Looking for new detector suggestion for inland AND salt water beaches

haroldw

Oct 28, 2007
I apologize if I am not posting this in the correct forum, it may fall under two other forum subjects.

I am a Newbie looking at my first (multi-environment) detector purchase. I have been researching this, on the Internet for about six hours, now.

My requirements and preferences:

1. Detecting environment
a. A decomissioned army base
b. Saltwater beaches, from the sand dunes to wading in up to about "knee-height", I do not need something that works totally submersed.

2. Purchase price, I'd prefer close to $500 or less, if necessary will go higher up to $1000 absolute max.

3. I want a detector that has some sort of graphical display with a discrimination mode to try to guess at the size and/or type of metal and/or depth

4. Newbie friendly

Since I want some sort of discrimination, that rules out Pulse Induction (PI) models.

My best guess so far is the Garrett GTP 1350
It has Discrimination modes with Visual Target ID, a Salt Elimination mode and I can purchase it for about $600.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Harold

Upvote 0

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
find a good used minelab Sovereign, can't be beat at the beach,you can go from dry sand straight to the water an never touch a knob an dimes an easy 10" plus deep no problem an yes they find gold also.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Haroklw, he is right on the Minelab Sovereign is the way to go..And if you need a Digital target indication meter you can always get one for the Sovereign but with the Sovereign i don't think you will need one...................... With the Sovereign i never had to have one the diffrent tones it gives is far better than a meter read out..................... ==Jim==

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roachnjim and Seas1to 2 are both right on the money for the besh for what uses you wanted. Course it doesn't have a screen that isn't accurate anyway. It ignores most iron and will still report on a gold ring under the iron due to it's iron masking. You no doubt read how everyone wants the best, a Excal, well the Sov GT is a land version of the Excal. You can also get a WOT coil for it to really cover some area and get more depth too.

Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread