How to Hunt Cellars?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Capncrunch
  • 2 Post By VTColonialDigger
  • 1 Post By Megalodon

Thread: How to Hunt Cellars?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Hey you! Or John

Mar 2020
    KCMO Area
    White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Nokta Makro Simplex+
    206 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

How to Hunt Cellars?

I found a cellar on my relics site! It was in the woods covered with poison Ivy, during the 'green months', so I didn't see it. But even now I know I'll have to be very careful hunting it, because there's ivy all around it! I've never hunted a cellar so feel free to give tips and advice (any good ideas for the poison ivy appreciated too)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M Hill 11-27-20 Root Cellar.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	1884400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M Hill 11-27-20 Root Cellar2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	1884401  
    I'm excited by the mystery of the history!

us
    Oct 2016
    Vermont
    Garrett ACE 400, ProPointer AT
    1951 times
    Metal Detecting
    When I hunt cellar holes, I usually start close, as that is where the highest concentration of relics is. Gridding the site is the best way to find the most.
    trdking and Capncrunch like this.
    Notable 2020 Finds:

Coins: 1863, 1865, 1873, 1874, 1881, 1897, 1902 indian head pennies, 2 Connecticut coppers, 1 wiped colonial copper (suspected CT copper), Georgivs Triumpho 1783 copper, 1808 Half Cent, 1820's counterfeit Large Cent, 1846 Large Cent, 1853 Trime, 1957 Rosie Dime

Relics: Brass batwing buckle, small pewter spoon bowl, ornate shoe buckle frame fragment, 2 silver rings, crotal bell, Henry rifle bullet, lots of 18th -19th century flat buttons of varying sizes & metal types

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3787 times
    I haven't hunted cellar holes for a long time but they are fun and a great place to find buttons. I found some cellar holes of small homes burned by the British in 1814 in the months before burning the White House. The inside corners had more soil piled up and it helped to scrape that material out with a trowel in the manner of an archaeological dig. If it was on my own property, I'd use a shaker table.

Long sleeves and gloves and best for poison ivy but of course, then you get one of those hairy vines hit you in the face - so much for preparation... Wash up promptly with soaps that remove the poison ivy resin. I use a fels naptha laundry soap bar in the shower.
    Capncrunch likes this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    Hey you! Or John

Mar 2020
    KCMO Area
    White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Nokta Makro Simplex+
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VTColonialDigger View Post
    When I hunt cellar holes, I usually start close, as that is where the highest concentration of relics is. Gridding the site is the best way to find the most.
    So, is there any special way or area of the cellar to be sure to hunt? Can you tell me, is it only a few feet deep because the (sod?) roof likely caved-in and is now on the floor, or etc?
    I'm excited by the mystery of the history!

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    11435 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I donít know anyone who actually finds anything inside the actual hole. Even the area directly around the foundation is difficult to hunt because of the huge amount of iron from nails from walls and roofs that have collapsed. About 3í away to 25í is the hot area. Then look where the well is, where the horse carriage who drop people off, flat areas where the kids would play. I also bring a pack of Clorox type wipes with me and I wipe down every hour when messing with poison ivy. Good luck

Sponsored Links