The Worst Thing That's Ever Happened To Detectorist

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now it kills me to say the following, but here it goes. The absolute worst thing that has happened to detectorist in the last 20-25 years or so is the over-marking of, and the over-reliance on, VDI. Take my Nox 800, per example, take away this VDI and what remains? Take that VDI away and most detectorist will become completely lost. And why do we have this situation? We have this situation because manufacturers are working hard to shorten all of the learning curves and to make their machines more “turn-on-and-go” because that is the growing demand.

Case in point, I have a Sov Gt and a Nox 800 laying on my table, both have digital VDI meters. But here’s the huge difference, I can take the meter off of my Sov Gt and I can still hunt pretty darn effectively with it. This can’t be done with the Nox because there is no other means of target information being delivered to the user, just a selection of standard tones similar to that of budget Bounty Hunter, etc.

With the Sov, however, there is still an abundance of target information available to the user. However, the learning curve to be able to effectively apply these other avenues of information is rather long and difficult to learn. Now let’s put the meter back on the Sov and we have the best of both worlds with multiple avenues of target information being delivered to the user. So next to the Sov, and other machines like it, many of these newer machines are little more then over-hyped toys, and remember, I bought and own a Nox 800 so this same salt is getting poured into my wound as well.

On these newer machines the user is trusting the manufacturer to make most of the decisions for him and this is always a bad thing. Why? Because the manufacture can only do this by controlling the amount and the type of information the user is exposed to, this being the only way they can assume control over that shorter learning curve and that and more user friendly “turn-on-and-go” demand. Let some of those users of these new machines hear all of the variable tones in the set of my headphones on the Sov and they’ll likely say, “WTF is all of that crazy sounding noise!” Yep, it’s a lot of additional target information, target information that they’ll never be exposed to with many of today’s latest and greatest VDI reliant machines. And as for VDI, heck, it isn’t even all that reliable beyond fairly shallow coin shooting, and it’s not all that uncommon to see variances even in this general pursuit.

So there you go, I said it, all of this shortening of those essential vital learning curves is a bad thing, not a good thing. Suddenly it seems everyone is too reliant on VDI systems that aren’t even all that accurate simply because the manufacturers have made these machines simpler to learn and easier to use. But take away that VDI and what do these users have left? Not much in most cases. Take away that VDI and many of these latest and greatest machine become completely useless, especially true for the users who are so reliant on that VDI.

Case in point. I just got back from a short hunt among the trash in my local old park. While there I started experiencing a connection issue in the meter on the Sov so I just reached down and turned it off, and then I went about with my detecting as usual, never missed a stride and still recovered a number of good targets. Hardly missed having that VDI. Do this with some of these latest and greatest machines. Ain’t going to happen!

Upvote 0

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
We tend to walk over good targets relying on the vdi numbers.

I let my ears do the work for me. There are certain tones I am listening for.

I glance at the meter before digging but use my ears to determine what's actually down there first.

I've dug 207 silver coins in the last 17 months. Mostly with the nox or the vanquish.

I'm finding the vanquish is finding stuff the nox has missed. I tend to dig more with the lower end machines.

The results have been more finds too. The vanquish in low to moderate trash is a great machine.

In high trash i need to use the ctx etrac or nox. I'm just able to determine good finds mixed in the trash better with those machines.

Jer

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep it honest .. I don't have any machines with a television on them.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you need to put in more time with the Equinox. Maybe hunt without looking at VDI to learn more about what different targets sound like? There is a wealth of information in the tones. Especially if you are in 50 tones. Many nox users will talk about the subtle nuances they hear in different types of targets. I personally hunt mostly by sound. And I always hunt in 5 tones. I rarely look at the vdi until I am almost ready to dig a target and I am confirming what my ears heard. The tones can be long or short. Clipped or a quick double tone. The tones change at the edges of targets especially junk targets. Just to name a few subtle tone differences. If you are digging deep targets especially the VDI means very little. I decide to dig based on the information in my ears. I use vdi a lot if I'm digging 2 inch or less targets. To cherry pick quarters etc. Otherwise I'm using 80% sounds and 20% VDI at most.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread