Round Signals: What exactly do they sound like?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By AllmetalDetectorist
  • 2 Post By nuggetdog
  • 4 Post By Tom Slick
  • 3 Post By Bart@Big Boys Hobbies
  • 2 Post By Charlie P. (NY)

Thread: Round Signals: What exactly do they sound like?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2017
    Mississippi
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer AT
    15 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Round Signals: What exactly do they sound like?

So I've always been told to dig solid round signals but what does that exactly mean? Is it the spaced out double tone that a ring sounds like when it's flat on the ground? I hear this same spaced out double tone with nickels and pulltabs. Can anyone provide some good videos with examples of a "round signal"? Thanks.

us
    Jan 2014
    Utah
    253 times
    You get a double tone on shallow targets and a round tone sounds good and solid with no sharp edges, your probably wondering what do sharp edges sound like at this point

us
    Tom

Jul 2012
    Mesa AZ
    Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus & ORX, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/BigFoot coil, Tesoro Tiger Shark
    306 times
    A round sound has no fuzz, buzz, or spikes in it's sound, just smooth and "round". Place a coin on the ground and then about a foot away place a bottle cap. Swing over the coin and then the Bottle cap. Try other trash targets also. I feel its important to do this back and forth testing, going from coin to trash item many times. Soon you'll be able to tell the difference in the smooth, round sound of the coin and the more raspy sound of the trash. Some detectors have better audio than others making the differences between coin and trash easier to decipher. The Makro/Nokta, and XP (Deus, ORX) detectors are excellent in this regards as are many others.
    ArfieBoy, dave_e, ecmo and 1 others like this.
    45 Years detecting
    Current Arsenal: Minelab Equinox 800, XP ORX, XP Deus, White's DFX w/BigFoot x 3, Tesoro Tiger Shark

us
    Big Boys Hobbies

Jul 2005
    Moore Oklahoma
    Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
    729 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AllmetalDetectorist View Post
    So I've always been told to dig solid round signals but what does that exactly mean? Is it the spaced out double tone that a ring sounds like when it's flat on the ground? I hear this same spaced out double tone with nickels and pulltabs. Can anyone provide some good videos with examples of a "round signal"? Thanks.
    This is a great questions and I have been asked it many times. Every time I try to explain it to someone I feel like I fail. I honestly think it's more of a feeling that an audio sound. It is extremely hard to explain to a person. Best short answer I have is is a solid, pure tone with no cracks or audio deflections or variations.
    Hddeuce03, ArfieBoy and terrafirma like this.

Contact us for fastest and best service around!

We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Metal Detectors, Nokta Makro Metal Detectors, Garrett Metal Detectors, XP Deus, Fisher Metal Detectors, Teknetics Metal Detectors

Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012 and 2013.

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    Compass X-70, II, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass X-100, Compass Judge 2,
    1197 times
    Between nuggetdog, Tom and Bart, I think they pretty well covered it! Great question. Thanks for posting.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    4603 times
    Hmm. A solid round signal includes bottle caps as well as iron washers, folks. After all, these items are round. A new quarter from Canada is round.
    Plenty of bad signals that are round out there.
    If you get a short signal one way and a longer signal sweeping 90%, that is NOT a round sound.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    14072 times
    Metal Detecting
    As a visual aid.

Round tone:
    "oOo"

Clipped tone:
    "+Oo" or "oO+"

Cluck tone:
    "o-o"

Many detectors now have a digital alarm rather than an analog tone response so you just get different pitches rather than the clicks and chatter (foil, nails, off shapes) that ond analog machines spoke to you with.
    ecmo and AllmetalDetectorist like this.
    Political correctness is facism pretending to be manners -- George Carlin

us
    Sep 2017
    Mississippi
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer AT
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    As a visual aid.

Round tone:
    "oOo"

Clipped tone:
    "+Oo" or "oO+"

Cluck tone:
    "o-o"

Many detectors now have a digital alarm rather than an analog tone response so you just get different pitches rather than the clicks and chatter (foil, nails, off shapes) that ond analog machines spoke to you with.
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links