I found a second semi-automatic hand gun while detecting west of the sand dunes....

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really wasn't sure where to post this find. Cache Forum or Metal Detecting.Two Sundays ago I went back to the permission where I found the American Arms 25 cal hand gun under the Lincoln cents in March.
LINK to that thread- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/651514-new-permission-bizzarre-american-arms-type-day.html

I wanted to clear out the rest of the Lincoln cents my AT Max told me where there and to see if there might be some ammo stashed in the ground since none were in the magazine on that 25 cal hand gun.
I rounded the corner and got up under the seagrapes I could see two 5" holes someone had left in the ground near the spot I found the 25 cal. I had a sinking feeling because I was so tired and flustered after finding it three weeks before, I left without checking for more items! :BangHead:

I started digging Lincolns and then got another higher signal. As I scooped I noticed yellow plastic which reminded me of a doggy doo bag but I knew no one would bury a doggie doo bag. :hello2:
I took my time and got an image before removing the bag from the sand. This one was only about 3' from the first one I found!!!!
Insitu2.JPG

After I extracted the bag I could tell from the profile it was another hand gun. Unfortunately it wasn't as well protected as the first one.
Insitu6Extracted-FlatBarrel.JPG Insitu7-Extracted-FlatBarrel.JPG Insitu8-Extracted-ClearBag.JPG

The next image shows a jar of petroleum jelly found in the same area. It may have been used on the gun to try and preserve it.
Insitu12-Extracted-ClearBag-VaselineJar.JPG

As you can see the rust really got to this one even though they had some kind of yellow-ish/white-ish oil based product on it. The magazine was inserted when I found it and I was very cautious because of the rust.
Insitu13-Extracted-NoBags.JPG Insitu14-Extracted-NoBags.JPG Insitu17-Hammer-.JPG

The only Identifying markings I could find were " CAL 40 S-W". does anyone know if the 8 pointed Star on the handle might be a manufacturers logo?
Insitu23-Cal40S-W-DischargeExcellent-.JPG Insitu15-Grip-.JPG
I handed this one into the local Pd as well and will followup when I hear more on it.

Another thing the other guys left behind was an anchor (I think) that I had seen before sticking out of the ground about 8". The eye was about 2-1/2" inside and the galvanized steel was about 3/4" in diameter. I dug a skinny hole to what I think was the bottom, and it was about 5" long. I couldn't see the flukes to confirm it actually was an anchor.
GalvAnchor-2InchRingHole-ThreeQaurterInchRod-5FootShaft-UnableToExtract.JPG

Thanks for looking and wish everyone as much fun as they can handle as the weather improves.

ps. Here is the first gun I found just to put both on one thread for everyone.
Handgun-Extracted2.JPG

Upvote 0

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and White's Spectra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting finds and with the location of the 2 being so close, I would lean towards the firearms being stolen or used in a nefarious manner. Good job on turning them in.

I would also bet that the local PD now has an intereest in this location.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting finds and with the location of the 2 being so close, I would lean towards the firearms being stolen or used in a nefarious manner. Good job on turning them in.

I would also bet that the local PD now has an intereest in this location.

They already had this site on their radar before I found mine. The first one I found I turned in to the local PD as well and they said someone found one before me in the same area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread