need your opinion please!

DeepHunter

Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm excited to be a member in this Forum, i want your opinion about the best cheap metal detectors that has a discrimination function and a decent depth, for example i want it to find coin size objects up to 12 inch deep or more, and bigger objects such as metal helmet 25 inch or more, and the price range between $200-$300.
also i want you opinion about this metal detector that i found on ebay:

(deleted for rule violation)

thanks for your help..

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm excited to be a member in this Forum, i want your opinion about the best cheap metal detectors that has a discrimination function and a decent depth, for example i want it to find coin size objects up to 12 inch deep or more, and bigger objects such as metal helmet 25 inch or more, and the price range between $200-$300.
also i want you opinion about this metal detector that i found on ebay:

(deleted for rule violation)

thanks for your help..

Link was deleted because it violated our rules. As far as detector link you posted I wouldn't pay $50 for it, it is a piece of junk. Check into the Minelab Vanquish 540, you can get it for about $370.[h=3][/h]

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range, probably a used PI detector. No discrimination though. Maybe a Vanquish or Simplex would find your hypothetical items, but, that may be at the limit of their range......or slightly beyond depending on the soil and hunting conditions.

OP
OP
D

DeepHunter

Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Link was deleted because it violated our rules. As far as detector link you posted I wouldn't pay $50 for it, it is a piece of junk. Check into the Minelab Vanquish 540, you can get it for about $370.[h=3][/h]

sorry for posting the link, thanks for your reply, so is it that bad! did any one try one of this company metal detectors?
it's called PIRATE metal detectors. I couldn't find any vender on amazon that sells these metal detectors, only found a few on ebay.

OP
OP
D

DeepHunter

Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for your reply, how about bounty hunter, garret, and fisher, is there any metal detector that meet my requirements $500 or less unit price?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That price limit is still tough for a new detector that will do what you want on depth. I feel pretty confident that a Minelab Equinox will work in most areas, as long as the ground mineralization or EMI isn't too bad. If you're current or former military, I believe Minelab is still giving a 15% discount. That would bring the 600 down to around $550 or so. The best Vanquish would probably get pretty close to that too, but, it isn't waterproof if that is important to you. A Fisher F75 might get the job done also. Some will say the Garrett AT series will do it, but, I have my doubts. Maybe in REAL favorable ground they MIGHT. Difficult ground, no. There may be a Notka/Macro that will get that depth with discrimination. I don't own one, so, I can't comment there.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I'd second the Simplex or Vanquish...there are 2 or 3 different levels of Vanquish at varying prices, but only one Simplex. I own a Simplex and LOVE it! But I've also heard great things about the Vanquish MD. Whatever you decide, happy hunting!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for your reply, how about bounty hunter, garret, and fisher, is there any metal detector that meet my requirements $500 or less unit price?

Contact multiple vendors and inquire.
To remove bias , I won't name my favorite here who is a member.

Best and cheap are seldom partners.

12inches of soil or debris can be composed of any variety of conditions affecting the most expensive detector.
Then there is operator understanding of the unit being employed.

Supporting Vendors

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with those who recommend the Vanquish series. I have a 440 that my grand kids use and it's a very capable detector....multi frequency at home on the beach as well as land, simple to use and employs much of the Equinox technology. Retails for $270.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
12" on a coin...unless you have fantastic soil don't hold your breath on many detectors at any price except for a PI unit, for low end quality entry level units this depth is just a wish.
For garbage low end low price detectors this would be a dream...no matter what they tell you in their advertising.
Simplex and Vanquish, I have no experience with them but I can tell you in mineralized dirt my Equinox 800 struggles to get to even 8-9" .
The Teknetics Patriot is super deep, or it can be in great soil and with luck hit your marks but if not good soil forget it.
You can get one for $399, however.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact multiple vendors and inquire.
To remove bias , I won't name my favorite here who is a member.

Best and cheap are seldom partners.

12inches of soil or debris can be composed of any variety of conditions affecting the most expensive detector.
Then there is operator understanding of the unit being employed.

Supporting Vendors

Edit. You already have a Minelab 540.
Use it. Give yourself a hundred hours on it before looking for another detector.
Going with a less known brand with scant reviews is not likely going to top your existing detector. Or boost your experience by having to learn a new unit , without having learned your current one and both it and your capabilities yet.

He already has a Vanquish 540? I didn't see that information........

OP
OP
D

DeepHunter

Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys for your all valued opinions, indeed it will help me choose the right detector for me, i have a friend that owns a german metal detector which is pulse star pro, he didn't use it a lot and it's in great condition, do you recommend it to me for deep big targets and also for small gold nuggets?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Good luck finding a dime at 12 inches. It can be done but you better be one with the unit. That means 100's of hours learning what a deep coin sounds like. No VDI will tell you it is a coin at 15 inches. Well, maybe the CTX, idk. The CTX is pricey and heavy.
I agree with releventchair. Give your current machine 100 hours in the field. Dig ALL iffy deep signals. There is no getting around diggin trash since trash is what is usually dropped.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys for your all valued opinions, indeed it will help me choose the right detector for me, i have a friend that owns a german metal detector which is pulse star pro, he didn't use it a lot and it's in great condition, do you recommend it to me for deep big targets and also for small gold nuggets?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with a Pulse Star Pro. Judging by it's name, it's probably a PI (Pulse Induction) machine. If so, it will have no reliable discrimination. Probably good depth though.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Search the used market for whites xlt, dfx, or mxt. But be warned,, they are not entry level machines, and could frustrate you. But these machines were the top of the line not too many years ago. I have gotten a dfx for 300 used. A used Fisher, teknetics, or maybe a new bounty hunter you could get in that price range. The bounty hunter is entry level, and it isn't a top of the line detector, but I have owned one when I was starting out and found some good things with it. The bounty hunter land ranger pro is 250ish new. The same company, first texas, makes fisher, teknetics, and bounty hunter.

Lots of dealers have used machines they will sell you. Check there as well.

Good luck...

BUSTEDACES

Dec 11, 2020
roberta ga
Detector(s) used
minelab ctx 3030 ,orx xp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello brother fellow hunter one thing ive leanred over the years you pay for what you get it use to be prices of detectors 100,.00 a inch in depth but now days you can get a pretty good detector that is usually does one thing good if i was you i do research prior to purchasing and know exactly what you want to hunt a decent all around detector is the equinox series like 600 or 800 or even the ap series by garret ive used many type over the years from tesoro golden sabre,whites vmi3,spectrum,minelab explorer,fisher gold hunter, now i have deus xp orx,minelab 3030 ctx my self i enjoy being to hunt everything but every unit has its pros and cons just do your own research to read what others say about using the detector you pick good luck and happy hunting god bless ray

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry for posting the link, thanks for your reply, so is it that bad! did any one try one of this company metal detectors?
it's called PIRATE metal detectors. I couldn't find any vender on amazon that sells these metal detectors, only found a few on ebay.

There's a section in this Forum, for vendors - they should help you a lot...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions