the first time was a few weeks ago, and you TreasureNet people have been my inspiration. Anyhow, the place isn't all that old - our house was built in 1946. But, there should be some silver around. I haven't found any yet. Today I dug 9 coins, all modern, including 3 nickels, within an hour and a half. Plus a lot of junk. Plus what I take to be zinc cents, for they are corroded to almost nothing. I like using the pinpointer - saves time. I'm beat and creaky, and heading for the medicine cabinet.

I'm using a Whites Spectra V3 - which was the best I could buy about 14 years ago but never used it until now. I'm practicing around the house because I know of an old village fair grounds in the county that I think is still relatively unknown to others, at least to others who have not dug into the 1800's maps. Maybe if I get back into the hobby hard I'll get a new-fangled machine; but what would Noah think?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Would love to hear you elaborate, Slingshot. Like, what type of target that is deep is easier to locate without a pinpointer. If you hit the item with your shovel then, yea, you have pinpointed it without a pinpointer.

Have you ever dug a coin spill? How many times do you run a handfull of dirt over your coil before you find the last coin? Or, do you find a coin, stand up and swing over the target area again to see if there's still more coins?

Don't listen to him az46. Try going with a loaned pinpointer and then try going again without it. You'll buy one BEFORE you go out again. I guarantee it.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find my pinpointer to be invaluable!

az46

Jul 1, 2017
Sonoran desert
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 , Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would love to hear you elaborate, Slingshot. Like, what type of target that is deep is easier to locate without a pinpointer. If you hit the item with your shovel then, yea, you have pinpointed it without a pinpointer.

Have you ever dug a coin spill? How many times do you run a handfull of dirt over your coil before you find the last coin? Or, do you find a coin, stand up and swing over the target area again to see if there's still more coins?

Don't listen to him az46. Try going with a loaned pinpointer and then try going again without it. You'll buy one BEFORE you go out again. I guarantee it.

I've only been doing the sand thing for the last month. I'm not going to play in the dirt till I get my pinpointer,there was too many times that I really needed it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not like detecting without one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread