Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Stupid Meters & tones!

How much do you love you detector's target ID features? Enough to pass up on a real diamond ring or deep valuable coin?

Did you know both visual and audio target ID features were made to work in air but not in the ground?

Simply recreate a real coin hunting situation in your coin garden and see what readings you get. Plant coins next to nails and foil (real life stuff) and bury silver at 6 inches or more.

Now try that "awesome" target ID machine on those puppies and see what it tells you.

I've been doing tests like this over the last few months and buying and selling detectors left and right. My conclusion is I've bought my last target ID gimmick. I may buy a machine that has target ID features but I won't buy it for those features. I'll buy it for depth and the fact it will work with those features turned off.

Facts:

Many targets read the exact opposite in the ground that they read in the air.

Deep dimes (over 5 inches) in mineralized soil often read and sound as pulltabs/foil/nickels/pennies or even as iron at extreme depths.

The tone machines are even worse. If you're using a tone machine, make sure you dig all IRON signals that are small in size and offer a tight signal. These are often deep old coins.

Many deep Indian cents read very much like foil.

SUM: Don't trust those stupid meters or tones! If possible dig everything that produces a tight small signal good from all directions.

You're welcome! Name your first seated dime after me. ;D

Upvote 0

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Stupid Meters & tones!

The HUMAN discriminator is part of the problem not the solution. TMI on these new lcd screens. People swing and look and look and swing, listen look, and swing, pinpoint and swing some more. Find a good, repeatable, short ,high tone-mid tone signal and dig it. Use the 50% rule on targets and you don't need a lcd screen with a bunch of crap going on. You'll out think yourself and the machine.

Those who love a info screen say, "Well, I only dug ten pieces of trash today." Yeah, and 20 holes.

I might dig 40 pieces of trash, but I also dig more holes and find more stuff.

That's all I have to say about that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread