Found: 1868 Pye Clothier Token, Cincinnati

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After a 36 year hiatus, I got back into detecting over the holidays. Yesterday I turned up this interesting find: A (slightly damaged) silver dollar-size, trade token, uncovered in Camp Dennison, Ohio. It's by PYE Clothier, "Clothing Hats and Furs, 5th & Vine Streets, Cinti." It's made of gilt brass. Thanks to the Stacks Bowers Galleries web site, I am able to post a picture of my find side-by-side with a better version of the token. Great way to get back into the hobby and thought I would share!

Anyone know what these tokens/coins were for? Were they purely promotional?

pye clothier token.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mike K "Ohio"

Nov 26, 2019
Waynesville, OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Great Digs! I use to live really close to Camp Dennison.... How did it ring up on the NOX? 20s?

Mike K

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool token recovery, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those trade tokens awesome piece of history

OP
OP
OhioTrevor

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you. Yes, 23. Clear as a bell. Was nearly a surface find. Very shallow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OhioTrevor

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Danloop

Danloop, That has to be him! Wow. Thanks for investigating that for me. I found something else that may be of interest based on the lead you gave me. Josiah R. Pye of New York married Julia Anne Swope. In a History of the Swope Family and Their Connections, 1678-1896, Josiah is cited as the founder of the Cincinnati Humane Society and for many years managed the Brooklyn Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. If the same person, its an interesting turn of events for someone in the fur business.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9StWAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA339&lpg=PA339&dq=Josiah+R+Pye,+cincinnati&source=bl&ots=rPCvGlQLat&sig=ACfU3U0h6hMkchXxKyr7hp4yXgY8NV3hEw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjbs_6uyfzmAhVMa80KHXjwCcsQ6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=Josiah%20R%20Pye%2C%20cincinnati&f=false

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find I l;ove tokens I used to live all over Cinci even near vine street over the Rhine awesome token

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread