New member and need advice

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, just getting into the hobby. Wanted to for a long time just haven't had much time. I am needing to know the best tools to use to get started. I talked to a friend who said a notka simplex plus would be the best option. Waterproof, great features for a novice but yet a good machine. Its 255$ without the headphones. Any information helps with places to start and ways to read my detector as well as a good pinpointer. My family has a farm that was bought in 1905 that is still in the family I wanted to start with. Just a thought. Thanks!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that's about your budget limit, it's probably as good as any. Not a very good salt water machine though, being single frequency. Where will you be detecting and what are you trying to find?

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that's about your budget limit, it's probably as good as any. Not a very good salt water machine though, being single frequency. Where will you be detecting and what are you trying to find?
I'm in Tennessee so I wont be detecting in saltwater. I'm going to be at old farm houses, some civil war sights according to family members. Looking for coins mainly, anything that deals with currency, anything civil war, belt buckles, buttons etc

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia :skullflag: Detectors are like cars and guns, everyone has an opinion and favorite, if you don’t see yourself in the water be it fresh or salt you can narrows down the field. It seems to me that we all buy a starter machine, then after some use actually figure out what we want. I know nothing about the simplex other than what I have read, seems like a nice one but I like Garretts :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I really dont want to spend more than around 300$ for just starting out. Unless I could find something used I guess?

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia :skullflag: Detectors are like cars and guns, everyone has an opinion and favorite, if you don’t see yourself in the water be it fresh or salt you can narrows down the field. It seems to me that we all buy a starter machine, then after some use actually figure out what we want. I know nothing about the simplex other than what I have read, seems like a nice one but I like Garretts :icon_scratch:
Yeah I am completely clueless besides what I have read as well lol I will be in creeks though

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome, it is hard to figure out at least it was for me. You have some great advice above.

If I was starting out, I would talk to some of the well known detector retailers, the best will have time to help figure out what you need. BUT, don't buy just then, use the suggestions to narrow the field, research here and talk to others. If you have a club go to a meeting and talk to them as well.

There are many many helpful people. Once you do your homework, call your favorite retailer and go for what your budget can stand.

I see some great finds from your neck of the woods. Good luck.

All the best

FS

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, it is hard to figure out at least it was for me. You have some great advice above.

If I was starting out, I would talk to some of the well known detector retailers, the best will have time to help figure out what you need. BUT, don't buy just then, use the suggestions to narrow the field, research here and talk to others. If you have a club go to a meeting and talk to them as well.

There are many many helpful people. Once you do your homework, call your favorite retailer and go for what your budget can stand.

I see some great finds from your neck of the woods. Good luck.

All the best

FS
Ok I have talked to two and one recommended a garrett and the other the simplex. My friend who is this into bug time said the simplex as well. I'll do some more research. Thanks everyone for the responses and I'm glad to be here!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If your budget is $300 I would go for the Simplex. I first started the hobby ten yrs ago with an Ace 250 and it was a great machine for the first yr for me. If the simplex was around when I first started, I would’ve been all over getting a simplex. For the price of an Ace 250 the Simplex blows the Ace away. I’ve never owned a simplex but to me its features almost compare to an At pro for half the price. If I were you I’d get the simplex. For that price you’ll have a detector that competes with ones costing twice or even three times that.

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your budget is $300 I would go for the Simplex. I first started the hobby ten yrs ago with an Ace 250 and it was a great machine for the first yr for me. If the simplex was around when I first started, I would’ve been all over getting a simplex. For the price of an Ace 250 the Simplex blows the Ace away. I’ve never owned a simplex but to me its features almost compare to an At pro for half the price. If I were you I’d get the simplex. For that price you’ll have a detector that competes with ones costing twice or even three times that.
Wow ok yeah after talking with my friend and the retailer and reading more and more think I'll go with the simplex.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget, the second item that is absolutely essential is a hand-held pin-pointer! You can be driven crazy when you are trying to learn this hobby without this!

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget, the second item that is absolutely essential is a hand-held pin-pointer! You can be driven crazy when you are trying to learn this hobby without this!
I've read about those too lol just dont know where to start on those either [emoji23]

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet! Good luck with detecting your farm and be sure to post what you find.

OP
OP
G

gobblesandgrunts

Dec 29, 2019
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! Good luck with detecting your farm and be sure to post what you find.
Btw how can you access the classified section? I know alot of forums require so many post. I can find the rules on here. Just thought I may be able to find a good used one on here as well as a pinpointer maybe. Also I have a ton of vintage stuff I'd trade too but just wondering on classified section

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread