Ace 250 or Silver uMax?

JDG186

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2008
North NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Hi everybody, new to this and looking for my first "real" detector. My wife got me a cheap one from Radio Shack for Christmas and I'm hooked! I have it narrowed down to the Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Silver uMax. I probably couldn't go wrong with either, but I'm looking for the best for my $$.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
These are really two entirely different machines.

I think each is good once understood.

Depth is something that gets argued back and forth. I never tested the 250 for depth. Reviews are so conflicting I have no idea when I'm hearing the truth about this machine.

As for the Silver with stock coil you're looking at an average of 5 inches on coins. Add the 12x10 coil and you can do an average coin depth of about 8 inches deep. The Silver is a smooth running detector that really finds stuff.

If the 250 is also smooth and can match these approximate depths it would be the better buy.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the Ace 250 has it's following, the Umax is the better detector I believe. With the Ace you get a LCD screen, which if followed, you'll leave a lot of good targets in the ground. The Umax also has a better warranty if you ever need it. Repairs are fast too, but many never get to experience this cause the thing never breaks............Hunters that have the Ace are always asking questions about poor pinpointing. It's just a learning curve and after practice it improves.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a Tesoro user I would have to say go with the silver. I'm seeing a lot of ace 250s for sale lately. Have you looked into the new fisher F2? It's getting rave reviews. I just ordered me one to try out in an old mobile home park that has been converted to a city park. I like the wealth of info on the screen plus the tone ID.
My guess is that it will take some time for my brain to learn to process all that info. Welcome and good hunting......

SkiWhiz

Aug 6, 2006
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre
The Silver uMax is the better of the two without a doubt. I have had and used both and I find the Tesoro Silver uMax the best detector that anyone can buy at under $250.00 I got just as good of or better results with the Silver uMax as I did with my Tesoro Cibola. It is one fantastic machine. You almost never find a used one if that tells you anything. Steve.

I forgot to add - even though the Silver uMax has no TID (display) you can "thumb" (turn) the discriminate dial to where the target gets rejected and you will have a very good idea of what the target is before you use it. The Silver runs very smooth and hits hard on coins and jewelry. Now you got me wantin another Silver uMax... Which is what I will get if the Vaquero I am going to get doesn't work out for me.

jtnjetta

Jan 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT,Vaquero, golden Umax,Compadre
with machines like the Umax, how do you know how deep the target is and how do you pinpoint it. I had thought about a Cibola at one time but didn't buy it partly cause I didn't know how deep to dig.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jtnjetta said:
with machines like the Umax, how do you know how deep the target is and how do you pinpoint it. I had thought about a Cibola at one time but didn't buy it partly cause I didn't know how deep to dig.

Most experienced hunters don't want the depth meters because they often can't be trusted anyway.

With the non-meter machines we learn target sounds and intensity and after while we get a pretty good idea of what the target is and its depth.

A small tight good-sounding signal that drops off when you raise the coil 2 inches may well be a deep coin. Loud blasting positive signals are usually shallow clad, etc.

In other words the signal quality is what gives the target away.

I used to use a meter machine and it was really nice when it was right. But the trouble is, you can't trust them.

Badger

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one like the depth meters....i guess with all the gun shooting I have done my hearing is not as good as it once was....Sooooo, I have had very very good luck with the digital meters on depth.

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax - IT ROCKS!
I have an Ace 250. Compared to the Tesoro Silver uMax I just bought, the Ace is a toy while the Silver is a tool. The Silver uMax is 10x the detector either the Ace or the F2 is. I don't have an F2 but it is getting pretty poor reviews from folks on here that I trust.

With the Silver, it 'sings' to you when you should dig. Plus, I don't like having to walk around looking at a screen. With the Silver, you just listen until it tells you to dig.

If you're coin hunting and turn the discrimination up, there is no doubt when you hit a coin. I found 3 pennies about 2" apart the other day, and I knew it was three coins before I started digging. The Ace would have only given one signal. Plus, I hate the 'ding' tone of the Ace. The Silver sounds like a cool drum circle with the choppy signals as you move thru trash but man, when you hit something good, it's like the Silver gets excited - perfectly obvious sound. It sings out, leaving no doubt where to dig.

I'm covering ground probably 10 times faster with the Silver than with the Ace and have much more confidence that I'm not leaving things of interest behind. Plus, it's just more fun.

I dug a dime at over 8" with the Silver this past weekend. The Ace never would have found it.

Oh, and the Ace is piss-poor at pinpointing compared to the Silver. I'm digging smaller holes and often just popping items instead of having to dig a plug. The Silver is spot on. Don't worry about depth. Dig your plug and scan to see if the signal is still in the hole. If so, dig until it's not.......

Anybody want to buy an Ace? I was keeping it around for friends but I think I'll sell it and buy another Silver. Then I can run a couple of different coils when I'm out alone.

OP
OP
JDG186

JDG186

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2008
North NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Thanks Guys.......I'll be ordering my Silver by the end of the week!

John

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Silver has my vote too!!! It's a great machine, it was built for one purpose and it does it well.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
The Tesoro´s are excellent on discrimination, and LCD screens info should alway´s be taken with a pinch of salt. Non LCD machines also tend to have a quicker response, and basically, outside of an iron signal, you´ll be digging everything anyway. The ACE is great iof you just want to do parks and dry beaches for modern coins and tat. But the Tesoro as stated is a better machine for general use, and also for older stuff.

OP
OP
JDG186

JDG186

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2008
North NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
OK, got my Silver today!! Got it together and did a few air tests. It's smaller than I thought it would be, but swings nice and looks great. Can't wait to get outside with it tomorrow. It's going to be cold here, but I don't care!
I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for all your advise everybody.

John

OkieMike

Dec 19, 2007
Moore,Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre and Cibola.
Congratulations on your wise purchase.I'm starting to see a lot of Ace users trade them in for Tesoro's.And there's a reason for that.You made the right choice.

OP
OP
JDG186

JDG186

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2008
North NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Well, I took my new Silver out in the backyard but didn't find anything but some old copper pipe fittings and some car parts. Oh yeah, lots of nails. I really believe the last owners must have buried a car back there. Anyway, since I got it I have had offers from lots of people to come to their house and do some detecting. Can't wait for the nice weather to hit. Thanks again for all the advise, I think I made the rite choice. I'll be asking lots of questions along the way, and from the posts I read here, I know you guys will have the answers.

John

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
The nails you should be able to discriminate out, without loosing the goodies.However don´t over do it on the discrimination, it´s no good having discriminated everything out, if you end up missing all the nice bits.

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Personally I own both and would rate them about even! Depth is about the same - discrimination is a notch on the ACE - that's an added benefit for me. The target I.D. is to be used as a guide only. I still love the Tesoro line for the small size and weight. Been detecting with the Garrett line for over 20 years - they still build a top notch product - and I have a shoebox full of silver to prove it.

Bavarianminister

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread