Which metal detector for this situation - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Which metal detector for this situation

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, Simplex, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    957 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by zoumou View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and glad to join you guys.

I currently have a target left by the grand parents in a farm, we "the family" know that it is more than 2 pounds of gold coins and at a depth between 3' to 8'(1 meter to 2 meters approximately). The container is a jar of clay and the land condition is mostly rocky and water can be reached at 160'(60 meters approximately), i am not sure about the mineralization

Instead of hiring a professional, i was thinking about buying a metal detector and take my time checking the whole land, a way to get into the hobby at the same time, and i may invest up to 4500$ in my first equipment.

My idea was to get something like jeohunter 3d as it can display depth after taking measurments, or may be the Garret atx with deepseeker coil, but people are complaining about the discrimination on both of them so i am a little lost.

All said, you know the target, depth, conditions, and budget, what do you think is the best metal detector for such job? and please feel free to give your opinion about any metal detector that you think can handle this job with discrimination.

Thank you
    I thinking of the old black and white film "God's Little Acre" here. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051666/
    zoumou likes this.
    My New book "Guide to Modern Metal Detecting" Ė January 2019, 164 pages. Printed version on Amazon - $29.00
    Special offer to Treasure Net members - PDF ebook ready for PC, Mac and iPhone - FREE Download send me private message for link.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    143 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hello, itís the great grandparents. My grandparents only relayed the message because they couldnít find it at the time. I ended up buying the invenio pro from nokta, did some test and it could hit underground really good the discrimination is not that perfect at that depth but i could see a bit of the shape and the depth which can give me an idea.

Attachment 1802871

I am currently doing some tests, the basic mode is easy but once you choose deep mode or expert you get tons of settings that i need to learn

Attachment 1802874

Attachment 1802875
    Nice detector. Kepp us updated, good luck!

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1632 times
    Thank you Tommy, and yes when you see videos on youtube everything seems easy, you think ok it's just up this and reduce that, but once you have the detector on hands and you start testing, it goes crazy on all metals, there is just no standard configuration that would work for everyone. Now i have to learn how everything works to get the best of it.

Today i did some detecting in the farm, and i found one spot that the image screening showed as a box of metal 15cm*40cm at a depth of 70 cm, i just forgot to take some screenshots of the screen. Tomorrow i will rescan and take some screenshots, then i will dig that and post the pictures of the screening and what was found to see the accuracy.

Normally that would work at some level, but the investment is from my own funds so that i can get into the hobby, and also i got a good deal on it from a company that was using it to map the wires in houses before performing electrical upgrades or modifications.

It would be perfect i end up making the legend a reality, otherwise i will end up with a good addiction "detecting"
    So many of these start out great...then end up as one post wonders.... looking fwd to that update!

chub

Conservative Cherokee "WP" (Wolf Pack 4Ever)

Jan 2008
    Louisiana
    Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
    101 times
    Just to add my 2 Cents Here. Chances are, the Target you are looking for is no more than arms length in the ground. Most jar holes were dug with post hole digger since bout 1880. Most would not dig past arms length, for retrieval purpose. It would be a rarity to find one deeper.

Feb 2020
    Europe
    Invenio by Nokta-Makro
    1 times
    Cache Hunting
    Hello again, just an update, i was able to detect two boxes now, they show up as a perfect rectangle at a 70 cm depth, and both boxes are far away from each others. We still haven’t done any digging as i detected large cavities around both boxes, i am not sure of the depth of the cavities but they look men made as they re quite the same dimensions, i decided to play it careful, i guess next week we will do it. For the time being, just seeing the shape, depth and different ids excited me, i wonder how it s gonna be when we ll dig it. Also sorry i am not keeping you updated but i was doing some tests myself to learn how to use the detector.

Jul 2013
    1393 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Hello again, just an update, i was able to detect two boxes now, they show up as a perfect rectangle at a 70 cm depth, and both boxes are far away from each others. We still havenít done any digging as i detected large cavities around both boxes, i am not sure of the depth of the cavities but they look men made as they re quite the same dimensions, i decided to play it careful, i guess next week we will do it. For the time being, just seeing the shape, depth and different ids excited me, i wonder how it s gonna be when we ll dig it. Also sorry i am not keeping you updated but i was doing some tests myself to learn how to use the detector.
    I hope itís the coins. Hopefully weíll get to see some pics of gold.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8199 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    So, that's about 27 1/2" deep? Not difficult for most quality detectors if the box is big enough......say bigger than a pack of cigarettes.
    ​Avitech Associate

Feb 2020
    12 times
    Good luck. Please post pics!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links