Thoughts on using a post hole digger

jk1031

Dec 7, 2014
Lockhart, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ & Nokta Makro PulseDive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's heavy to lug around, but if you have a two person team (one detecting and one digging), would it be a viable option? I think it could cut clean plugs, and might get to the hit quicker, especially without a pinpointer (which I don't have yet).

EDIT: Okay guys, point taken. It was just a passing thought, but obviously a very bad one. I appreciate all of the feedback, and will definitely look into getting the appropriate tools from here on out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a ice fishing auger? :laughing9:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every new detectorist has thought of "better," or "easier" ways to dig a target. A dedicated Lesche, Predator, or Gravedigger shovel is the answer you're looking for. A post hole digger, is NOT the answer. :skullflag:

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your in Lockhart go to Austin army surplus store and get a army trench shovel. The older Vietnam era shovels are great and made to last. I used one for years and my dad still does.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have bought a half dozen different shovels... even 2 types of Leche. My favorite can be had at Amazon...Spearhead.

Used it in Virginia soil... perfect IMO.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldn't a Backhoe or Excavator be easier? Who needs a Pin pointer? Just dig giant holes and then kick the dirt around until you find what you're looking for.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once asked permission at one of the nicest Victorian homes in the area. It had lots of important visitors in the past including Edison & Henry Ford. I explained how careful I would be to leave no trace. The guy said to go ahead and he would join me with his Bounty Hunter. He walked from the house with his detector to the shed and came out of his shed with a bush blade. He would get a signal, jab the bush blade in the ground 4 or 5 times in a circle and flip out a chunk of yard over a foot across, spread it across a couple of square feet and then look through for his target, then scrape the pile back to the hole and stomp it and move on to the next target. I was blown away!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need for those expensive brand shovels, all you need is a root slayer shovel and spade. I paid 35 bucks and it works great. Has serrated edges and a sharp bottom and make a nice plug because it is curved. It is also much cheaper than the "brand name" ones.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=root+sla...0400964&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_aolg0ny98_e

heh

41a6JUfkdnL.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your in Lockhart go to Austin army surplus store and get a army trench shovel. The older Vietnam era shovels are great and made to last. I used one for years and my dad still does.

NO :BangHead: Dont use army E-Tools for digging targets! Get a dedicated and purpose designed detecting recovery tool and a small hand-towel. Cut a plug. If the target isnt in the plug, dig more from the hole and put all that dirt on the towel until you find it.

BTW- a pinpointer will save you hours of recovery time and huge amounts of frustration.

If you are hunting a farm field, use whatever you want to dig, but in public parks and private yards, you need to take a lot more care and try to leave no trace.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldn't a Backhoe or Excavator be easier? Who needs a Pin pointer? Just dig giant holes and then kick the dirt around until you find what you're looking for.

Hahaha, you know how many times I have seen a backhoe/dozer/etc sitting idle and wanted to jump on it and start clearing ground at a nearby spot?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread