Coil Covers - More than just protection?

couch tater

Greenie
Sep 10, 2007
Atlanta
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Upvote 0

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
couch tater said:
I've recently invested in a coil cover for my Ace 250 and notice it seems to do more than just protect my coil. Now I'm no longer get the countless false signals when md'ing wet grass! :)
I haven't seen any posts mentioning this added benefit. Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts?
I can't say that I've really seen a difference vs. wet grass, but I have noticed that a coil cover does cut down on falses when I manage to smack the coil into a rock when I'm sweeping.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't old timey detectors have some kind of shielding in the coil for this problem? Maybe it's been eliminated thinking VLF's don't need it as much and the coil cover takes over.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
soil will sometimes get in between the two and you may need to clean it out....that should cut down on the falsing

HH
-GC

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also wrap the coil wire that connects to the control box
tight close to the coil about a foot up

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
couch tater said:
I've recently invested in a coil cover for my Ace 250 and notice it seems to do more than just protect my coil. Now I'm no longer get the countless false signals when md'ing wet grass! :)
I haven't seen any posts mentioning this added benefit. Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts?

On Kellyco's website, here's part of the description of a coil cover (for the F-75) and what it does: "Gives added protection against cuts, slits, and excessive wear. No Need to Remove. Absorbs shocks and moist grass static."

so I guess they support your observation of moist/wet grass causing problems and a coil cover being a remedy. Personally this is the first I've heard of it and I've never noticed a problem with dewey grass and my Tejon.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
hsjrev said:
couch tater said:

On Kellyco's website, here's part of the description of a coil cover (for the F-75) and what it does: "Gives added protection against cuts, slits, and excessive wear. No Need to Remove. Absorbs shocks and moist grass static."

so I guess they support your observation of moist/wet grass causing problems and a coil cover being a remedy. Personally this is the first I've heard of it and I've never noticed a problem with dewey grass and my Tejon.

A first for Me too!! I typically only use the coil cover in tough to detect places. Maybe I'll
have to use it more-- thanks for the info!! :)
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread