MDing public schools

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
School isn't in session so I tried to md a public school during the day. Gates were open, but a custodian said I wasn't allowed--that I needed to have "official school business". In 6 years this is only the 2nd time I haven't been allowed at a public school(both times were custodians giving me the bad news). Regretfully, I argued with the guy and he finally said it was because of covid-19. I was wondering what others' experiences have been in mding public schools. BTW, I've MD'd schools many, many times and no one has ever said anything(non-school hours, of course, with open gates). Schools have always been my go-to property(especially this school), so I was very disappointed to hear this news.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first clue should have been that the property was gated.

Years ago, fenced schools were to keep the kids from leaving campus, not keeping the public out. With school shootings and pervs running amok, things have changed. Maybe not so much in rural areas, but, in the cities, they're getting a lot tougher on security.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Check with the school district; if it's forbidden, don't. If it isn't banned, go for it.
Acting 'macho' when confronted on school grounds might get you an unpleasant, unnecessary, and unintended result.
Don.....

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
I checked out a great-looking public school on Google Earth yesterday and drove about 60 miles to get there, only to find it fenced, gated, and locked with a "No trespassing" sign on it. I guess during COVID, you have to be ready for anything.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked permission and was declined, the guy in charge of grounds said no. I like to have permissions on my person in case nosy Naney approaches or cops are called.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread