Metal detector question.

Yeti

Mar 22, 2005
Missouri/ Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE/ Explorer XS/ White's Eagle II sl
I have been using my White's Eagle II since the late 1989. I was wondering is there any advantages in getting a new DFX or Minelab EX? I was told at the detector shop that the newer detectors are just lighter. Is this correct? I would have thought that they would wanted to sell me a new detector. Has anyone went from a Eagle II to a DFX or EX? I do know that Minelab's don't pinpoint very good.

Any help?

Thanks

Upvote 0
R

Rich

ahh i wouldnt go by what you were told,Minelabs depth cant be beat,also Whites are among the best still,...
I had the MD your speaking of when they came out,...but i can say a DFX or Explorer are great detectors,top of the line!....
Minelabs are a hunk of $$$$ to get and takes some to learn but worth it in the end!,...
I also heard very very good results with a DFX,.....

trade that old digital relic in,grab a new whites or a used explorer,........but also get a aftermarket coil-------- from personal experience.....,

also if they told you that the Minelab is lighter,then they pulled the wool over your eyes--- look around for good deals, do a trade in.......but dont let anyone say the top above detectors are lighter and have no differnce in depth ,.........Minlab also i think has a contract to build MD's for landmines,...so i would go with the best if serious...

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
Sounds like a pretty easy going salesman, why not put together a group of samples , take your present unit in,test, and compair the results. I think it would be worth the peace of mind when spending the money to feel that it truly is an upgrade.
I would also look at the MXT , it's well regarded.

OP
OP
Y

Yeti

Mar 22, 2005
Missouri/ Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE/ Explorer XS/ White's Eagle II sl
Thanks for the help. I will just have to save up and get a newer MD. Right now I'm leaning towards a Minelab.

Willy

I'd think long & hard about getting a newer detector.? When it comes to depth it really depends on where you are and the mineralization. I've had so many detectors through the years that people claimed were depth demons which were a disappointment. For example, a buddy & I were hunting on the New Mex./Az border & had along an (old) Whites 4900, Sov., Gold Bug, Garrett Scorpion, Fisher Goldstrike. Guess which detector was the deepest. If you said Whites 4900 you'd be right on the money. These were inground tests using a 1/4 ounce nugget & various other targets. I've been gold/relic/coin hunting for about 20 yrs now and know what I'm about when using a detector & my friend has been doing so for about 30 yrs. There's been a lot of debate regarding the new units & depth & for evey person that claims a depth increase there's one that claims otherwise. Personally I'd say that, if you're comfortable with your detector, save your money & swing it. I'm somewhat of a detector slut & have tried a whole number of units (old & new) on my favorite heavily hunted trash pile beach. With EVERY detector I've pulled out deep silver. This site sees at least 5 detectorists a day during the summer.. probably more. What I've seen is that a lot of the newer machines are just more bells & whistles. They might excel in certain types of ground, but the same can be said about the older ones. Mostly, it is basically convenience your paying for & slight changes or tweaks ("Treasure Talk" anyone?). Right now I'm swinging a modded Cobra II that, with the 8" coil, is putting both my Sov. & GTI 1500 to shame. Don't get me wrong, they're fine detectors, but not the "best", nor is the Cobra II or, as far as I know, any detector being sold. I applaud the salesman you were talking to.. it seems like he's not "just trying to make a sale". As an aside, there are a few forums where there are pretty active discussions regarding the relative merits of old & new detectors of different brands. what it comes down to is that it's not so clear cut as some would have you believe. ..Willy.? ? ? ? ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread