What detectors would you recommend?

775Gold

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to get a metal detector to use for gold prospecting. I will mainly be detecting in northern California on exposed bedrock. What detectors would you recommend for that specific kind of detecting and for that area. Mainly Sierra county and plumas county.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll also add that if you want to mix in a little coin-shooting and relic hunting with your prospecting, the Minelab Equinox 800 will do double duty. It has a dedicated gold mode, and it works pretty darn well. I found a really nice nugget here in AZ just a couple of weeks ago with my EQ800.

https://www.minelab.com/metal-detectors/equinox-800

OP
OP

775Gold

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm only looking into using it for gold prospecting. The gold monster is my first choice, I just wanted to get some recommendations before I made the purchase. Thank you guy's.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello2:

markmcknight

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing some research for buying my own metal detector and a lot of the sites I've looked at recommend the Fisher Gold Bug 2 for Gold nuggets. Have you looked at it yet or are you looking for a more advanced detector?

Pocketman

Jan 19, 2020
Carson City, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a while for me, but I have done a lot of nugget shooting in Plumas and Sierra counties. I don't know what your budget is, but for the average guy, good gold machines take a pretty hefty bite outta their savings when they're first starting out (did me). That said, you definitely want a quality machine. If money is a limiting factor, don't buy a cheap, low-quality new one–with the same money, buy a good-quality used one. They are aren't hard to find, and they're a whole lot more efficient, dependable, and cheaper. When I got into nugget shooting, I had success with an old Whites CoinMaster (1985), then upgraded to the Fisher Gold Bug, then the Minelab Eureka Gold, and Minelab GPX-4000. Of course, the CoinMaster is a real dinosaur and not recommended for nugget shooting. But the others are all excellent gold getters. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. The Gold Bug really served me well, used the hell outta it, and though I didn't treat it gently, it always was ready for duty, fully operational, and never complained. There are others too that are just as well-liked by gold prospectors, however, the ones I mentioned are the machines I've used and that I can recommend highly from personal experience.

You've picked some good gold country to hunt--great scenery, excellent camping, good gold throughout the area. Good luck!

Last edited:

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll also add that if you want to mix in a little coin-shooting and relic hunting with your prospecting, the Minelab Equinox 800 will do double duty. It has a dedicated gold mode, and it works pretty darn well. I found a really nice nugget here in AZ just a couple of weeks ago with my EQ800.

https://www.minelab.com/metal-detectors/equinox-800

Good to know the stock coil will work good for gold.
Can't wait til the snow is gone and the ground thaws out!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread