Suggestion for post-hurricane metal detector
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By CaptainChance
  • 1 Post By CalReg
  • 3 Post By cudamark
  • 1 Post By CaptainChance
  • 1 Post By Coinboy
  • 3 Post By cudamark

Thread: Suggestion for post-hurricane metal detector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2014
    Tucson, AZ and Worldwide
    13 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Suggestion for post-hurricane metal detector

Hello everyone.

I'm a full time storm chaser / hurricane chaser who has done some limited detector searching on the east and west coasts.

To give a brief family background, my uncle was likely the first person to use a metal detector in the San Diego region after WWII. He was involved in land mine detecting during the war and he used his knowledge to build one of the first "private" detectors. Back then, the un-searched beaches were loaded with loot. He had the walls of his home lined with gallon jars loaded with gold watches, rings, coins, etc. I believe he eventually sold everyone off for over 500k, back in the 1970's before he died.

I often chase hurricanes along Florida's Treasure Coast and have a desire to do some post-storm detecting. I want to get some professional opinions concerning the best detector to use in wet, disturbed sand. Yes, I am well aware you cannot search in the water. I need a good detector that will filter out iron. I also need a detector that can be broken down and fit in luggage. I currently have a 9-10 year old Whites MXT 300mm that I'm sure is very outdated.

Thanks in advance:

Warren Faidley
    http://www.stormchaser.com
    Coinboy likes this.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    16947 times
    Don't want to filter out "iron". I found something good on the treasure coast while digging a strong iron signal

clv
    us
    Dec 2012
    santee, ca
    Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Minelab Eureka gold, Tesoro Compadre, and TRX Pin Pointer Have owned; White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro, fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, fisher 1235x, Garret Master Hunter V
    1083 times
    You want a detector that has a relic setting would be good choice for a person without a lot of experience.
    Minelab make a few that has this setting. An older machine that will work well is the Safari. There are other machines out there but this is the detector I use the most. It will also break down to fit in a small box, about the size of a small/medium suitcase.
    Don' ask, Don't tell, just DIG!

us
    Middle Schooler

Dec 2019
    Iowa
    Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet Predatortools
    698 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Minelab Equinox
    Check out my YouTube Channel!-Coinboy Detecting and collecting! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFLxG6yeF6ejxaAUp6vpaow
    Winner of February 2020 Vaughan Garret's Favorite Finds for my 1754 2 Reales!
    “Today’s the day!”- Mel Fisher
    “It’s so much fun!”- Kurt from the Hoover Boys

100 silvers in 3 years of detecting

Charter Member
    us
    Reg

May 2020
    San Jose, CA
    Tarsacci MDT 8000, Nokta Makro Simplex, Minelab E-Trac
    714 times
    Metal Detecting
    If you're not worried about iron or other junk, you might want to try a pulse induction machine. It's deeper than a good VLF but it won't discriminate. People who hunt beaches a lot have a good water "resistant" VLF machine that does well in wet sand and a pulse induction MD for those deep, hard to detect objects. Good luck and happy hunting!
    Coinboy likes this.
    "The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future." Oscar Wilde

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9296 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coinboy View Post
    Minelab Equinox
    That would be my preference too, mainly because it's light, can be reasonably broken down into small enough pieces to get into a big suitcase, and it does a very good job in wet salt water sand. Nothing wrong with an Excalibur or CTX either, but they're heavier, more expensive, and aren't quite as packable. A Deus wouldn't be a terrible choice either, but, it's not as good on depth and target I.D. as the Minelabs. Same story with the Makro/Notka stuff.
    Coinboy, gunsil and ColonelDan like this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Aug 2014
    Tucson, AZ and Worldwide
    13 times
    Thanks everyone. I'm amazed at how few of the "top" detectors don't break down enough to fit in normal luggage. I'm assuming the manufacturers think everyone is hunting locally. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Safari or Equinox.
    Last edited by CaptainChance; Jan 03, 2021 at 05:45 PM.
    Coinboy likes this.

us
    Middle Schooler

Dec 2019
    Iowa
    Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet Predatortools
    698 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChance View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'm amazed at how few of the "top" detectors don't break down enough to fit in normal luggage. I'm assuming the manufacturers think everyone is hunting locally. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Safari or Equinox.
    For beach hunting get the Equinox.
    CaptainChance likes this.
    Check out my YouTube Channel!-Coinboy Detecting and collecting! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFLxG6yeF6ejxaAUp6vpaow
    Winner of February 2020 Vaughan Garret's Favorite Finds for my 1754 2 Reales!
    “Today’s the day!”- Mel Fisher
    “It’s so much fun!”- Kurt from the Hoover Boys

100 silvers in 3 years of detecting

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9296 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChance View Post
    Both would work fine at the beach. I get the feeling that the Safari's days are numbered however, and frankly, the Equinox is a much better buy and works better in just about every area of detecting. The only real plus of the Safari is that there are tons of different coils for it, so, if you also have an Explorer or Etrac, you can use their coils on the Safari. But, If you already have one of those detectors, you probably wouldn't be asking about the Safari!
    ​Avitech Associate

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2016
    FLA
    837 times
    Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Cat-like reflexes with a sloth-like brain

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    EQX 800; CTX 3030; Excal II
    1418 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I agree with cudamark. I had a Safari and have an Equinox 800 for hunting our Florida beaches. Hands down I prefer the Equinox....Faster processor, lighter, better separation, much more sensitive and deeper than the Safari.

The Safari is old technology and just can’t compete with the Equinox in my personal opinion but as I always say, that’s just the view from my foxhole....
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets~

~"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It’s up to you to pick the best seat~

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links