Aug 8, 2020
FL East Coast
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Pulsedive
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve looked all over the forums for this info but haven’t found too much referencing what I’m looking for. I’m trying to purchase or build a large coil pi machine. The main use would be to locate relics such as armor, swords, helmets, etc. and I have a large area to cover. DIY is not a problem but off the shelf is ok as well. I’ve noticed some members that are well versed in this area but have not been able to find their info again to pm them. Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got a Delta Pulse. What you need for that is a PI that runs at a low pulse rate. My DP runs at 100hz, whereas my TDI SL runs from 2.5 to 3.0khz. For small gold you need the higher frequency, but it doesn't give you the depth of the slower machine. With a 1 meter coil my DP sees a shovel at 5'. I'm currently waiting on a printed circuit board to build a new DP, and might sell the one I have. But I'm not interested in selling it right now. I'm stilll making coils of various sizes to try with it. Currently have a 1 meter, a 24", and a 12". Will soon make a 9 x 18 elliptical for it.
Jim

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here’s an idea lol!

F7519894-EB6B-451A-921A-E95C8546FE11.jpeg

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using DBP 2010 with 1m x 1,2m square coil on regular basis. In my oppinion the beast home made PI ever, quite decent compared with commercial deep seaking PIs, as well as professional ones. It can see large targets down to 4m but i usualy use it with settings to ignore small items up to the size of beer can, with this settings it can go good 2m only, which suits me fine most of thime. No discrimination. The cost of buliding, boxing and battery: around 300EUR. Second best choice of home brew PIs is Sniffer XR71, also known as delta pulse. You can order assembled kit from newhobby.com for around 70 EUR (motherboard only). It would work fine for large targets down to 2m, maybe 3m. You can push it harder, howewer, to reach or even cross 4m depth, but it will get notoriously unstabil. No discrimination.
For around 1000 to 1300 EUR, you can purchase Deep Seaker from Golden Mask. Depth and stability wise is comparable with DBP2010, but it features Fe/ non Fe discrimination - do not count on that information. Non the less it is fine, durable and wery capable detector.
For around 5000 to 6000 EUR, there is a professional Lorentz Deepmax Z1, beaoutifoul kitten, with much better discrimination, noise canceling double coil, gps, data logger, 3d software........etc, etc. This kitten's purr doesn't come chip, howewer.

There is another thing with deep seeking PIs, howewer. You will be forced to gather information about the target you will be looking for, from diferent sources, before you might decide to dig say 3m hole on a terrain accesible by foot only. It is many cubic meters of dirt to remove, and ofently you will be literally able to really feel it.

Feel free to contact me on PM, if you need DBP2010 shematics.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Minelab GPZ 7000 equipped with a 20"+ coil will easily hit targets that size a one-meter.:skullflag:

OP
OP
A

Attakpilot

Aug 8, 2020
FL East Coast
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Pulsedive
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information so far! I’ve found small relics so far with my nox to indicate I should be checking for some of the larger items to prove out some theories as to what went on where I am searching. There is no documented history to tell me so it’s up to me to figure out. I only need about 2m depth as anything else will get into the water table. The entire area is equipment accessible so digging is no problem. I will look into those that were mentioned. Building is no problem, I just don’t have the experience to know which frequencies would be best though I have a better understanding now from your posts. Next step will be determining coil resistance etc. Thanks again!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also recently built a 24" coil for my TDI SL. That will be used for really large copper nuggets in Nevada. It, and the GM24K with the 14" coil, works well on the metal ore down to about 14" on the 2lb nodule. The 24" coil is to try and locate a metal seam, if one exists.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread