84 coins in 2 hours ...(Pic)...

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
...and every stinkin' one a penny! >:(

I was detecting a wide open area that is pretty much devoid of decent finds except the odd modern coin.
I DID find a silver st christopher medal there a while back, but most finds there are aluminum wire , pulltabs & the occassional coin.

I was detecting this spot, because I never really detected the whole complete area. Anyway in a 4 foot x 4 foot area I started finding pennies... lots of pennies.... most were so close together that it was hard for my bigfoot coil to pinpoint them. I spent about 2 hours just digging pennies....just pennies.... no other coins.

Total was 84 pennies (50 of them are non-zincs) ...and not one newer than 1986. I stopped digging them because i was getting annoyed trying to find them all....odds are there is about 10-15 pennies still left in the immediate area. Dont know why there were so many in such a concentrated area, but it is the most coins pulled up in one outing from this site. Usually I can detect this site for 3 hours & only come away with 10-15 coins tops.

Ah well.... they still spend! ;)

Attachments

• 84pin2hrs.jpg
    84pin2hrs.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 299
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you got yourself a cache of pennies!..... Isn't there this little place in the back of your mind that keeps nagging at you to go back.......maybe there's something other than pennies that you didn't get? ;D I just hate digging a spot and not recovering what might be there....It drives me nuts!

Nana

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I know it gets quite frustrating....But as sure as sin.....once you give up on the area......Someone will come along and find a ring,a watch or some silver......

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Yuo are absolutely right!last year I was detecting along a raod at a fairgrounds and was getting a few coins well hit an area with zinc penny readings at only about 1 in deep at they were small fuses,then after digging a couple I said no more but the next one came up and i said what they hey and it was a 1899 indian head.you never know.

peace,bigrig

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Jim. You got quantity, just not quality! I had that happen to me last fall. I hit a local city park beach, and finding very little, decided to hit the dirt parking lot. I spent an hour hunting the first row of dirt parking spots, and hit ALL pennies, must have been 60 or 70 of em. Thats what I get for detecting the FREE city park beach, where you don't have to pay to park. The swimmers there are so cheap that's all they will lose is pennies, lol! Oh well, at least you came home with coins, and it does pad your total found coin count, lol! Roll em up and drop them in your savings acct, they'll add up after a few years. better luck next time!

OP
OP
Mi$$ouri Jim

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
Nana40 said:
Isn't there this little place in the back of your mind that keeps nagging at you to go back.......maybe there's something other than pennies that you didn't get?? ;D? ?I just hate digging a spot and not recovering what might be there....It drives me nuts!

Nana

Oh.... I WILL go back! To finish off the pennies & to complete detecting the whole area. It will take many many hours to detect it all.?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into what I expect was a roll of pennies in my back yard. They were all lined up in a row back to back about 3" deep but there were no remnants of the paper wrap and they were badly deteriorated, all clad. I dug abut half of them and quit thinking I would use it for a demo when company asks how my MD works. I have lived here 34 years and don't ever remember losing a roll of pennies so I have no idea where they came from?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mi$$ouri Jim said:
...and every stinkin' one a penny! >:(

Ah well.... they still spend! ;)

LOL!!

Still a good hunt though!

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread