Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2020
Europe
Detector(s) used
Invenio by Nokta-Makro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and glad to join you guys.

I currently have a target left by the grand parents in a farm, we "the family" know that it is more than 2 pounds of gold coins and at a depth between 3' to 8'(1 meter to 2 meters approximately). The container is a jar of clay and the land condition is mostly rocky and water can be reached at 160'(60 meters approximately), i am not sure about the mineralization

Instead of hiring a professional, i was thinking about buying a metal detector and take my time checking the whole land, a way to get into the hobby at the same time, and i may invest up to 4500$ in my first equipment.

My idea was to get something like jeohunter 3d as it can display depth after taking measurments, or may be the Garret atx with deepseeker coil, but people are complaining about the discrimination on both of them so i am a little lost.

All said, you know the target, depth, conditions, and budget, what do you think is the best metal detector for such job? and please feel free to give your opinion about any metal detector that you think can handle this job with discrimination.

Thank you

Upvote 2

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Hello again, just an update, i was able to detect two boxes now, they show up as a perfect rectangle at a 70 cm depth, and both boxes are far away from each others. We still haven’t done any digging as i detected large cavities around both boxes, i am not sure of the depth of the cavities but they look men made as they re quite the same dimensions, i decided to play it careful, i guess next week we will do it. For the time being, just seeing the shape, depth and different ids excited me, i wonder how it s gonna be when we ll dig it. Also sorry i am not keeping you updated but i was doing some tests myself to learn how to use the detector.

I hope it’s the coins. Hopefully we’ll get to see some pics of gold.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, that's about 27 1/2" deep? Not difficult for most quality detectors if the box is big enough......say bigger than a pack of cigarettes.

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
giphy.gif

Last edited:

jmorgan007

Apr 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why in tarnation would your Grandparents leave a jar with 2 pounds of gold and not tell you where it was or leave a map or something? I think you are gonna buy the farm looking for that gold. No pun intended.
It happens a lot I get called out to recover these kinds of situations now and then. Especially generations that lived the Great Depression. People have been stashed buried gold and silver for centuries without leaving a map or note to live ones.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me add a few ideas, I wonder if a Whites TM 808 .(2 coil deep seeker) Might aid you in the recovery. When you did watch the dirt closely. USUALLY when dirt is dug it leaves a digging mark in the earth,. If you can find anyone in your area r=that does underground piping ask them for advice. DO not tell them what exactly your looking for ot where .Maybe they can give you a few hints!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread