Should I dig ALL the signals?? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Should I dig ALL the signals??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2019
    Montana
    124 times
    Prospecting
    Yes, this is all very helpful information.

I like the idea that good stuff (like coins) can be hiding in bad stuff (like tin cans). That makes a lot of sense to me.

I also like the idea that there is no right or wrong way to approach it. I definitely understand the "dig all" approach, and I understand the "cherry pick" approach as well.

I think I will have to spend time on the site, and see what the site says to me. Maybe more of a gut instinct situation. Maybe even use dowsing rods?

I will also try and find old photos of these locations, maybe look into old newspapers for more information.

I have located "downtown" area, but these buildings have collapsed. I am sure it will be hard to detect, but probably the best area.
    SanMan and brianc053 like this.
    Creator of Maximum Off Grid
    Wilderness Survival Journeywoman
    Off Grid Systems Designer
    Overall badass extraordinaire

www.maximumoffgrid.com

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    55826 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I will tell you this GC...

People are always looking for "shortcuts"... or to get around a whole lot of digging junk.

But in reality... there are no real shortcuts that pay really well in life.

Simplistic "law of nature".

Get used to digging and digging...

IF you want to find shortcuts...

Find them in the digging and you will eventually find what others have missed or would not have found.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1622 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    If you donít dig all the signals your pull-tab and bottle cap collection wonít be as big as mine.
    dts
    Last edited by dts52; Feb 03, 2020 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Typo
    gold chick, SanMan, AARC and 1 others like this.

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    2007 times
    Sometimes, a good understanding of what would be a target rich environment is a great help. In remote areas, say you have a large open area with a concentrated "iron" area. Although you know there will be lots of digging, that area can be the remains of a building...always a good area to start. Then in your mind's eye, try to visualize how the building sat on the grounds and maybe do some loops around areas that could have been out buildings. Your chances of good recoveries are higher in areas where you know people were. Over the years, those iron patches are scattered pretty good especially if it's farm area which has had extensive and regular cultivation. Try to figure out the areas that people spent time and you will find what they lost! The value of the items you find will vary from person to person. Personally, I like old tools and relics just as much as coins and good hunt to me is judged by finding any of it.
    gold chick, SanMan and brianc053 like this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    371 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    Try searching for old maps that cover the area you are in. Even try the county for records that may be helpful.
    gold chick and SanMan like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    NOX899
    3319 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    New sites I cherry pick, if I like the new spot Ill cherry pick till the cherries are gone then if I still like the new area I go after the lower tone stuff...
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2012
    West Coast
    AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
    4224 times
    Old fire insurance records will help map out the area.
    gold chick likes this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Yacolt WA
    EQ 800
    1793 times
    Perhaps you could do some screening to clear out surface junk instead of a nail at a time. It might also help to ID productive areas quicker.
    gold chick and Blak bart like this.

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6616 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gold chick View Post
    Thanks for all the great tips. I guess I'm already feeling overwhelmed with the site, especially since I have found several unclaimed public land sites that are beckoning me.

I feel like a site like this could take months, if not years, to fully cover. It's about 7000 feet elevation, giving me maybe a three month window in montana to dirtfish.

Maybe I should do a cherry pick sweep then go back to hot targets?
    That's what I would do , & you can still pick up the Big Iron tools before going back to get the deep and small items. GL
    gold chick and AARC like this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

Jan 2020
    7 times
    Good info. My detector likes to register a lot of things as certain coins (penny/dine). I dig and its trash. Then it will indicate ďtabsĒ and I have found coins so I have decided to dig everything. It does get tiring though.
    AARC and gold chick like this.

us
    Sep 2016
    Southern Arizona
    Minelab Equinox 800,XP ORX
    110 times
    a lot of great ideas posted, I keep going back to sites I have found and I am still digging nails. My next trip I will take a rake and work an area before I start detecting.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18678 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Been digging since '83.

Took some time off since then, but found a whole lot more when I was digging every solid hit, than I do now when selectively digging based on modern electronics....
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Treasureman$)

May 2013
    Wisconsin
    Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
    260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post

People are always looking for "shortcuts"... or to get around a whole lot of digging junk.

Find them in the digging and you will eventually find what others have missed or would not have found.
    I concur!
    AARC and gold chick like this.
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Feb 2019
    Carson City NV
    Equinox 800, AT Pro
    994 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have about a year of learning my machine. I keep hearing about the depth of finds that an equinox has but haven’t found items that deep because I always look for a repeatable signal. Last night I stopped looking for repeatable signals and went by tone. 3 out of 4 targets were coins masked by nails. Some of the deep signals that have high tone weren’t coins but were high conductors they were down 10-12”. They had no VDI but gave the sound. I will be digging more off sound and less off VDI going forward.
    gold chick likes this.

Dec 2019
    Montana
    124 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post

This is the real advice here: there are no shortcuts. From what I have been reading, the valuables are mixed in with the junk. Coins in a tin can. Old nails by jewelry, etc. There is no way to discern what is good and bad, especially in the area I have found. Tons of mining traffic, collapsed buildings, etc.

I do think I will do a first pass in an area, just to get the feel for it, and cherry pick. And then keep digging targets, layer by layer.

Should be an interesting summer!
    Blak bart and Molewacker like this.
    Creator of Maximum Off Grid
    Wilderness Survival Journeywoman
    Off Grid Systems Designer
    Overall badass extraordinaire

www.maximumoffgrid.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links