old Garrett fortune hunter

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
i just got an older model Garrett fortune hunter MD with a minicoil twin-circut discriminator coil, thru the online classifieds for $40.00, it came with 4- 9 volt batt's, i think they must be dead because it only buzz's for a second when turned on, the unit is painted a o.d. green color, i'm guessing it's a 1970's model but i'm not sure, does anyone here know anything about these units ?, should i bother with this machine or should i try to sell it and buy a newer model ?. i thought i had read somewhere that the older machines only found ferrous metals, is this correct ?

Pat.

Upvote 0
F

Floater

I hate to see an old dog die LobsterMan but like Lonewolf said Sell it. Then again. You could just call Garret and ask them what they think. Usually they repair anything for less than 50.00 dollars. Worth a call? HH

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a fortune hunter given to me less than two hours ago. My friend's grandfather gave it to me to see if I could it to work. I have'nt had any luck. I e-mailed garrett to see if they could help. I can't get it to turn on the knob is seized up.

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Welcome to the forums Willie, that should be an easy fix, and as long as the battery compartment isn't all corroded, it will probably work just fine. i use mine regularly and for being such an old dinosaur it works quite well ;) , the only down side to the one i have is that there is no way to turn down the volume, i don't dare use headphones with it, otherwise i'd go deaf from it with the first few find's ;D , oh well, i'll get a newer one eventually.

there's a great bunch of folks on here, always willing to help out, stick around a while, you might just learn a trick or two ;) .

Pat.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
Garrett will repair any of their machines and do it fairly. If you can venture a trip to their shop they will go even further out of thier way for you. I happened to go by their shop i n Texas in the early 90's looking for a tour. While they showed me around they took my GTA 350 and changed out the board to a 350A and replaced my mini coil, because the tech did not like the way the one I had was acting. When I asked how much they said no charge and told me that the 350 also now had a new guarentee, which they have since honored. They are upstanding people down there and I would not hesitate to send any of my machines to them to be fixed. They will call you if you ask and give you an honest opinion about the value of fixing them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions