Skool me on the 800 and a solid pinpointer - bout to pull the trig on the Equibeast

jdlev

Nov 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright fellas, I think I'm about 90% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the equinox 800, and looking for a package deal with a good pinpointer. Main purpose will be creek mining. From what I've read, I think I also need to invest in the 6" coil if it doesn't come with one (pretty sure it comes with the dub D coil but not the 6").

The creek gold I've found has been pretty small...want to say 20 mesh? I doubt even the 800 is good enough to pick up something that small, but I also am a total noob with only a youtube panning education...so it's kind of a miracle that I found anything (Thanks Justin ;) )

Otherwise, my family and I go to Myrtle Beach every year, and I've read there are some wrecks off the carolina coast. We always seem to time our trips just right so that a hurricane inevitably shows up. Any hot spots along the carolina coast within an hour of myrtle beach that you guys would recommend?

Probably place the order later tonight for the 800. Any tips, books, recommended videos, etc that you guys could share to fast track my 800 education, I'd be very appreciative :)

Cheers,

Jeff

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd check with some of our sponsors on this site. Most of them should be able to put together a deal for you. I'd get a waterproof pin pointer if I were you. The White's TRX and the Garrett AT are a couple of good ones that come to mind.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to watch videos by a guy named "Gigmaster". He has quite a few good ones on the 800.
The Garrett carrot (as it is called) pin pointer seems to be the one of choice for many, as well as being waterproof.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Gold Monster is probably the best small gold finder out there unless you go to the real gold beast Minelabs (4500, 5000, and 7000) which are quite costly. Nox is a fantastic all around machine but the Gold Monster is a better choice for gold hunting. Costs around the same as the Nox I think.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think is just a bit less than the 800......around $850 last time I checked.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone told me to check bigboyshobbies.com for package deals on that machine. I believe you get the nox 800 detector, travel bag, hand shovel and some other stuff as well. You can bundle the 6" coil and minelab pinpointer with it for extra. Oh and free shipping and military discount.

Here is a link.. Good luck out there and happy hunting!

https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-equinox-800-series-metal-detector

freddytoo

Sep 25, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Minelab XTerra 50, Tesoro Golden uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out bigboyshobbies military discount if eligible.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone told me to check bigboyshobbies.com for package deals on that machine. I believe you get the nox 800 detector, travel bag, hand shovel and some other stuff as well. You can bundle the 6" coil and minelab pinpointer with it for extra. Oh and free shipping and military discount.

Here is a link.. Good luck out there and happy hunting!

https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-equinox-800-series-metal-detector

Just remember if you do the Military discount it is for the machine only. You can’t bundle anything else with it. So no free digger or bag, etc...

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are interested in fresh water gold prospecting and dry land gold prospecting with a detector for really small gold (or bigger too hopefully!), salt water beach coin and jewelry detecting and maybe just normal turf coin and jewelry detecting, the ONLY detector that can do all of those well (not the best at any of them but high up on the list) is the Equinox 800 currently. Hopefully some other manufacturers can come out with a waterproof, simultaneous multi frequency detector (with frequencies high enough for small gold prospecting) with pretty good ergonomics, and excellent target ID, that has features equal to the Equinox soon. The other medium to high frequency detectors that are good on small gold, Deus, ORX, Gold Kruzer, Goldmonster, Whites 24K, new GMX, Gold Bug 2 do not have either the waterproofing or the multi frequencies needed to do well on a salt water beach or be submerged. The Makro Gold Kruzer and Whites GMX come close, so does the Deus/ORX with their somewhat awkward waterproofing setup. So, if you do buy the Equinox 800 and add a 6" coil, in my opinion you are making the best choice. I have used all of the detectors I mentioned. They will all find very small gold and can handle mineralization and hot rocks very well. The Equinox is NOT my favorite detector for prospecting......it comes in second. It is my favorite for the other scenarios you mentioned.

good luck,

Jeff

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Jeff,

back in the late 80's I was hunting gold in creeks in the North Georgia gold region. I purchased a Fisher Gold bug metal detector. This is what got me interested in metal detecting. The main value that the fisher gold bug brought to the table was not finding gold nuggets. It was locating in parts of the creek where spent buckshot and bird shot had come to rest in the bottoms of the creek areas. Being made of lead, and heavy like gold the lead buckshot and bird shot came to rest in the creek in the same general areas. When we found the lead shot (more often than not white colored) we would pan that gravel area and almost always find gold.

So don't forget that lead shot is often an indicator where to grub for gold in a creek if you are in a gold bearing area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread