Whites Metal Detectors Going Out Of Business - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Whites Metal Detectors Going Out Of Business

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8966 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
    If your saying that White's didn't keep up with tech on their detectors that's a laugh, there isn't anybody who makes a detector with the adjustments you can make on the V3i. Lets say way too many adjustments for most people. HH
    Adjustments do not equal advancements in technology. Doesnt matter how many knobs you put on a 1970s LP player, it will never be a CD player. Their slow reaction to adapt to changing sales was their biggest killer. They were falling behind every year with outdated sales ideas while the rest of the market embraced the new role of the internet. Coupled with their draconian methods of running a forum only alienated users further. Lack of advancing tech was just the final nail in the coffin.

Whites closing their door doesnt come as a shock, but it certainly is sad. I have owned and loved many of their detectors through the years, starting with the 6000diPro which was the king detector of its day.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    EQ800 (Stock Coil), XP ORX (X35 11") T2SE (Cors Shrew, Cors Scout)
    315 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have to give White's one thing, they built tank-like detectors. Unfortunately that durability equaled heavy units and most of them are battery hogs too. I had a couple Whites detectors and seemed like they just didn't punch deep into the ground at all. Seemed to have fairly accurate ID but depth wise were weak.

Had hoped they would come out with something more modern like the other detector companies are doing. Didn't happen. I'm also of the same opinion as others- It's sad to see an American company like this call it quits. Seems to me it was more a case of stubborn that ended this company. Guy running it just didn't want to change with the times and felt like he could just keep on selling the same old stuff. Their prices were extremely high for what they offered and they didn't budge a bit. Too many things added up against them.
    RustyGold and doggoneitdignit like this.

Mar 2020
    Omaha
    White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i
    137 times
    This really sucks, a big shocker. I bought a White V3i about 6 weeks ago, love the machine. So sick of hearing people cry about having to spend a little more money to buy American made. Its our jobs at stake. I did my part. For those who buy foreign detectors I wish ya luck, but we need to support our own at home. The v3i is a relic monster and by far the best detector I have ever owned, crying shame they are going out of business.
    Normsel and solx nys like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    9423 times
    We’ve seen it time and time again. Outdated business model by not staying up or ahead of the times.
    Historically, this has always lead to failure of most companies that refuse to update.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

us
    Jan 2019
    NC
    EQ800 (Stock Coil), XP ORX (X35 11") T2SE (Cors Shrew, Cors Scout)
    315 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggitdaddy View Post
    This really sucks, a big shocker. I bought a White V3i about 6 weeks ago, love the machine. So sick of hearing people cry about having to spend a little more money to buy American made. Its our jobs at stake. I did my part. For those who buy foreign detectors I wish ya luck, but we need to support our own at home. The v3i is a relic monster and by far the best detector I have ever owned, crying shame they are going out of business.
    I can respect what you are saying. But what does "Buy American" really mean today anyway? If you look at what Ken White wrote, he mentioned foreign parts sourcing. There are American companies here that could have supplied the components. So it is not an "All American" company. How can it be if they were sourcing parts from other countries to assemble their units?

I also agree with you on the V3i. Always wanted one, even though it is a heavy machine that eats batteries. What it could display on the screen fascinated me. It is a tinkerer's dream. I did hold a VX3 in my hands and at least see it function and even though it was a stripped down version of the V3i it appealed to me. Unfortunately at the time it was simply too heavy for a man that just had a car accident injury (my wife was also peeved that I snuck it in under the radar). White's made unique detectors for a very long time. But things did become stagnant.

Can you imaging what it would have been like to see the V4i?? Using modern surface mount miniaturized board design with more power efficient design, tight tolerance SM components, a high resolution display like those today on tablets but smaller and in full color, running 4 frequencies simultaneously instead of 3, carbon fiber rods, enhanced shielded coils with heavy coil wire to control box, a replaceable Lithium-ion battery pack, and best of all wireless built-in that uses ANY Low latency bluetooth headphones?? Now such a beast WOULD make a difference and WOULD have sold. It would have been White's way of preserving history while moving forward with the V Series Legacy.

What could have been..

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
    1518 times
    iam sorry i do not see anywhere he said anything about sourcing foreign parts.ive have only ever used there products, brad
    Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    I can respect what you are saying. But what does "Buy American" really mean today anyway? If you look at what Ken White wrote, he mentioned foreign parts sourcing. There are American companies here that could have supplied the components. So it is not an "All American" company. How can it be if they were sourcing parts from other countries to assemble their units?

I also agree with you on the V3i. Always wanted one, even though it is a heavy machine that eats batteries. What it could display on the screen fascinated me. It is a tinkerer's dream. I did hold a VX3 in my hands and at least see it function and even though it was a stripped down version of the V3i it appealed to me. Unfortunately at the time it was simply too heavy for a man that just had a car accident injury (my wife was also peeved that I snuck it in under the radar). White's made unique detectors for a very long time. But things did become stagnant.

Can you imaging what it would have been like to see the V4i?? Using modern surface mount miniaturized board design with more power efficient design, tight tolerance SM components, a high resolution display like those today on tablets but smaller and in full color, running 4 frequencies simultaneously instead of 3, carbon fiber rods, enhanced shielded coils with heavy coil wire to control box, a replaceable Lithium-ion battery pack, and best of all wireless built-in that uses ANY Low latency bluetooth headphones?? Now such a beast WOULD make a difference and WOULD have sold. It would have been White's way of preserving history while moving forward with the V Series Legacy.

What could have been..
    Diggitdaddy likes this.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    8966 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1637 View Post
    iam sorry i do not see anywhere he said anything about sourcing foreign parts.ive have only ever used there products, brad
    almost 100% of electrical components come from China. It doesnt matter where the components are built into circuit boards, the parts are Chinese.
    burlbark, Milspec6 and Normsel like this.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

Nov 2018
    2 times
    Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of electronic circuit components during 2019.

Hong Kong: US$134.5 billion (18.7% of exported electronic circuit components)
    China: $102.2 billion (14.2%)
    Taiwan: $100.4 billion (13.9%)
    South Korea: $79.1 billion (11%)
    Singapore: $76.9 billion (10.7%)
    Malaysia: $44.8 billion (6.2%)
    United States: $40.1 billion (5.6%)
    Japan: $27.8 billion (3.9%)
    Vietnam: $26.1 billion (3.6%)
    Philippines: $19 billion (2.6%)
    Germany: $14.9 billion (2.1%)
    Netherlands: $14.6 billion (2%)
    France: $7.7 billion (1.1%)
    Thailand: $7.6 billion (1.1%)
    Ireland: $7.2 billion (1%)

The listed 15 countries shipped 97.5% of global electronic circuit components exported in 2019 by value.

Mar 2020
    638 times
    Truly sad. If they would make an updated Spectra which was more streamlined and weatherproof I would buy it.
    Diggitdaddy likes this.

Mar 2020
    638 times
    Not sure what kind of retail market share Kellyco in FL has, but I have purchased three units from them. In their article on "Best Detectors" is the following pie chart. I personally find it interesting that I bought White's flagship unit on reputation alone without researching any other manufacturers. After many hours of research, You Tube videos, and forum threads, I purchased the Nox 800 ten months later. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whites4.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	1843493

us
    "We Build, We Fight"

Jan 2014
    The Evergreen State
    -Whites & Minelab-
    197 times
    I LOVE MY WHITES MXT
    1637, Diggitdaddy and solx nys like this.

Jun 2020
    3 times
    Sad a Whites was my first.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3582 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    Dang that IS sad news!! I never ran one, but I am a fossil from when Garrett and Whites ruled the detector market and they were really all one could choose from. I ended up with a Garrett because that's what the civil war hunters I knew preferred. Hopefully some of their employees will have a repair business for all you Whites guys.
    Greetings from another fossil (and fossil hunter - found a scarce Miocene porpoise tooth among about 5 dozen fossil shark teeth yesterday) who well remembers the time of the "Big 2". Forty years ago, the Garrett and Whites dominance was like a Chevy v Ford rivalry. I went with the Garrett and moved from a groundhog to the ADS Master Hunter 7. At the time, the competition was mostly Whites 6000Di and DiPro. There were a few Fishers and Compass detectors around. Both the Whites and Garrett were heavy and rugged (as were the Fisher and Compass). I remember seeing my first Tesoro, the first generation Eldorado and how it excelled with relics with greater comfort. I slowly transitioned, using the Garrett (six 9 volts!) to the Tesoro when the weight of the Garrett became more difficult for all-day hunts. I still haven't used a multi-freq machine. IMO, the greatest improvement in detectors has been the low weight and balance of the new machines of all makes.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    Jun 2020
    Nebraska
    Nokta Simplex
    96 times
    I learned the hard way when I had to close my business of 14 years....their is no such thing as customer loyalty. If they can get a comparable product / service for cheaper money, they will do so everytime. I think there are enough products out there that compete directly at a lower price point that long-established companies are going to struggle to survive.
    RustyGold and Diggitdaddy like this.

Feb 2018
    4 times
    My White's Surfmaster PI Pro is the best! White's makes quality detectors. There are still great people who repair them.
    Diggitdaddy and solx nys like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links