Setup garrett ace 400 to detect titanium?

xosux

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'll start with back story, I had water on my hands and shook my hands to get the water off. I woke up the next morning to notice my ring was not on my finger, I'm sure it is in my yard somewhere. I bought a bounty hunter 2000 but the area is loaded with metal and goes off ever few inches. I returned it and bought the garrett ace 400 which has a lot less hits putting it in jewelry mode but still a lot and I didn't find it. What settings should I do to limit hits to only titanium or at least remove a lot of junk from the list?

Upvote 0

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hi I'll start with back story, I had water on my hands and shook my hands to get the water off. I woke up the next morning to notice my ring was not on my finger, I'm sure it is in my yard somewhere. I bought a bounty hunter 2000 but the area is loaded with metal and goes off ever few inches. I returned it and bought the garrett ace 400 which has a lot less hits putting it in jewelry mode but still a lot and I didn't find it. What settings should I do to limit hits to only titanium or at least remove a lot of junk from the list?

Sorry, titanium will act similarly to gold in that, depending on its shape weight and alloy metals, it will show up anywhere from lower down in the foil area up to the nickel range if it is big or thick to even tabs if it is huge.
Without scanning your specific ring I can't tell you exactly where it will come in, if you have access to another ring just like it that would help a lot to narrow down the range to pay attention to but without that info from foil to tabs is the best educated guess I have.
I have found 3 titanium rings that went from higher foil to dead on nickel...but yours could easily be different.
The problem is in every area and for every number that titanium ring could be there will probably be tons of trash that will pretty much behave exactly the same.
If you lost it recently it will probably be shallow and that is helpful because if you do roll over it that would probably be a decently loud signal.
Also it should be a pretty solid signal that won't jump around a lot like lots of trash seems to do...but if it hiding right next to trash it still could.

As far as adjusting your detector to just hit titanium or get rid of most of the junk hits that could be your ring but isn't, well, that would be a magic detector that nobody has invented yet...at any price range
Your 400 sounds off less on targets because when you switch to jewelry mode you added discrimination that cut out some of the trashy areas and iron, not because you just told it to go find jewelry.
There is no way to set any detector up to just sniff out titanium or most other specific metals especially in the lower ranges where your ring will be, along with a whole lot of similar behaving trash targets.

I saw your other post about using the 2000 and your statement that the upgraded 400 surely could find this ring.
The truth is if your ring is actually where you believe it is both detectors could find it, most any detector could find it especially if it is shallow.
Figuring out which signals to dig and those we should probably not waste our time in is the essence of metal detecting, the more experience you get the more we usually can find while digging less trash to find it all...at least some of the trash, anyway.
If you want your ring back you just have to do the work and dig more of those signals you get between foil and tabs.
Aim for the louder, very stable solid sounding ones first and maybe you will find it.
Once you dig all of them you can start on digging the junkier sounding signals but hopefully it won't come to that.

Or, there is a group called Ring Finders out there, contact them and if someone lives in your area that is a member they might be able to come out and look for your ring.
Most are more experienced than you and should have a much easier time looking for and recognizing those more solid dig-me signals that this ring will probably be.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant set it up to just find titanium, if you want to find your ring your going to have to dig every target or find someone with a Minelab that will discriminate out iron to cut down on number of targets to dig.

Last edited:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Since the ring was lost recently and will be on the surface, set your detector to it's lowest power setting and only look at the strong signals. This should cut down on targets immensely and help zero in quicker. If still getting lots of signals, raise coil above the ground slightly until signals drop out, maybe test a penny on the surface to see how high it can be detected form and go from there. Good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discriminate out iron and high conductors. Then turn the sensitivity way down and just hunt surface targets. It should be a strong signal around a nickel reading if it's an average size man's band.

OP
OP
X

xosux

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone I kinda figured what everyone said would be what i needed to do. I ordered a ring from Amazon that looks like my ring but i can't get one just like it because jc penny no longer has that ring. I'll use it to test the detector and set the sensitivity and Discriminate out items I don't want. I can also play with it to know the strength on sound I need to listen to. Im new to metal detecting so I just need practice on what to listen to. I've watched so many youtube videos that find rings in 2 - 30 minutes but they know what to listen for on that detector. I also had grass that was like 1' tall and is pushed down to about 5" now after the snow melted off it not helping me at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread