MDing public schools - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: MDing public schools

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2014
    Tucson, Arizona
    Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Used the Fisher F2 for one year
    804 times
    Metal Detecting
    First time it happened with the custodian, I walked away without saying anything and haven't been back since. My only concern is there are so few properties to detect as it is that if we lose schools, there will be little fun left in the hobby. I've had little luck asking for permissions and parks are virtually hunted out. I do not live near a beach. There's an old boy scout camp(1920s) on top of the mountain which is accessible but that place has been blitzed to death by MD'ers over the years--takes the fun out of the hobby!

us
    Jul 2010
    421 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 7up2000 View Post
    First time it happened with the custodian, I walked away without saying anything and haven't been back since. My only concern is there are so few properties to detect as it is that if we lose schools, there will be little fun left in the hobby. I've had little luck asking for permissions and parks are virtually hunted out. I do not live near a beach. There's an old boy scout camp(1920s) on top of the mountain which is accessible but that place has been blitzed to death by MD'ers over the years--takes the fun out of the hobby!
    As the old sayin' goes, "It sounds like you've been reading my mail." I share your pain.
    7up2000 likes this.

Nov 2012
    1477 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have several schools that I do visit on occasion. One in particular where even though it was the weekend the principal she came charging up in her SUV and jumped out and approached me hollering. She wanted to know what I was doing on her property. I politely told her that I had previously received permission from the school board and she calmed down. After I showed her the trash out of my finds pouch with rusty nails, screws, razor blades, bottle caps, and other things that would cause damage to a child if they fell on it the wrong way. All has been good ever since. communications is needed at times.
    cudamark likes this.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    9023 times
    Your first clue should have been that the property was gated.
    sjvalleyhunter likes this.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2586 times
    Metal Detecting
    In my area most schools have no trespassing dusk to dawn signs, haven't hit a school in quite a while but when I do its usually in the dark with a headband flashlight. Not because I am worried about custodians but because I can be assured I won't be interfering with playing, annoying kids and I like detecting in the dark.
    I wouldn't "make a stand" and willingly get the cops involved, thats ridiculous advise. Surely he isn't there 24/7, just go there when he isn't.
    sjvalleyhunter likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8789 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Your first clue should have been that the property was gated.
    Years ago, fenced schools were to keep the kids from leaving campus, not keeping the public out. With school shootings and pervs running amok, things have changed. Maybe not so much in rural areas, but, in the cities, they're getting a lot tougher on security.
    7up2000 likes this.
    ​Avitech Associate

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    14772 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Check with the school district; if it's forbidden, don't. If it isn't banned, go for it.
    Acting 'macho' when confronted on school grounds might get you an unpleasant, unnecessary, and unintended result.
    Don.....

Nov 2005
    White's V3
    2 times
    I checked out a great-looking public school on Google Earth yesterday and drove about 60 miles to get there, only to find it fenced, gated, and locked with a "No trespassing" sign on it. I guess during COVID, you have to be ready for anything.
    7up2000 likes this.

us
    Jan 2014
    Utah
    199 times
    I asked permission and was declined, the guy in charge of grounds said no. I like to have permissions on my person in case nosy Naney approaches or cops are called.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links