How should I hunt this old homestead?

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Finally got permission to hunt this piece of property which goes back to the late 1800s. I only have a limited amount of time so I want to make the most of it. I don't have a picture but I can describe the setting. It is an old homestead. As you approach it comming west into the bottom of the valley, on the right sits a falling down barn, on the left there is a storage building, also falling down with a root cellar. This building sits on a rock foundation. The buildings are about 25 feet apart. About 25 feet ahead there is the back of the old house, and 20 feet to the right is the outhouse. There is also a well (hand) pump near the barn. There is lots of metal trash lying around. The area is about half to 3/4 an acre. I plan about three or four hours there tomorrow and a few on Sunday. What strategy should I use. I welcome any advice. I will be using my Eagle Spectrum. Thanks....

Upvote 0

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Renegade,
Be sure to take all the coils you have for your detector. Once you do a quick scan to prospect the property you may need to change coils. Also be sure to carefully tune your unit to the conditions and check the tune 3 or 4 times per hour to make sure it hasn't drifted or you bumped a button by mistake. Don't try to run any more gain that it takes to get the job done, especially if you only have a big coil. Running your threshold a little positive with your sensitivity a little low will give you more info than trying to run the sens too high with the threshold too low.
Don't forget to take extra batteries and be sure you don't leave any of your gear at home. It's easy to do when you have a great site like the one you found and are in a hurry to get there. Good luck with the hunt. Congratulations on the score, it sounds like a great place to search. Please keep us all posted... HH Highwater

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High Water gave excellent advice, Due to the surface trash a small coil will save you lots of time. Be sure to check out the paths from the house to each of the buildings and outhouse. Check around the back door of the house too as dishwashing water was tossed out and a lost ring may be there. Flower beds are good also because of the pulling of weeds and there will be less trash.

go slow and good luck,
Sandman

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The front yard of the homestead will always be an excellent spot to nab an old coin or two... That being said, I'd like to share with you something I've learned from hunting lots of old house SITES (not a trace of the houses still standing--just open cornfields): Pay special attention to the area between the house and the root cellar, as well as the area between the house and the well or water source. If this site is virgin, you're likely to find old coins at any of the spots mentioned above. If it has been hunted, focus on the trashy areas with a small coil as mentioned above, as well as any area that is not as obvious (like under old bushes or shrubs, outside of the fence rows in the front yard, or any area in back of the house).

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

-Buckleboy

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Possible location of a clothesline has not been mentioned, and tree swing.

R M P T R

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look for remnants of fence posts - chimneys, outhouses (depending on where, the old folks liked to plant lilacs and other fragrant flowers near the outhouses, and elderberry bushes indicate wetter than surrounding soil spots), big, big trees and tree trunks, and front and back door areas.

Also, any signs of an old block, stone or brick buildings - loose blocks in them. With chimneys, the bottom parts and cleanouts (favorite hiding places).

B

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
superduty said:
Don't forget to bring along a few squares of toilet paper.. Nothing ruins a nice hunt like being unprepared for the call of nature...

Or a run in with a ghost . ;D

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
psst.. if ya do run into a ghost....make sure ya bring a white sheet..toss it over your head and tell the ghost with detector in hand that your the ghost of detectors past.... hardy har har..ohh and a occasional booo or moan here n there wouldn't hurt

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Don't rub dirt and grime off an old find in the field.

Use a bit of SuperDuty's TP and wrap it up a tad to protect it 'til u get home.

R M P T R

OP
OP
renegade_7

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Hit the homestead last week. Only found a badge of some sort. The place is riddled with trash; aluminum and tin mostly, along with a few beer and cola cans.(Hunters) Also found several mason jar lids. Rechecked those holes for sure. Nothing else in there. Will go back again and take photos and spend another day in search. Also need to check out the root cellar. Hope the next search is better. Thanks for all the good advice, even the toilet paper. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread