Obtaining permission to metal detect from owners..??

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO, the reason that most metal detectors are sitting in closets is that we run out of places to use them. In the treasure magazines, it is almost a given that "after obtaining permission from the owner, the author searches...." We are admonished to always get a signed 'search and recover' document. Why would ANYONE sign a document giving a stranger (however big his smile) permission to search, dig, and take goodies away from his own property??? I wouldn't.

I have come to the conclusion that a reasonable solution is to get the property owner to agree to the following: Following the search, the MD searcher divides the found items into two piles, and then the owner picks first.

As a property owner, this type of proposal would interest me, assuming that I have no qualms about the searcher.

What do you think?

Upvote 0

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Have the property owner divide into two piles and you pick, then never any problems.
This method has been used for centuries, ie livestock food valuables and the like.If you divide the piles they can always say you cheated them.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
As with any negotiation, it's best not to put out the first offer, particularly given that most people aren't even going to care as much as you think. I've asked and received permission almost every time and nobody has ever asked me for a portion of what I find. Sometimes they'll make a joke about "if you find a pot of gold" but people either don't believe you'll actually find anything, or they understand it's almost certainly not going to be life changing stuff. Part of it is being casual in your approach to them. I usually say something such as, "I have this hobby where I use a metal detector to look for old items and I'm very interested in the history of this area (all true). Would you mind if I searched your property, I am very careful not to cause any damage, etc." Works almost every time. Let them bring up if they want some of the stuff.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
One of the best things I've heard of is to have 2 MD's and let them help you. Makes a big difference!!!
Of course I don't have a 2nd one and when I do get a better one I'll let them use this piece of crap I have lol
And no I wont tell them why I have the bloodhound hahahahaha!
But really I just enjoy finding stuff, and when I find something old I get more of a kick out of giving it to someone who might relish it
Than throwing it in a drawer and forgetting about it. Hell I just gave away a 1865 coin cause it made someones day!!
When I hit the motherload it will be a different story.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dano91 said:
One of the best things I've heard of is to have 2 MD's and let them help you. Makes a big difference!!!
Of course I don't have a 2nd one and when I do get a better one I'll let them use this piece of crap I have lol
And no I wont tell them why I have the bloodhound hahahahaha!
But really I just enjoy finding stuff, and when I find something old I get more of a kick out of giving it to someone who might relish it
Than throwing it in a drawer and forgetting about it. Hell I just gave away a 1865 coin cause it made someones day!!
When I hit the motherload it will be a different story.

That's a great idea! Good way to make a new friend too, who may have leads to other sites!

:thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've given lots of coins, buttons, and relics to property owners throughout the years--and some pretty danged good finds too!

There are Endless places to use a MD--and endless possibilities for permission. Seriously, I did some research over the winter and early spring a year ago and came up with over 200 sites! And this is in an area where there are Many detectorists (several of whom are even on this site). So there IS competition here. My detector will never sit in a closet. :)

Best Wishes to you in 2009,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
I've given lots of coins, buttons, and relics to property owners throughout the years--and some pretty danged good finds too!

There are Endless places to use a MD--and endless possibilities for permission. Seriously, I did some research over the winter and early spring a year ago and came up with over 200 sites! And this is in an area where there are Many detectorists (several of whom are even on this site). So there IS competition here. My detector will never sit in a closet. :)

Best Wishes to you in 2009,

Buckleboy

What a wonderful and helpful post. :thumbsup:

Happy New Year to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread