Detector acting weird at a certain beach

jridg

Dec 8, 2007
San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Magnet, Whites Bullseye II
We headed to La Jolla Shores today and as soon as I got the detector out of the car I got a constant chattering - No matter what I did - I thought maybe the batteries needed replacing - so I replaced them - same thing. Great! my new detector is on the fritz....got home - no chatter -

Are there areas that have some sort of electro-magnetic interference that would cause this?

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jridg said:
We headed to La Jolla Shores today and as soon as I got the detector out of the car I got a constant chattering - No matter what I did - I thought maybe the batteries needed replacing - so I replaced them - same thing. Great! my new detector is on the fritz....got home - no chatter -

Are there areas that have some sort of electro-magnetic interference that would cause this?

Sounds like a great lead in for an advertisement for Minelab.

I really couldn't say what the problem was...not enough info.

Badger

OP
OP
J

jridg

Dec 8, 2007
San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Magnet, Whites Bullseye II
It was basically a constant chattering tone - like it sensed trash - but it did this even when I had the detector loop up in the air. It was very odd. I was just glad that when I got it home and tried again - it was fine...

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had outdoor lighting effect my detector...it can be a problem in the early morning in parks before the sun comes up. Any electrical equipment giving off radio waves that your detector uses can cause this.

Some detectors allow you to change the base frequency to get around this.

HH!
TBGO

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I can think of about 5,670, 000,000 different reason for the interference, some electrical, some x-ray, some cosmic, some radar, etc, and some caused by Al Gore, and his "global warming". Just kidding. Well, ok, maybe not in the case of Al Gore.

A five (5) year old kid asked his Father about "global warming" one day because they had been discussing it school. After listening to him intently, the Dad then said; "Son, do you know what is causing global warming".

Sure, the son said; "the Democrats".

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
.......Yes....The Badger is right get a.....MINELAB.....and solve that problem... ==Jim==

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this happen on Myrtle Beach in some locations, but not others.
With so many businesses around I have to believe it is some type of electrical or antenna interference.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
One possibility is buried power lines, look for the transformer boxes. Microwave relay tower nearby or you in it's path?

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
jridg said:

I do not remember now all of the details but this had to be in the '80s while I was living in Los Angeles and I went to some beach. But I also had the same situation that you encountered and I couldn't understand what was happening until I noticed that in the distance there was an array of microwave antennas on a tall building near the beach. Whenever I faced them I got the constant chattering which lessened when I shielded the coil with my body. Nevertheless, I also had to quit that beach.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Lets see. Microwave towers has been covered. Underground power lines has been mentioned. Also could be over head power lines.

Might be a fleet of UFO's hovering above the clouds. Them things will cause havoc at the beach.

I have had similiar experience at a park that I hunt all the time, but on this one day no matter where I went, constant chatter. Left and went to another park, no problem. Strange, isn't it. Might be that the MD gods were angry that day or those darn UFO's are following me around.

HH
Ray S.
;D

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ray S ECenFL said:
Lets see. Microwave towers has been covered. Underground power lines has been mentioned. Also could be over head power lines.

Might be a fleet of UFO's hovering above the clouds. Them things will cause havoc at the beach.

I have had similiar experience at a park that I hunt all the time, but on this one day no matter where I went, constant chatter. Left and went to another park, no problem. Strange, isn't it. Might be that the MD gods were angry that day or those darn UFO's are following me around.

HH
Ray S.
;D
For some reason, while reading your reply I remembered details I left out of my post. It wasn't a Los Angeles beach, it was Central Park in New York City and the tall building is Trump's International Tower on Columbus Circle, and on the roof there is an arrary of antennas. Whenever I faced the building I would get interference so I walked backwards trying to shield my coil. I don't remember anything else except that I did a lot of detecting in the area and the disturbance didn't always happen so I don't know what happened that day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread