Really confused as to why everybody is acting like nothing compares to the equinox - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Really confused as to why everybody is acting like nothing compares to the equinox

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    305 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    IMO the important thing is that you found the right machine for you.

While the Equinox is a popular machine (on the forums anyway) it just doesn't appeal to me. Of course some of my favorite machines aren't all that popular with those that visit the forums. That's OK, because as long as I'm the one paying for my machine(s) I'll buy the machine(s) that I believe will best suit my needs/whims - whether my choices are the more popular machines or not.

If I didn't own a Multi Kruzer I'd buy a Multi Anfibio, but as it is I don't believe the Multi Anfibio offers a significant improvement over the Kruzer so I'll stick with what I have for the time being. Others may well disagree - and that's fine with me - but it is my money, my whims, and my choice.

I'm not knocking anybody's choice of machine - I assume that they bought the machine that they believe will best fit their needs/whims/wallet - but I don't feel compelled to own the most popular machine either. If they're happy, I'm happy for them.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    28097 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yeah, I'm not sure why each manufacturer thinks everyone in the world will buy their newest model. The math never works that way. Just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Too hot, too cold, too grey...whatever...
    A2coins and Hobbs. like this.

Feb 2019
    Carson City NV
    Equinox 800, AT Pro
    943 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I will take the Nox.
    A2coins and Hobbs. like this.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    924 times
    Relic Hunting
    I have had the 800 since March 2019 and here is some of what I have learned.

It is a very good all around detector for the person who will do coin shooting, relic hunting, beach and gold hunting. Not many detectors do all these four types of hunting as well as the Equinox 800.
    Are there better relic machines? Probably the XP Deus. Are there better beach machines. Of course. Are there better gold machines? again yes. But for the person who thinks they might want to do 3 out of 4 or 4 out of four of the above types of hunting, the Equinox is tops.

Minelab engineers decided that we have probably reached the depth limits of modern metal detectors due to physics. Thus on the equinox they decided to put a lot of effort on unmasking coins. Masked coins in the past have been hidden from a lot of detectors. The equinox using Multi-IQ or multi-frequency technology has very good unmasking capabilities. Using the standard modes with some modest tweaking of the recovery speed, iron balance and sensitivity will increase you ability to unmask coins, rings etc that other detectors have been unable to find.

The truth is a lot of these masked good targets in trashy environments are often really not that deep. Less than 7 inches. To exploit these capabilities of the 800 you really have to understand your 800 and what the settings for recovery speed, iron balance, sensitivity are really intended to accomplish. Only then can you employ them effectively on your specific hunts. Hint: Really understand what the different modes are, what are the default settings and why they are what they are. Then only modify them a little to fit your situation. On recovery speed for instance, you rarely have to move it more than one level up or down from the default setting. The reason is that the default mode settings when used with a 11" stock coil are almost spot on for that mode's type of hunting.

I have proved that to myself many times with my 800.

Conclusion is that many detectorists who specialize in one type of hunting will generally get the best machine for their type of hunting, and it is not always going to be an Equinox.
    Last edited by pulltabfelix; Jan 28, 2020 at 08:00 AM.
    My New book "Guide to Modern Metal Detecting" January 2019, 164 pages. eBook $9.95, Printed - $29.00
    Special price to Treasure Net members - ebook $5.99.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    10234 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Sounds like you are rocking the Anfibio, awesome! Welcome to Tnet. Post your finds and have fun with your bro.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links