What sorts of things would a soldier have with him during the American Indian Wars?

BABALONGOGGLES

Jan 10, 2020
Eastern WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the opportunity to detect a property that I've verified to be part of a battlefield. I'd like to know what things a soldier might have with him before and during a battle. I know that had canteens, guns, buttons, medals, etc., but did they carry coins? Were they ever paid with coins or paper money, or was it just a check or deposit in a bank account? I don't get these opportunities often and I'd just appreciate some idea of what I should be looking for and if I should just go for relics and forget about old coinage. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Please read the Indian war of 1864, there are a few descriptions of what they carried. There are others but That book is a must read, Indian wars journal.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont know if you would get much coinage on a battlefield - i wouldnt want to be jingle jangling with a pocket full of change
would think they would leave money in camp - camps are real good for coins

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A jar of sunscreen if he was smart

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Relic hunters forget about old coinage? Dig it all and that is what is going to tell you what you're looking for and or what to concentrate on.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going hunting where there was Indian campaign you'll likely be out in wide open spaces with little to no inhabitants near by. So run all metal mode, sensitivity set just under instability and dig every target. You shouldn't find any pulltabs, or aluminium cans , everything should be a potential happy face target.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you no your in an old site when you don’t find dam pull tabs and cans good point for sure that’s why I like woods detecting you get the feeling real quick if it’s old and not detected, nice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread