Best Light Weight Metal Detector
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Best Light Weight Metal Detector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett GTI 1500
    59 times

Best Light Weight Metal Detector

So, my detector has died. It's time for a new one. I do not detect as often as I would like, but I love doing it and I prefer a top quality detector. I have a bad back, so...if there is a really good one that might be lightweight, that would be great. My preferences are simplicity of use, lightweight, possible water/beach usage and high quality.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8940 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    My first choice would be the Equinox. If that's a bit more than you want to spend, you might look at the Vanquish and Simplex. The Deus is probably the lightest of the high end machines, but, it's not a particularly good machine in wet salt water/sand and it not waterproof without an extra kit. It's also a rather expensive choice. The Equinox is a much better buy and except for heavy iron, just as good or better than the Deus and only slightly heavier.
    nuggetdog and ColonelDan like this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4814 times
    You might look into a harness for when you are detecting to redistribute the weight of your detector.I don't have a link to any but maybe someone else will chime in with a suggestion of a good harness.That would be best if you have a bad back.
    Coinboy and RustyGold like this.
    back of the boat

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000 -- Equinox 600 -- Vanquish 540 -- Minelab Pro Find 35 // Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger // Bunk's Hermit Pick // Sponsored By Fort Bedford Metal Detectors
    25171 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Tesoro Compadre - IF you can find one.

Charter Member
    us
    Treasureman$)

May 2013
    Wisconsin
    Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
    367 times
    I think you will get a vast range of responses on detector recommendations.. but personally I enjoy using whites Mx sport.I would venture to guess that a nox 600 or 800 would be lighter. I’d like to try one out myself. Sorry to hear about your back. My L5 is bulged myself. I know the feeling! Happy hunting!
    RustyGold and Diggitdaddy like this.
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Jul 2013
    1569 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    The XP Orx is the lightest detector. If youíre not doing much salt water detecting itís so comfortable on the wrist and shoulder. I hunted 8 hrs in and out of the water the other day and my arm wasnít fatigued at all. Iíve had mine for a few months now and itís very reliable and a well built detector.
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    31305 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'd also go with the XP Orx or XP Deus. It's under 2 pounds. Also works good as a cane! No foodling! The Equinox series is a pound heavier and nose heavy so a lot of people add at least another half pound as a counter weight to it. It hurt my arm to use it. Being an old toad myself, I found the Deus and my Tesoro Cibola the weight class champs. Tesoro makes machines that are very hard to break, but they are now out of business.

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    1438 times
    Was thinking of a NOX myself, after using the 5 pounder Whites for years. My Dual Field is a bear on front end loading. I've rebalenced my CZ-21 so even heavy its not hard to handle. Now have a shoulder that is becoming a pain ........Like Smokey said about front weight on the NOX. I may take another look at the Deus.
    RustyGold and relicmeister like this.

us
    Mar 2013
    California
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    3787 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm suggesting looking at the Minelab Simplex, price, weight, etc. Watch some youtube videos with that machine..
    .....or, the Garrett ACe Apex, for the value - can't vouch for their performance...I aint selling...
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2676 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemustdigtreasure View Post
    I'm suggesting looking at the Minelab Simplex, price, weight, etc. Watch some youtube videos with that machine..
    .....or, the Garrett ACe Apex, for the value - can't vouch for their performance...I aint selling...
    Minelab does not make the Simplex, Nokta does [a Turkish outfit]
    RustyGold, rebbel31 and Coinboy like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8940 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I'd also go with the XP Orx or XP Deus. It's under 2 pounds. Also works good as a cane! No foodling! The Equinox series is a pound heavier and nose heavy so a lot of people add at least another half pound as a counter weight to it. It hurt my arm to use it. Being an old toad myself, I found the Deus and my Tesoro Cibola the weight class champs. Tesoro makes machines that are very hard to break, but they are now out of business.
    The Equinox is just over a half pound heavier than the Deus (.63 lb.). With the stock 11" coil it's only slightly nose heavy. with the 6" coil, it's not at all, and even lighter. With the 12 X 15" coil, you might want a sling or a counterbalanced shaft that Steve's Detecting Rods makes. The Equinox is also a much better salt water beach machine.
    Mudflap, ColonelDan and RustyGold like this.
    ​Avitech Associate

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    31305 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Steve makes great after market shafts, but there's probably another $100 spent...
    RustyGold likes this.

us
    Jul 2018
    Mountains of Western Colorado
    Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Crystal ball,Noggin,Do the math.
    2250 times
    Garrett Ace 400 and if you feel you are a more proficient operator upgrade to an AT Max.
    Last edited by cyzak; Aug 20, 2020 at 07:29 PM.
    The mountains have rules.They are harsh rules,but they are there,and if you keep to them you are safe.A mountain is not like men. A mountain is sincere. The weapons to conquer it exists inside you,inside your soul.

us
    Apr 2004
    Southern Appalachia
    Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
    1135 times
    Fisher F22

us
    Nov 2011
    XP Deus
    1308 times
    You want a light detector look at XP Deus or ORX. They work in salt and you can get an adapter kit for water use. The Deus is really a joy to swing. I don't think any other top detector can claim that. Not trying to put anyone down but others have bought other detector and when they switched to XP they were much happier. Extra weight is not the only comfort issue. Many are out of balance. And talk to the dealers to get the best unadvertised price. Very similar price.
    Love transcends this world we live in to Heaven.
    I'll leave it to you to figure out where the opposite goes.

If your heart is in it you will find a thousand ways to achieve your goal.
    If your heart is not in it you will find a thousand excuses.

Ouija Board and map dowsing , one and the same. Just tape a map onto the Ouija Board and you have map dowsing.
    Works great if you like wild goose chases and snipe hunts!

L-rods are obsolete.

May you never take one single breath for granted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links