Tony-Ok

Jun 27, 2019
Oklahoma City Ok
Detector(s) used
XP ORX and Minelab 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which is better all around?

I think a fair assessment could be made after the Apex has been out for six months. Nox has excellent reviews, cost more. Apex will be a good detector. Best thing to do is find what works well for your type of hunting. Then learn the detector. You don’t have to have the most expensive detector to make great finds!!! My Nox has found some really nice finds !That being said , I also have a Minelab 540 pro that has been finding lots of great finds !! Last week I was on a small yard that dated back to the 1890s. The 540 found me a couple silvers and an old token!!! Wondering how it performed?? Did I miss anything?? Fired up the Nox800 and rescanned the yard . Very quiet. Nothing , nada . The 540 cost half as much as the Nox ......... I know the Nox very well and am learning the 540 . I think that speaks volumes of what the loser cost machine can do . Knowing your detector will bring you success...... no matter what brand you choose. HH Tony

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a fair amount of us will see no reason not to have both

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Nox had so many issues, that’s why I bought an XP instead. Can bet when the AT pro multi comes out there won’t be as many probs. Poor shaft, leaking, headphones, arm cuff, coil ears,... etc. Garrett at least puts out a product straight from market without multiple problems that’s at least usable.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I guess I just think of entry level machines as being at a lower price point. Roughly $600 isn’t peanuts especially for someone new to the hobby who isn’t sure if they’ll enjoy it or not. I think of the $100-200 Bounty Hunter machines as entry level but maybe those are more designed for kids.

Entry level machines are bounty hunters, Ace 250’s , Fisher F11, F22’s, in my book,...not the latest multi frequency detectors that offer more advanced choices that the beginner would not be familiar with. Veterans on here may call entry level machines that are more advanced for the beginner user, an entry level machine because it’s simple and easy to understand, to them maybe yes, but for someone new it can be a real learning curve.

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My direct observations with a machine in hand are my perfect right and hardly trashing, I've read lots of complaints about the wonky VDI, wobbly shaft and leaks - At least I am not making detracting guesses about a detector that hasn't even been released to the public yet. I hope it pans out with the nox, I can live with its flaws if it delivers. Been doing so well with the simplex that I haven't felt the need to try.

Minelab needs to correct their mistakes, or come out with the Equinox 2. Tried Minelab years ago in their Sovereign line but didn't like their heavy control boxes, shafts etc.....reason I went XP this time over the Equinox even though I realize the benefits of the multi simu frequency machines. Makes a person wonder if they do proper testing in the field before they ship their stuff out to the general public.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of several camera review sites where you can find ratings listed for cameras that have not yet been released!!!

EmeRgency7

Mar 22, 2020
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
10" MAGNUM Coil
Garrett Ace APEX (COMING SOON!!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Apex by far" Because you have pre-ordered one? Well, it should be a great upgrade over your Bounty Hunter.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nox had so many issues, that’s why I bought an XP instead. Can bet when the AT pro multi comes out there won’t be as many probs. Poor shaft, leaking, headphones, arm cuff, coil ears,... etc. Garrett at least puts out a product straight from market without multiple problems that’s at least usable.
I'm assuming you came late to the AT Pro party?? Lol tons of issues with that machine after release. My first one was completely defective right out of the box. Ended up being a great machine but to say its release was without issues is just false.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I'm assuming you came late to the AT Pro party?? Lol tons of issues with that machine after release. My first one was completely defective right out of the box. Ended up being a great machine but to say its release was without issues is just false.

I didn’t say it didn’t have issues.

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say the top of the line White's Spectra V3i is a great machine and I have made many nice finds in over 750 hours of use in the field. But not being weather or waterproof limits its versatility. With 50 hours on a new Nox 800 at just over half the cost of the Spectra, it is definitely lighter and more versatile and seemingly to me, goes deeper. These are the only two machines I am qualified to talk about. Really happy with the Nox 800 though.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My cousin just got a Nox a month ago, took it in the water once for about an hour and thats all she wrote, water got under the screen, fried out and he had to ship it out to a service center - And right before he was set to go beach hopping on the 4th of July.
Don't think I'll ever take my nox in the water, I am not convinced it is water proof. So it looks like I won't be selling my AT Pro anytime soon either, haven't dunked the Simplex yet either, though just be the feel of the buttons I would say the Simplex is closer to waterproof than the nox.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin just got a Nox a month ago, took it in the water once for about an hour and thats all she wrote, water got under the screen, fried out and he had to ship it out to a service center - And right before he was set to go beach hopping on the 4th of July.
Don't think I'll ever take my nox in the water, I am not convinced it is water proof. So it looks like I won't be selling my AT Pro anytime soon either, haven't dunked the Simplex yet either, though just be the feel of the buttons I would say the Simplex is closer to waterproof than the nox.

I thought just the coil was waterproof. Is it supposed to be the whole unit?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought just the coil was waterproof. Is it supposed to be the whole unit?

The nox is advertised as completely submersible up to 10ft I think it is

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have taken my Simplex under water a few times and as of this penning, "knock on wood" no control box or headphone leaks.:icon_thumleft:

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every MD is submersible, only some of them refuse to work afterwords. lol

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
About the Nox. Came from 3 years with AT Pro and really liked the AT Pro. One of the great success stories in metal detecting.

Yes my 800 leaked and was fixed at no charge by Minelab.
yes my 800 shaft is hard to tighten down with those hand turned locks so the coil won't wobble but is just managable.
yes my 800 is noisy if I don't take the time to tame it.
yes my 800 gave me a quite long learning curve. But Clive Clynick's 3 books on the Equinox will greatly shorten that leaning curve.
yes the wireless headphones that come with the 800 pretty much are low grade crap in my opinion. that can be fixed with the Trond BH01 headphones.

But when you really, really learn it and quiet it down and set it up properly from your experiences and knowledge (not copying someone else's settings) it one heck of a detector. Especially the adjustable tones and bins which can really quiet things down with no loss in depth.

You are basically getting a coin detector, relic detector, beach detector and gold detector all rolled into one for what $900? But if you have the money to buy four specialized detectors then go for it for what maybe four grand?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People I know have already put in pre-orders for the Apex, even tho they already have the Nox, I will wait, I like my Nox and Orx, both are equal, but I do wish the Orx and deus had a depth meter, this time of the year the ground is like concrete, if the target is over 3-4 inches, I usually pass (pennies)

I wish the 800 had a accurate depth meter.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depth meter is probably the least used feature on any detector I make use of, probably more inaccurate than target id which itself is an electronic best guess. I have long ago stopped even occasionally glancing at it. I wouldn't mind if this "feature" was eliminated all together to make more screen room for actual useful info. I've always thought they incorporate this useless whistle into detectors just to impress newbies, and for marketing. "Wow, you mean to tell me this thing not only tells me exactly what it is, but how deep it is ?? ,, Thats AMAZING, I think I want one !!"

Approximate depth of coin sized items is possible using pinpoint along with strength of the signal - Pinpoint to gauge the size of the target and tone to gauge its depth. If its a small target and its a screamer, you know its at or near the surface. For targets much larger than a coin, accurate depth id is not possible, other than very deep or not too deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread