Permission request

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I?ve always been Leary about door knocking for permissions but I found a property the other day that would be prime for hunting, 1900 homesite located on property the early pioneers settled. So I got the courage up to ask and the woman who answered was agitated right from the start and upset just for asking. Not the best experience for me being the first door knock, how do I get over that kind of response and knock for permissions again?

Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Just know that not every door will be a negative response. Go with the idea that the next door may be a pleasant yes..go right ahead. Dont let the people who say no discourage you. Let the people who allow you, give you the courage and motivation to do what you love.

Last edited:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Ask yourself if there was anything you did beyond just being there that caused some agitation (stood right at the door, whatever). Learn from it and good luck on the next door.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably nothing you could have done to save that one. Move along and keep trying.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep on a knockin. You will get those type of people with the negative attitudes. Just a shame it was your first door knock. I just thank them for their time and try going next door if the home is old enough . A lot of times the neighbor will allow me to hunt their yard, making the outing a success anyway, (and leave the first person scratching their head ) !

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad you posted this. I've yet to go a-knockin' but just last week identified a house built in 1900 around the corner from me that is still standing. Acre lot. My game plan is to bring my wife with me - I'll look a lot less like a creepy old guy randomly knocking on doors. Also plan to pull up in my vintage convertible, because it's always a conversation-starter wherever I go. Goofy, maybe, but I'm trying to put myself in their shoes - and if I was them and saw *me* pulling up in my old raggedy pickup, dressed like I usually am, I'd probably put my guard up too.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admire your courage in asking a total stranger. IMO, the trick is to find a mutual connection - a friend of a friend or relative to break the ice in conversation with the homeowner before you go ask totally out of the blue. Then they will not be caught by surprise.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is sad to say, but people in general are very 'stranger-danger' anywhere, and probably deservedly so. Knock permissions are like the Telemarketer phone call or the Political or Religious door knockers. An unexpected inconvenience.
I have yet to make a knock permission work yet. I even craft snail mail letters by researching online tax records, to inquire with the owners of properties I am interested in detecting explaining the detecting hobby and my interest, and that hasn't worked either. Most every place I've received permissions have been through a mutual contact.
Not saying I won't keep trying. Just Thank them anyway, and apologize for disturbing them.
And just keep on digg'n!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread